Quick death

Cherim7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could've killed my yellow tang within hours of these physical symptoms showing?

20170320_191732.jpg
20170320_191720.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like trama or bacterial infection. Did a rock/coral fall on him?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly a gram negative bacterial infection. Septicemia may be part of it.

+1 Hemorrhagic septicemia; there is both a viral and bacterial version of this disease. The virus is impossible to cure, the bacterial infection is very difficult to treat and highly contagious. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the virus or bacteria had to come from somewhere....it doesn't travel through the air....It would not lay dormant for 6+ years. What did you add last and when?

+1 Another fish could have been the original host. Possibly a fish with acquired immunity. Or a single bacterium could have come in on a drop of water on a new coral frag. It could be something that simple and seemingly innocent.

Palma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from a trip to Europe a few days ago and discovered a few red patches on my yellow tang. Yesterday it erupted and covered about 80% of his body. I woke up this morning and he was dead at the bottom of the tank. My friend who was taking care of the fish while I was one said she thought that red algae grew on him. This didn't make any sense. He also stopped eating when these patches appeared. I have some other fish in the tank, will they get it too?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info, so ofcourse you would use the Oxytetracycline or Kanamycin

im only worried that some fish might not accept the flake either because the fish is sick and wont eat or a new fish that only eats certain types of food. though im going to buy some of this stuff it sounds very good.

whats the shelf life? hopefully itll never be used

Last edited:

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not eating then I don't know how you would go about it. All my fish ate this stuff up. I keep it in the freezer to extend the shelf life. I'll have to look when I get home what it says though.

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info, so ofcourse you would use the Oxytetracycline or Kanamycin

im only worried that some fish might not accept the flake either because the fish is sick and wont eat or a new fish that only eats certain types of food. though im going to buy some of this stuff it sounds very good.

whats the shelf life? hopefully itll never be used
Just a heads up, if kanamycin is used in food it will just cause a GI purge. It does not get absorbed via the GI tract.

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, if kanamycin is used in food it will just cause a GI purge. It does not get absorbed via the GI tract.
By purge do you mean laxative? and if so, would this become a possible treatment for bloat? (if constipation is the cause?)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back