Quick QT tank setup

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now im sure it's been discussed before or on another thread but I'm in need for assistance in setting up a QT quickly in case of an emergency.

Now the wife will kill me for setting up another tank as this was never part of the deal.

All fish went through a standard QT process before fish are sold to customers over here and are very reliable in this process. Touch wood never had issues with my fish so far.

However....

I currently have a Aquaone eco style 47
https://aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-0...-00-17/aquariums/ecostyle-2/item/2973-52103bk

This tank comes with a inline filter and filter media.
2x Carbon cartridge (would need to remove carbon)
2 x Filter sponge pads

Have no additional media in my display tank sump, only some extra live pieces of rock and a modified plastic crate to lift up my skimmer.

Now if I need to setup a hospital/QT within a day or so what would I need to make this happen?

I do have some small Aqua One BioNood Ceramic that I had from my previous freshwater aquarium. Should I place these in my Main tank to start some bacteria cycle on them? And if so how long till They could be used?

Sorry if all this has been answered in the past just after my own take on this

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on thinking ahead! I keep a large sponge filter and several bags of ceramic biospheres (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ceramic-bio-sphere-seaside-aquatics.html) in my sump for just this purpose (and to just add more biofilter capacity to my DT). I like having the sponge filter (run by an air pump) in my QT (which has an HOB filter) both because of the instant huge bacterial colony but also because of the great oxygenation. Several treatments can really run down oxygenation quickly. Also, I always keep a bottle of bio-spira, etc. in the fridge as an extra boost for when I set up my QT

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw the sponge media in the sump of your display tank. Once it's been in there for a month or so it should be seeded in case you need it.
If i need to set it up lets say in a weeks time

What can I do? The sponge media/ noodles would not have seeded enough to use. Would I still use these and additional bacteria to seed the tank?
Kudos on thinking ahead! I keep a large sponge filter and several bags of ceramic biospheres (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ceramic-bio-sphere-seaside-aquatics.html) in my sump for just this purpose (and to just add more biofilter capacity to my DT). I like having the sponge filter (run by an air pump) in my QT (which has an HOB filter) both because of the instant huge bacterial colony but also because of the great oxygenation. Several treatments can really run down oxygenation quickly. Also, I always keep a bottle of bio-spira, etc. in the fridge as an extra boost for when I set up my QT
Yes thinking ahead just incase and hope I never have to use it.. just want to make sure what I currently have will work and or what else would I need.

Forgot to add I do have a heater as well for this tank and some PVC pipe ect and some old ornaments from previous freshwater setup.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i need to set it up lets say in a weeks time

What can I do? The sponge media/ noodles would not have seeded enough to use. Would I still use these and additional bacteria to seed the tank?

Yes thinking ahead just incase and hope I never have to use it.. just want to make sure what I currently have will work and or what else would I need.

Forgot to add I do have a heater as well for this tank and some PVC pipe ect and some old ornaments from previous freshwater setup.
All that's great. While a month would be great, you don't need to have the sponge filter in there for that long to colonize it enough. Frankly, you can start with a dry sponge filter and new saltwater in a QT, throw in a bottle of whatever appropriate bacteria blend, and you'll be good enough. I'd only do that in a pinch though or if one doesn't have a sump they can keep extra filtration media in. It's nice that you have that little tank already on hand. That looks like a fine setup. Only thing I'd add to that (and your display tank if you don't have one) would be a grounding probe like this:

Back