Questions- Upgrading to a new tank

Shane2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 56 gallon tank for 13 years. I will be getting a Rea Sea Reefer 250 next week. My main concerns involve cycling of the new tank and keeping my livestock alive and well. I have to move current tank. So I will have to drain most of the water to move it. I have three firefish, clownfish, bicolor bleeny, watchman gobby, tiger pistol shrimp. I am getting new live rock and sand (Caribsea live rock and sand).

1. Cycling of new tank- I had thought about creating a refugium the sump of new tank and putting some sand and live rock in from current tank. Whould that help move the cycle along?
2. Livestock- My plan was to catch everything but the gobby and pistol shrimp. They will retreat current tunnel. Put fish in 5 gallon bucket with water from current tank (would put a heater in bucket to match temp of tank). Then it will be a waiting game until the new tank cycles.

I am sure there are other things to be considering when moving livestock to a new tank. I'm open to suggestions.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have old established live rock from existing tank?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. From original set up. So 13 years.
Those rocks would definitely get your tank ready fast! That established rock would have your tank ready basically instantly. So I think your steps are a good plan.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium is a great addition and we always run them whenever possible. That 13 year old rock is reef-gold, use every bit of it in the new system as long as it's pest-free. I would also do a water change with some of the old aquarium's water. At least 10 gallons. Your new tank will cycle, but it will be mild at best. Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back