Quick question on ammonia

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m 5 days into my cycle & I hadn’t checked my parameters any until last night which read
.25 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
When I read them I was convinced that the readings were wrong being that my test kit is about 3 years old, so today I went out & got a new test kit & i got the exact same parameters.. so I’m confused.
I’m cycling with about 70% live rock & the other 30 % “dead” live rock, shouldn’t I see a higher reading than .25 on day 5? Also, where are my nitrites if I have nitrates? Im confused lol..

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt that! But I’m optimistic I suppose. I have no source of ammonia just die off from the rock, the lady at my LFS said the rock came from one of their display tanks in their old store (they just moved to a new store 2 weeks ago) do u think I need to dose ammonia? That’s what I’ve always done with my fresh water tanks , or add a shrimp? Or would the LR be enough?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt that! But I’m optimistic I suppose. I have no source of ammonia just die off from the rock, the lady at my LFS said the rock came from one of their display tanks in their old store (they just moved to a new store 2 weeks ago) do u think I need to dose ammonia? That’s what I’ve always done with my fresh water tanks , or add a shrimp? Or would the LR be enough?
It's live rock it's cycling. Or it wouldn't be live.

You just have more ammoina than the system will handle.
Ie biofiler powering up.

Congrats on the new tank

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Kinda surprised you're seeing any ammoina really. Not unusual but...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he has ammonia but has to continue to introduce it in order for the bacteria to survive or they will just starve correct me if I’m wrong tho.
No, your right on track. What most folks don't think about it. So it gets lost in common perception is.
All rotting organics produce ammoina at all times. so do fish . At all times.
So ammoina is constantly being produced in our tanks. It's just at low levels.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright just trying to make sure I understand the live rock out into an uncycled tank dies off creating ammonia therefore feeds the beneficial bacteria colony?
Yes. Depending on how long the rock was out of the water the more the die off.

But if you take a good live rock from your tank and put it into say a five gal tank with fresh mixed salt water.
There are organisms already eating and creating waste and also dying of old age. Ther rot make ammoina. The tank water pics uonthe bacteria etc, it's cycling. Pretty much instantly. This method is called a skip cycle.

Yea, your not crazy. This means you can set uo a nano tank right now almost instantly.
It also means you can set up a hospital tank instantly.

I prefer to use tank water going that fast , but a 50/50 is a really good idea.

Fish don't really like fresh mixed salt water. Besides no cylcle , there's little oxygen.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m surprised at the situation as well, you would think I would’ve had substantial die off being that the lfs is over a hr away & the rock was stored in a a 20gallon tub (I think) with a gallon or 2 of salt water no where near submerged, but it had a lid to keep moisture in ... they couldn’t find any newspaper at my lfs so... that’s the route i went.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flow in a tank will create die off.

Not that it's a prob. Or a mis step.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i figured id bring this thread back to life! lol.

So as ive been checking my parameters since i started the cycle around every 2-3 days & the're always the same!
Ammonia .25-.5 (never went any higher)
Nitrite never been any higher than 0
Nitrate has been between 0-5

Soooooo I'm in no means in any rush but i just expect to see some sort of change.
& i wonder if my cycle has stalled or,,,,,,? idk??

i don't have it in front of me but i think im around 21 -23 days into my cycle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back