Questions For Those With Collector Shrooms

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting my first frag of a collector mushroom today and the last things I want it to do is melt or detach.

So I came up with a few questions regarding the care of these mushrooms.

Where do you all, that have mushrooms on frag plugs, disks, other non-natural things, keep the mushrooms in your tank that keeps them from detaching from their object? or how do you keep them from detaching?

Is there any special way I should go about acclimating the mushroom? I know it is just a mushroom, but this was not a cheap mushroom so I am trying to avoid all careless mistakes that could occur with introducing it to my tank.

Have you found any additives or foods that mushrooms in particular like? Perhaps something that would enhance or maintain coloration and proper growth?

TIA

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collector shroom??? got any pics?? I know there are some named ones and ones that look better but never heard of any classified as collector lol

Seriously tho, shrooms will detatch when they run out of room, and if you want to make sure it is fully attatched before placing it anywhere, put it in a small tupperware bowl with a small piece of rubble (or frag plug even maybe) in low flow for a few days to let it get a good grip then glue it in place it in a lower flow area to ensure it doesnt just get ripped off the rockwork.

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6 "designer" mushrooms and with new additions I always keep them secured inside a plastic cup until Im certain they will not detach. A simple slice down the bottom of a 9oz dixie cup will do the trick!!

I have all my shrooms in a "mixed" reef housing sps, lps, and softies that is a "heavy import, heavy export" system; meaning I feed 2-3 times daily, super skim, gfo, carbon, and perform consistent weekly WC's.

Personally I havent noticed too much in terms of dependance upon specific parameters or additives. -I have seen designer shrooms do well in a wide array of systems.

With that said, my theory is simple with regard to husbandry and reproduction: I have found if you position, say for example my Jawbreaker mothers, in an area with little to no light they will "crawl" to the light leaving babies behind. Again only a THEORY!!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collector shroom??? got any pics?? I know there are some named ones and ones that look better but never heard of any classified as collector lol

Seriously tho, shrooms will detatch when they run out of room, and if you want to make sure it is fully attatched before placing it anywhere, put it in a small tupperware bowl with a small piece of rubble (or frag plug even maybe) in low flow for a few days to let it get a good grip then glue it in place it in a lower flow area to ensure it doesnt just get ripped off the rockwork.

Lol, I knew someone would bring this up. I had no clue what else to call mushrooms that people actually collect. I think I will try the tupperware idea, thanks.

I have about 6 "designer" mushrooms and with new additions I always keep them secured inside a plastic cup until Im certain they will not detach. A simple slice down the bottom of a 9oz dixie cup will do the trick!!

I have all my shrooms in a "mixed" reef housing sps, lps, and softies that is a "heavy import, heavy export" system; meaning I feed 2-3 times daily, super skim, gfo, carbon, and perform consistent weekly WC's.

Personally I havent noticed too much in terms of dependance upon specific parameters or additives. -I have seen designer shrooms do well in a wide array of systems.

With that said, my theory is simple with regard to husbandry and reproduction: I have found if you position, say for example my Jawbreaker mothers, in an area with little to no light they will "crawl" to the light leaving babies behind. Again only a THEORY!!

Ok so I will definitely be locating a temporary containment cup of some kind. My system is similar to yours, but probably more of a heavy import system than export.

That is a very interesting theory on the reproduction of mushrooms!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread.Following.Would be cool to see some pics. Heres a couple of mine.
Always found them to be pretty hardy, seem to ship well. Havent had one detach yet.

Attachments

• KrystalsShroom.jpg
    KrystalsShroom.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back