Questions for anyone with experience with adding fish after having a Dottyback. (I have a Neon CB)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrimp goby jumped out of my DT after I re-scaped last month unfortunately I think I spooked him and changed his environment a little too much.

My Pistol shrimp has been super quite and lonely since then, and it's been sad.

I added a Neon Dotty and another Shrimp Goby 2 weeks ago, but the Shrimp Goby was in bad shape from shipping and died about 2 hours later, my CUC pulled him under my aquascape before I could pull him out with tweezers.... anyway 4 hours later there wasn't even bones.

I normally don't buy on impulse at LFS, but they had a Yasha Shrimp Goby and I've wanted one for the last year and a half but was never willing to pay 100+ not including shipping from the online retailers.

LFS was selling him for $40 probably because he's so small too!

I had to go for it.....

I knew my Dottyback wasn't going to like it, and thought ahead (hence the cup) but wasn't sure how angry he'd be (He's pretty angry it turns out) wondering a couple things now.

1. I'm not 100% sure my dottyback will adjust. I'm hoping after 3-4 days he'll decide to leave him alone. Anyone have any experience with them stopping agression after awhile? From what I know Neon CB's are on the "lower" aggressive side for dottybacks. If that even matters...

2. If he doesn't stop full agression after 3-4 days, would my Yasha be safer just hopefully finding my pistol shrimp and co-existing for protection. My Pistols' about 3 inches now, he's a big boy.

Thanks for any specific advice. (don't need comments about me skipping QT :p, I trust there's no parasites from this LFS, I know no one can ever be 100% sure but I'm not worried about it).

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much advice as I had a neon dottyback many years ago and quite to the contrary, he was a model citizen. He never went after any fish. Fast forward 25 years and I stated here that I would love to recreate the fish lineup I had so many years ago and a number of folks told me to skip the neon dottyback. I didn't know why, and then all these horror stories about how bad they are.
Well, unfortunately you are living the neon dottyback horror show in person.

My only suggestion is to sump him for an extended period of time and hope that when you reintroduce him, he would be the new guy and behave accordingly.
Some fish no matter how bad you want them, they just may be to hard to handle.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much advice as I had a neon dottyback many years ago and quite to the contrary, he was a model citizen. He never went after any fish. Fast forward 25 years and I stated here that I would love to recreate the fish lineup I had so many years ago and a number of folks told me to skip the neon dottyback. I didn't know why, and then all these horror stories about how bad they are.
Well, unfortunately you are living the neon dottyback horror show in person.

My only suggestion is to sump him for an extended period of time and hope that when you reintroduce him, he would be the new guy and behave accordingly.
Some fish no matter how bad you want them, they just may be to hard to handle.
Yeah makes sense.

This is an AIO.

my 4ft build got put on hold after scaping and filling due to a seam bust.

so my next big build is still on hold for a year or so more.

So no sump! Worst case I’ll bring the Yasha back for store credit.

but I’m really hoping he just gives it up after a couple days lol.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah makes sense.

This is an AIO.

my 4ft build got put on hold after scaping and filling due to a seam bust.

so my next big build is still on hold for a year or so more.

So no sump! Worst case I’ll bring the Yasha back for store credit.

but I’m really hoping he just gives it up after a couple days lol.
Cross your fingers, some battles are just temporary squabbles.
My yellow and purple tang want to war the first couple of weeks, now they tolerate themselves and they both went after my flame angel but that too was just bluster initially.
Again, good luck and I hope it works itself out!!!
Keep us posted, these stories will help others who inevitably will find themselves in the same boat.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross your fingers, some battles are just temporary squabbles.
My yellow and purple tang want to war the first couple of weeks, now they tolerate themselves and they both went after my flame angel but that too was just bluster initially.
Again, good luck and I hope it works itself out!!!
Keep us posted, these stories will help others who inevitably will find themselves in the same boat.
There’s already way less aggression and more curiosity.

before he was going to the cup and attacking it every 10 seconds.

now he examines it every 30-40 seconds and only nips at it 1 out of 3 times.

I think a couple days and he’ll lose interest.

