Questions about vortec mp10wqd and mp40wqd

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon aquarium I’m not sure what would be better two mp10 or one mp40. The local fish store has one mp40 on a tank that is five feet long and the flow looks good but I know you can link 2 together so two 10s might be nice to link together for better flow. I have never owned any of these pumps so I’m looking for some advice. Thanks everyone for the help

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS dominant 80 gallon. I have 2 mp40’s, 1 mp10, and 2 gyre 330’s. The MP10 was from a 20 gallon tank that I shut down. I have a lot of flow for sure and is overkill if you are just starting a tank. However, you will find that the MP10 is not enough flow at all.

You should start with 2 mp40’s as a base, in my opinion. I had 1 MP10 and 1 mp40 for a while and that was not enough. A lot of this will depend on what coral you want to keep as well. Check your glass thickness as well. My MP10 barely stays on the glass because it is too thick. I have to use zip tie mounts to keep it in place.

From my experience it’s better to start with more than you think you need so you don’t buy a pump to find out 6 months later it’s not enough and have to rebuy something else, which I have done too many times. The MP40 will go pretty low on flow if you are worried about too much.

The biggest thing I worry about is keeping detritus off the bottom of my tank and it takes many pumps positioned all around the tank to make that happen in my experience. If I am doing that I know my coals are getting the flow they need as well.

OP
OP
F

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m thinking about keeping a mixed reef tank maybe a few sps but mostly easy stuff and I was planning on buying some random flow generators for the lock line. I know sps need a lot of flow I don’t think I need that much though I was thinking around 20 to 30 times turnover

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d answered .... then I see you’ve two threads on the same topic. Did you get the same advice LOL?

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp10's on opposite sides of my Reefer 350 mixed reef and think flow is more than sufficient for a mixed reef. It will depend on your glass thickness I think, an MP 10 will only hold on max 10mm glass. So I can run them on my side glass, not on the back which is 12 mm.

20191106_120425.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back