Quick review of the Coralvue HYDROS WaveEngine

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it is important to update firmware...
How do you know when to update firmware? I thought the application would update itself and the firmware version. If I didn't see this post I would still be running old firmware. Is there an automatic update?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as Tunze goes, I don't really get to get rid of anything, and I need additional adapter cables for the DIN ports on the Streams?

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when to update firmware? I thought the application would update itself and the firmware version. If I didn't see this post I would still be running old firmware. Is there an automatic update?
I have found the updates when i get into the app. Most times i am update or two behind. It will ask you to update once you have opened the app but it does not do it automatically.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Here is my longer review.. Wasnt sure if I should put this on page 5 or start a new thread.. So here goes the page 5 attempt haha.

So I bought one, here is my experience 3 days in.

About me... I have been playing with marine aquariums for about 4-5 years straight but a large break in doing anything fish related when I stopped freshwater tanks. Recently I rebuilt my mixed reef tank (check out my build thread.) Before marine tanks the wife and I had freshwater tanks of all sorts for 6+ years. From an automation standpoint everything that runs my tank is timer based minus the Gyre controllers or Vectra pumps and ATO. My primary pumps for my main tank are XF250 Gyres they do a pretty good job but the random mode was weak and I was left with a desire to set a higher minimum limit and lower max to tune them which just was not possible. This led me to buying a HydrosWave Engine.

Pros
Build complex pattern automated schedules for your pumps

The scheduler has turned out to be fantastic, the ability to setup a basic pattern that can have repeating patterns dropped on top of it to perform specific tasks it great. One of the first ones I created was a 5 minute Nutrient Export every 6 hours that replaced the basic Random pattern I was using. The first time running it was pretty impressive to see the amount of detritus kicked up that my normal high strength random was not knocking up.

Individually tuneable pump strength
This wasn’t something I thought I needed as a feature but turned out to be immediately useful on day 1. While my initial goals were to just have a higher bottom end and lower upper for my random flow pattern while cleaning I found that one of my xf250s had for some reason lost some of its strength (its probably getting ready to die and needs a replacement.) Because each pump on the WaveEngine has a master control outside of the preset I was able to specifically tune this weak pump for my needs. The random mode was much stronger than my old gyre controller which started beating the LPS on one side of my tank, the SPS side loved it. The LPS also happen to be on the weak up side, I was able to setup the min random to 30% making up for some of the loss of power and also cap it out at 85% which I found my LPS seemed ok with 85% but not higher, on the other side of the tank I just left the pumps alone and let it do its thing of 20-95%

Modes
Modes are ways you can set a specific pattern to run, or lack there of. A Waterchange mode to turn everything off is great, being able to use a single button on my phone to turn off the majority of my pumps. As Prior mentioned I created a cleaning mode out of Nutrient Export which I also in addition to having it run every 6 hours created a mode so after feeding if I wish I can run a 5 minute (duration is changeable) clean that then reverts back to the normal random patterns after the timeout expires. I imagine many folks will also create a Feeding mode to cut their pump strength way down. Because there was so many options on the WaveEngine I also made a test mode and pattern, trigger so its simple to edit a single preset pattern and test it out with a button click.

Multiple Notifications - Email, SMS
Getting Email alerts and SMS notifications that pumps are off or not operating brings peace of mind to any situation. Not sure if it notifies if its lost connectivity with the cloud or not but seems logical it would.

Looks slick, I want people to see this thing when they see my tank
I honestly love the look of this unit compared to any other controller I have ever seen. It's the hot rod of controllers with all its LEDs and awesome looking connectors. The LEDs can just run around or change to a speedo representing the overall speed of the pumps. I have no idea how to read the LEDs for the speedo, maybe we can get some tips on that ;).

Cons
Cant actually make your own “flow pattern”

One of the things I wanted to attempt with the WaveEngine was creating the Tumbling Zone that BRS talks about on their test tank, they did this using a programming language with the Apex. In effect over 24 hours the constant on the pumps ramps up or down and remains constant so that a specific area of the tank is in turbulent tumbling flow while other locations are experiencing heavy currents or a low gentle current. My hope was I would just be able to take a single triangle wave and put the other pump on the reverse of it this way when one pump is at 100 the other is 0, or if one is 60 the other is 40, etc. Turned out the triangle wave has multiple triangles in it so setting it for a period of 24 hours doesnt quite give the duration in each zone I wanted. Calculating this by hand for each area to get about 15 minutes means if I was to try to build this using constant flow I would need 96 triggers or so for each pump (hopfuly just 1 pump group otherwise 96*2) this is just way to tedious on a phone to do and looks like a possible advantage in the Apex..

No programming language
Honestly I may be the edge case here was I was a software engineer for years before moving into management. I would love FULL fine grained control of things like pump speed etc.

No pulsing flow?
Unless I am mistaken there is no generic pulsing option. Perhaps Ocean Swell, Sine or Square wave is meet to do this but neither give me any option on pulse duration. Only Nutrient Export provides a pulse duration. To me this makes me think I am back to trying to do a lot of Constant flow triggers to get some pulsing of specific length.