I’ll try to let the Yasha out right before lights out tomorrow or the following day, And pray he just instantly burrows with my pistol.

Edit: Okay my times were a little exaggerated. Did a little video below. I lost him for a second.... a couple times.... lol but this is his normal behavior. minus the new addition he's not so happy about.

Looks like he completes a "round" on "his tank" every 2-3 minutes.

But as you can also see, the agression from the first video to here, IS WAY less, So that's hopeful. Right? :p Silly Dottybacks.

How did they even get the nomer Dottyback? from Pseudochromis?

Last edited:

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last two neon dottybacks would not tolerate any similar or smaller sized new fish in the tank. They are one of the most aggresive small fish I have ever kept. I would observe very closely when you release the Yasha and be prepared to intervene quickly. Good luck, but I will be surprised if he accepts him.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last two neon dottybacks would not tolerate any similar or smaller sized new fish in the tank. They are one of the most aggresive small fish I have ever kept. I would observe very closely when you release the Yasha and be prepared to intervene quickly. Good luck, but I will be surprised if he accepts him.
Appreciate the honest answer.

It may not work out.

I'm just a "pessimitistic optimist".

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the dottyback and put him in another tank or the acclimation box and allow the Yasha to establish a burrow before releasing the dottyback, I think you might have a better chance.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the dottyback and put him in another tank or the acclimation box and allow the Yasha to establish a burrow before releasing the dottyback, I think you might have a better chance.
We’ll,

yesterday by 4 he wasn’t even swimming to the right side of the tank.

I let the Yasha out, who immediately went into my pistols tunnel network.

(the hole in the center)

D62FF1DF-7FB1-4923-B83F-AD003913DF66.jpeg

3 minutes later I heard 1 pop, and I’ve yet to see either pop out since.

So…. Either my pistol popped him right away, or they’re “hiding out for now”

I’ll know in a couple days. But I think as long as he only pops out for food he’ll make it til he’s big enough to fend for his own.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of angelfish is that you have?
Golden dwarf Angel, he’s mostly a model citizen, But they’re a pretty penny :-/. The most timid and shy of all angels for sure though.

After you asked I decided to research more on them other than just knowing they're "rarer" in the hobby.

Edit: Studying more on them and the reason they cost so much. Interesting to understand him more and appreciate him more.

They're big hiders. Basically when nervous they just hide, they don't swim frantically around they are smart and just hide, and stay hidden.

So they're hard to catch wild, without using cyanide. since bans on cyanide fishing they prices spiked way up basically since it would be harder and rare to catch one in the wild and then keep alive. Basically since they spook easily it's hard to a. catch them. b. keep them alive after since they spook and are hard to get to feed and adapt to aquarium life.

the one I bought bad been "aqua cultured" which basically means bred and raised in a farm, I imagine they had wild caught original parents. but makes me feel a little better since I can see the trauma and lots of life loss by trying to catch them in the wild and make shape them to aquarium lifestyle.

Also since he's used to aquarium life since birth he's way less shy and super active which makes for great pet fish :). Maybe also why he's mines not a coral nipper? who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of update?

I saw my pistol shrimp last evening. and was surprised, I then saw the yasha on the opposite side of the tank, and my dottyback shortly after chasing him. I guess maybe my pistol kicked him out? LOL.

I ushered the goby back to the burrow with the pistol shrimp. Didn't hear any noises. and they both disappeared inside.

And I've yet to see either since again....

*sigh.

fingers still crossed it all works out.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.

Found him... was about to change my socks....

Ugh... frigging dottyback....

hmmm....

Maybe I'll just leave him there till he's bigger.

He gets all the food he wants... and he's safe lolllll.

IMG_2479.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dotty back and it had no problem killing fish larger then it. Including a large damsel. I doubt a yasha being bigger would make a difference.

Dottys are pretty but I would probably return the dotty so I could get other fish.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dotty back and it had no problem killing fish larger then it. Including a large damsel. I doubt a yasha being bigger would make a difference.

