Quick Poll on disease using either ocean rock or live rock from healthy system. Or dry bottle back system.

Have you experienced fish disease with dry rock bottle bac or live ocean rock or mud?

• Yes Live Rock

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes Dry rock

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Both Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Never with Either

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Other- Please Explain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't believe matters- Please explain

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to do a quick simple poll.
How many of you experienced fish disease/bjd or other bacterial infections using live rock, mud or rock from healthy system?
How many of you have experienced disease using dry rock bottle bac?
Both?
Or never?
Interesting to see what we find out here.

Wanted to open this up to bacterial infections regarding coral for example bjd, rtn etc.

I do understand that some reefers here especially in lab settings have most likely seen it all. And would love to hear discussion on that so I added other.
I'm really just looking for raw data to see what the majority of regular everyday reefers are seeing and experiencing based on using live rock or mud as opposed to dry rock bottlebac start ups or established systems.

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you experienced fish disease/bjd or other bacterial infections using live rock, mud or rock from healthy system? Never
How many of you have experienced disease using dry rock bottle bac? once: bacterial
Both?
Or never?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you experienced fish disease/bjd or other bacterial infections using live rock, mud or rock from healthy system? Never
How many of you have experienced disease using dry rock bottle bac? once: bacterial
Both?
Or never?
Right on thanks for vote. So technically it would be a yes for bottlebac dry rock?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock and bottled bacteria and saw no fish disease as a results of that- which is expected right? Later down the road I added a small rock from an LFS to improve diversity; no issues there either.

Hope that helps.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What up tonight?

When you are saying disease, you are not including parasitic then, only bacterial I guess.

I have never had a bacterial infection that was not secondary to an injury or other issue, so I would have to say no on coming from live rock.

It would be an interesting discussion for Eli @AquaBiomics . His whole thing was looking at what was available in the aquarium I believe

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What up tonight?

When you are saying disease, you are not including parasitic then, only bacterial I guess.

I have never had a bacterial infection that was not secondary to an injury or other issue, so I would have to say no on coming from live rock.

It would be an interesting discussion for Eli @AquaBiomics . His whole thing was looking at what was available in the aquarium I believe
Whats up man long time no see!
There's been alot of discussion here lately about fish disease and cipro treatments and other things for corals and such.
Let's open it up to parasitic for sure!
I've had my own share of pathogens with shrooms. Was really just looking for raw data on how many of us are experiencing illness, disease, bacterial infections etc using live ocean rock vs dry rock. So far its looking like its pretty much a tie using both dry and live together. Not much in the way using live ocean rock by itself and some not experiencing any kind of sickness in tank at all.
Just looking to see if correlations can be made one way or the other.
Really no right or wrong answer hopefully more people vote so we can put some data together here.

On Edit: Great idea tagging @AquaBiomics Id imagine he would have alot of raw data on samples taken. Curious if the dry vs ocean/live rock data would be seprated.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up man long time no see!
There's been alot of discussion here lately about fish disease and cipro treatments and other things for corals and such.
Let's open it up to parasitic for sure!
I've had my own share of pathogens with shrooms. Was really just looking for raw data on how many of us are experiencing illness, disease, bacterial infections etc using live ocean rock vs dry rock. So far its looking like its pretty much a tie using both dry and live together. Not much in the way using live ocean rock by itself and some not experiencing any kind of sickness in tank at all.
Just looking to see if correlations can be made one way or the other.
Really no right or wrong answer hopefully more people vote so we can put some data together here.
I will say out of all the tanks I started the last one, my 60 I did with the LR from TBA was my favorite. I stocked it same day I filled it with fish and never lost any to disease. I had a butthole damsel that harassed and killed most, but I still have most damsels and the flame angel and shrimp from day 1 in there.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say out of all the tanks I started the last one, my 60 I did with the LR from TBA was my favorite. I stocked it same day I filled it with fish and never lost any to disease. I had a butthole damsel that harassed and killed most, but I still have most damsels and the flame angel and shrimp from day 1 in there.
Love my gulf rock man. The wife still gets excited going in to check on things after lights off when all the critters come out.
Knock on wood ive never had an issue with fish disease. Maybe ive been lucky picking them. Until recently ive only ever brought fish home after observation in tank at a cpl lfs that have pretty stringent qt and conditioning practice so thats probably where where I get most of my luck. I did just recently drop a wrasse in I got from online vendor. So far so good.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my gulf rock man. The wife still gets excited going in to check on things after lights off when all the critters come out.
Knock on wood ive never had an issue with fish disease. Maybe ive been lucky picking them. Until recently ive only ever brought fish home after observation in tank at a cpl lfs that have pretty stringent qt and conditioning practice so thats probably where where I get most of my luck. I did just recently drop a wrasse in I got from online vendor. So far so good.

That reminds me, I need a wrasse.:)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210829_152951.jpg

My little guy i got from @Reefpro
Don't check out his weekly drops or you may go broke haha. Great fish and super healthy and had fat belly full of pods an hour after in tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to do a quick simple poll.
How many of you experienced fish disease/bjd or other bacterial infections using live rock, mud or rock from healthy system?
How many of you have experienced disease using dry rock bottle bac?
Both?
Or never?
Interesting to see what we find out here.

Wanted to open this up to bacterial infections regarding coral for example bjd, rtn etc.

I do understand that some reefers here especially in lab settings have most likely seen it all. And would love to hear discussion on that so I added other.
I'm really just looking for raw data to see what the majority of regular everyday reefers are seeing and experiencing based on using live rock or mud as opposed to dry rock bottlebac start ups or established systems.
I said - don't believe matters - and I guess the poll results bear that out - since the answers are evenly spaced. Disease enters the tank through a new fish - or the uncovering of pathogen that was 'hidden' (for example - CI hiding dormant in anaerobic conditions) - OR a stress event that causes innate immunity to fail. IMHO - none of the issues in the poll 'matter'. To me it's stability, good food, and avoidance of disease through whatever 'biosecurity' program you follow.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly bump;)

Idk but it feels to me like majority of folks experiencing fish loss and disease have tanks full of dead rock predominantly.

Back