Quick I was trying to catch ghost shrimp for fishing and I took them home in a livewell and they had babies...

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's an example tank from a guy in the UK

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got some good options as to what you can gather , you keep the Catalina goby since it is a cool water species.

but as far as what you can probably gather easily are things like a rockpool blenny or a small purple urchin along with things like the brittle stars.
those do sound like cool species, I have found some really tiny rockpool blenny before but dont have a Catalina goby and I have found sea stars that have wiggly arms and they walk

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah some really cool stuff washes up in the kelp too , all a good excuse to go to the beach lol.
also if there's a good clean spot too away from the heavily populated areas you can gather fresh seawater too for water changes.
I know Paul b. dose that for his water changes and he's pretty much the grand pappy in the hobby.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah some really cool stuff washes up in the kelp too , all a good excuse to go to the beach lol.
also if there's a good clean spot too away from the heavily populated areas you can gather fresh seawater too for water changes.
I know Paul b. dose that for his water changes and he's pretty much the grand pappy in the hobby.
I don't make my own sea water because my dad doesn't wanna buy the things, I gather fresh sea water in buckets

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't make my own sea water because my dad doesn't wanna buy the things, I gather fresh sea water in buckets
yeah a little 10 gal would be super easy to take care of then if you gotta do it like that since you won't be running it warm.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have given the adult ghost shrimp 3 inches of sand, a bubbler, and a filter. they are in a bucket but I am moving them to a tank tomorrow. The baby ghost shrimp are in an empty peanut butter jar with 1 inch of sand yet to get a tank, they babies have a bubbler. me and my dad are going to the store tomorrow to get all the food for them.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, the water is at 51 degrees right around where you said it should be. but I don't see why the baby ghost shrimp wouldn't get sucked up by the chiller, my dad is building a chiller rn. the chillers cost hundreds so we are building our own

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, the water is at 51 degrees right around where you said it should be. but I don't see why the baby ghost shrimp wouldn't get sucked up by the chiller, my dad is building a chiller rn. the chillers cost hundreds so we are building our own
Yeah, you may need to cover the intake on the chiller with a mesh - nylon mesh is what's typically used as far as I know. With Neotrypaea californiensis, the larvae when first hatched range from 2.8-3.6mm, so you just need to make sure the holes in the mesh are smaller than 2.8mm (the hole size is called "aperture" for mesh, so you want an aperture that's less than 2.8mm; thankfully this isn't hard to find - even something as common as mosquito netting should work, and lots of places online carry fine, nylon mesh specifically for aquariums). Some people have used things like tights as a makeshift mesh, but doing so does have a few downsides.

One other thing to keep in mind if you haven't considered it already, to keep the aquarium from getting too cold with a chiller, you'll want to run it with a temperature controller/thermostat (you basically tell the controller what temperatures you want the chiller to turn on and off at and it does so automatically - I'd probably have it turn off anywhere from 50-54F, and have it turn on at 56 or 57F). The most commonly used ones in the hobby are Inkbird brand, like the one in the link below:

Edit: to add, I'd suggest going smaller on the mesh just to be safe with the food for the larvae (you can find 50 micron nylon meshes online for a decent price), but you would probably have to replace it/clean the debris off of it relatively frequently. Also, a lot of people just cut the mesh to fit over the intake and then rubber band it in place - this makes replacing/cleaning the mesh pretty easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you may need to cover the intake on the chiller with a mesh - nylon mesh is what's typically used as far as I know. With Neotrypaea californiensis, the larvae when first hatched range from 2.8-3.6mm, so you just need to make sure the holes in the mesh are smaller than 2.8mm (the hole size is called "aperture" for mesh, so you want an aperture that's less than 2.8mm; thankfully this isn't hard to find - even something as common as mosquito netting should work, and lots of places online carry fine, nylon mesh specifically for aquariums). Some people have used things like tights as a makeshift mesh, but doing so does have a few downsides.

One other thing to keep in mind if you haven't considered it already, to keep the aquarium from getting too cold with a chiller, you'll want to run it with a temperature controller/thermostat (you basically tell the controller what temperatures you want the chiller to turn on and off at and it does so automatically - I'd probably have it turn off anywhere from 50-54F, and have it turn on at 56 or 57F). The most commonly used ones in the hobby are Inkbird brand, like the one in the link below:

Edit: to add, I'd suggest going smaller on the mesh just to be safe with the food for the larvae (you can find 50 micron nylon meshes online for a decent price), but you would probably have to replace it/clean the debris off of it relatively frequently.

but wouldn't the baby just get stuck on the mesh because it is sucking the water in?

edit: my dad is building in a temperature regulator so it shuts off at a certain temperature and heats it up when it is below 50 during the night, so it will consistently be around 55 degrees

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but wouldn't the baby just get stuck on the mesh because it is sucking the water in?
You can take it a step further to protect them if you're concerned about this by fencing off part of the aquarium they're in with the mesh to separate them from the chiller intake (i.e. you could block off like 1/3 of the aquarium to keep the chiller in using the mesh, then keep the larvae in the other 2/3 - as long as the aquarium isn't tiny, this would dilute the suction the fry are exposed to significantly, and should make it safe enough).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take it a step further to protect them if you're concerned about this by fencing off part of the aquarium they're in with the mesh to separate them from the chiller intake (i.e. you could block off like 1/3 of the aquarium to keep the chiller in using the mesh, then keep the larvae in the other 2/3 - as long as the aquarium isn't tiny, this would dilute the suction the fry are exposed to significantly, and should make it safe enough).
ooooh ok

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the specimen you have is only 1 mm, then it's a different critter altogether - probably some kind of pod. Do you have pics you could show of the creature in question?
I will get pics when I am done with school, this one is skin color, the other ones that died were like pink and they were the right size around 2-3mm. I think this last one is different

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the specimen you have is only 1 mm, then it's a different critter altogether - probably some kind of pod. Do you have pics you could show of the creature in question?
I got some pics in 4k but it is so small it is blurry I will send them rn

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the small dot is it, its on the side
pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG
I put it on a paper towel to see it better, it is still too small
pic3.PNG
here is an up close of it on the plastic

and here is it again
pic4.PNG

edit: it swims around alot and from far away it looks like a triop or whatever it is

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a bit of a shot in the dark here based on your description of it and the color of the dot in the photo, does it look like the creature in the link below?

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a bit of a shot in the dark here based on your description of it and the color of the dot in the photo, does it look like the creature in the link below?
yeah it looks like that but a little fatter and I think it has a little tail

edit: lemme go look at it
edit 2: nope it looks nothing like that I will make a drawing and post it

Back