Dottys are pretty but I would probably return the dotty so I could get other fish.
That's been on the back of my mind as well.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s not even “aggression” as territorial, and the problem is it’s all the dottyback’s territory. I have an orchid, and am in the same boat. This situation won’t go away. Best thing that may happen is that the goby finds a spot where they can avoid the dotty. But anytime they go to a burrow it’s just a matter of time before the dottyback finds them and chases them off. You will likely never see that shrimp again either. I can still hear mine, but it knows it’s not safe out in the open.

It stinks. One of these fish has to go, and unfortunately it’s probably the goby since you’ve already “caught” him. Catching the dottyback is nigh impossible. You’ll have to trap it, and after researching that for a while I can tell you it’s not going to be a simple task.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s not even “aggression” as territorial, and the problem is it’s all the dottyback’s territory. I have an orchid, and am in the same boat. This situation won’t go away. Best thing that may happen is that the goby finds a spot where they can avoid the dotty. But anytime they go to a burrow it’s just a matter of time before the dottyback finds them and chases them off. You will likely never see that shrimp again either. I can still hear mine, but it knows it’s not safe out in the open.

It stinks. One of these fish has to go, and unfortunately it’s probably the goby since you’ve already “caught” him. Catching the dottyback is nigh impossible. You’ll have to trap it, and after researching that for a while I can tell you it’s not going to be a simple task.

Lol! I can hear the frustration with your ditty through the text!

yeah my Yasha is happy in the sock for now.

I’m a slow mover normally when it comes to my tank.

probably in 2 or 3 weeks I’ll finally make a decision and just do it wham bam.

but I’ll mull it over for awhile.

did add 5 new frags today though for my birthday!

that I’m happy about.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I can hear the frustration with your ditty through the text!

yeah my Yasha is happy in the sock for now.

I’m a slow mover normally when it comes to my tank.

probably in 2 or 3 weeks I’ll finally make a decision and just do it wham bam.

but I’ll mull it over for awhile.

did add 5 new frags today though for my birthday!

that I’m happy about.
Hah, well I think you have the right attitude. I’m learning that I’m not going to win every battle in this game. My motto now is: “mixed reef = mixed results.”

New corals are the best birthday present! Enjoy them!

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrimp goby jumped out of my DT after I re-scaped last month unfortunately I think I spooked him and changed his environment a little too much.

My Pistol shrimp has been super quite and lonely since then, and it's been sad.

I added a Neon Dotty and another Shrimp Goby 2 weeks ago, but the Shrimp Goby was in bad shape from shipping and died about 2 hours later, my CUC pulled him under my aquascape before I could pull him out with tweezers.... anyway 4 hours later there wasn't even bones.

I normally don't buy on impulse at LFS, but they had a Yasha Shrimp Goby and I've wanted one for the last year and a half but was never willing to pay 100+ not including shipping from the online retailers.

LFS was selling him for $40 probably because he's so small too!

I had to go for it.....

I knew my Dottyback wasn't going to like it, and thought ahead (hence the cup) but wasn't sure how angry he'd be (He's pretty angry it turns out) wondering a couple things now.

1. I'm not 100% sure my dottyback will adjust. I'm hoping after 3-4 days he'll decide to leave him alone. Anyone have any experience with them stopping agression after awhile? From what I know Neon CB's are on the "lower" aggressive side for dottybacks. If that even matters...

2. If he doesn't stop full agression after 3-4 days, would my Yasha be safer just hopefully finding my pistol shrimp and co-existing for protection. My Pistols' about 3 inches now, he's a big boy.

Thanks for any specific advice. (don't need comments about me skipping QT :p, I trust there's no parasites from this LFS, I know no one can ever be 100% sure but I'm not worried about it).

I had a neon dottyback and he was by far the most aggressive fish I have ever seen. Think of a great white going after his prey but more for fun not to eat. I thought my flameback was bad cause he bullies everything new that comes into the tank, but the neon dottyback was 100 times worse. Even killed a puffer so that says something

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank raised neon that never bothered any other fish……but he was the last fish I added. They have a horrible reputation! One person said theirs would eat the eyeballs off of smaller fish and shrimp!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back