Quick question on ammonia

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Teke Left, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

Ok so I’m 5 days into my cycle & I hadn’t checked my parameters any until last night which read
    .25 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    5 nitrate
    When I read them I was convinced that the readings were wrong being that my test kit is about 3 years old, so today I went out & got a new test kit & i got the exact same parameters.. so I’m confused.
    I’m cycling with about 70% live rock & the other 30 % “dead” live rock, shouldn’t I see a higher reading than .25 on day 5? Also, where are my nitrites if I have nitrates? Im confused lol..

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
    Tags:

2. EriksOasis

EriksOasis Well-Known Member

Your tank could have been cycled already from the live rock. What is your ammonia source?

3. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

I seriously doubt that! But I’m optimistic I suppose. I have no source of ammonia just die off from the rock, the lady at my LFS said the rock came from one of their display tanks in their old store (they just moved to a new store 2 weeks ago) do u think I need to dose ammonia? That’s what I’ve always done with my fresh water tanks , or add a shrimp? Or would the LR be enough?

4. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad

It's live rock it's cycling. Or it wouldn't be live.

You just have more ammoina than the system will handle.
    Ie biofiler powering up.

Congrats on the new tank

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad

btw.
    I'd look at pictures of coral instead.

CindyKz and crabs_mcjones like this.
  6. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

Thanks! I just assumed it would be pretty high on day 5... but I suppose I’ll continue to look at coral while I patiently wait lol

7. EriksOasis

I would still have an ammonia source to help the beneficial batcteria populate.

8. saltyfilmfolks

He does have ammonia.

crabs_mcjones and Teke Left like this.
  9. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

So once my ammonia reaches 0 should I be good to go?’

10. saltyfilmfolks

Yep.
    I'd still go slow just cuz.

You're not using prime by chance ?
    It messes with the test.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  11. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

Yea I plan on going slow .. but no no prime

12. saltyfilmfolks

Interesting. Kinda surprised you're seeing any ammoina really. Not unusual but...

13. EriksOasis

I know he has ammonia but has to continue to introduce it in order for the bacteria to survive or they will just starve correct me if I’m wrong tho.

Teke Left and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  14. saltyfilmfolks

No, your right on track. What most folks don't think about it. So it gets lost in common perception is.
    All rotting organics produce ammoina at all times. so do fish . At all times.
    So ammoina is constantly being produced in our tanks. It's just at low levels.

15. EriksOasis

Alright just trying to make sure I understand the live rock out into an uncycled tank dies off creating ammonia therefore feeds the beneficial bacteria colony?

Teke Left and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  16. saltyfilmfolks

Yes. Depending on how long the rock was out of the water the more the die off.

But if you take a good live rock from your tank and put it into say a five gal tank with fresh mixed salt water.
    There are organisms already eating and creating waste and also dying of old age. Ther rot make ammoina. The tank water pics uonthe bacteria etc, it's cycling. Pretty much instantly. This method is called a skip cycle.

Yea, your not crazy. This means you can set uo a nano tank right now almost instantly.
    It also means you can set up a hospital tank instantly.

I prefer to use tank water going that fast , but a 50/50 is a really good idea.

Fish don't really like fresh mixed salt water. Besides no cylcle , there's little oxygen.

Teke Left and EriksOasis like this.
  17. Teke Left

Teke Left Active Member

Yea I’m surprised at the situation as well, you would think I would’ve had substantial die off being that the lfs is over a hr away & the rock was stored in a a 20gallon tub (I think) with a gallon or 2 of salt water no where near submerged, but it had a lid to keep moisture in ... they couldn’t find any newspaper at my lfs so... that’s the route i went.

18. EriksOasis

Yeah strange things happen in the hobby sometimes I’ve noticed. But you’re on your way to a cycled tank.

saltyfilmfolks and Don Lidtke like this.
  19. saltyfilmfolks

No flow in a tank will create die off.

Not that it's a prob. Or a mis step.

Draft saved Draft deleted