Mesh WiFi SID seems to have issues
I have a mesh wifi network and while anecdotal it seems like I have a lot of connectivity issues with my unit and phone app. Honestly this one is speculation but I have seen other devices not enjoy that I have multiple SIDs with the same name. (See connectivity in What to Improve)

App Connectivity
Gosh so many failed to uploads and waiting on status, etc screens it can get frustrating if you're trying to set it, go another household chore and come back to edit it based on results. I have found that in most cases if I toggle between bluetooth and cloud it will start getting status and updates again. I expect to lose about 30 seconds every time I open it to connectivity issues with status, etc. In most of these cases I know my phone has left the SID that the WaveEngine is on for other access points on the same network. But sometimes even just sitting in front of the tank with the WaveEngine feet from me I am unable to make changes for a minute…

No stop button on the unit itself for emergencies, just pull the plug.
How does my wife stop this or enter feeding mode without me? An emergency stop would have been great or a programmable button. While typically I am the one to take care of my tank sometimes others have had to step in if something crazy was going on.

Ecotech No Vectra or Mobius
Works with your old Vortecs kinda. I have some but not on this tank so I did not attempt to integrate them. It seems they may not work with Mobious. Sadly this makes this a feature I bought and want but cant use. It would have been great if this could have controlled my return pump as well. Then water changes would really have been a single button in 1 app. While I have not attempted to add my Vectra M2 the list of compatible pumps is only Vortec. Apparently there is no Mobius compatibility which means if you're using a Vectra you're gonna be using 2 apps.

No Export or sharing of presets and triggers
No way to backup or explore and share your designs with others. Other systems like ecotech let you export your schedules so you can load them into other ecotech tanks. I have done this with multiple tanks saving me alot of time from rebuilding the same thing and providing me peace of mind that all are exactly the same.

What I would improve
Web browser based option

Phone App is great but why no web app?

Flow Editor
Make a flow yourself with an editor? Or control the voltage in some type of timeline editor. For example a Single triangle wave not multiple ones that can then be programmed. How about seeing the whole day's schedule layed out for 24 hours with basic and repeating flows stacked on top of each other for pumpgrounds. It can be easy to miss the timers or forget that perhaps you have your run count higher than expected.

End
I would recommend this to anyone looking for extra control over their pumps. All equipment in this review was purchased with my own money and no one is giving me anything to create or post this review. This review was created to try and help other reefers and in hopes of providing feedback to the manufacturer to improve the product. @Jeff@CoralVue

Last edited:

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for 6 pump setup recommendations on WE? Tank is Sps only and looking for the best flow patterns. The current pump placements;
Right panel: XF280 top right, mp40 top left
Left panel: XF280 top left, mp40 top right
Back panel: XF330 bottom right, XF330 bottom left
Trying to configure the best flow pattern and should I group them all on 1 group or into 3 different groups? Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

reefguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used to control jebao dcs1200 return pump without the controller that comes with it? Is there a way to hook it up to the pump ports on the hydros not the 0-10v one?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can this be used to control jebao dcs1200 return pump without the controller that comes with it? Is there a way to hook it up to the pump ports on the hydros not the 0-10v one?

The Wave Engine is used to control larger pumps direct drive. The Control can do smaller pumps or pumps with 0-10v control.

Jebao is not supported by the Wave Engine but some people have got some models to work by making their own cables. Just remember since they are not supported both Coralvue and Jabao would most likely not warranty it or support it once you do.

reefguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wave Engine is used to control larger pumps direct drive. The Control can do smaller pumps or pumps with 0-10v control.

Jebao is not supported by the Wave Engine but some people have got some models to work by making their own cables. Just remember since they are not supported both Coralvue and Jabao would most likely not warranty it or support it once you do.
Do you happen to know of a pump that would be supported by coralvue that’s similar gph and size? The only ones I know of are mightyjet and jebao and some Chinese off brands. It seems there is a very large lack of options when it comes to aio and nano tanks. It seems they are missing a huge market.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really is not up to Coralvue it is up to the pump manufacturer.. Best thing to do is go to the pump manufacture and request they work with Coralvue to make it work with the Hydros.

Here is the thing as long as they are the right voltage all that needs to be done in most cases is a cable be made and allot of pumps would work with the Wave Engine and that is it. . The problem arises if their is a problem with the pump for some reason. You call the pump manufacture and they found out you used someone else controller that is not supported by them they blame you even if it has nothing to do with the controller. Voids warranty.

Last edited:

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really is not up to Coralvue it is up to the pump manufacturer.. Best thing to do is go to the pump manufacture and request they work with Coralvue to make it work with the Hydros.

Here is the thing as long as they are the right voltage all that needs to be done in most cases is a cable be made and allot of pumps would work with the Wave Engine and that is it. . The problem arises if their is a problem with the pump for some reason. You call the pump manufacture and they found out you used someone else controller that is not supported by them they blame you even if it has nothing to do with the controller. Voids warranty.

So I gather that the jebao pumps use a +24v power line, +0-5v control line, and a neutral line.
I also gather that the wave engine can provide a +24v power line to a pump, and on the third pin, a control signal of some kind. Is that control signal on the third pin 0-10v?

I've also gathered that if I place two resistors of the same value in parallel on one end of the 0-10v line, and one connected to neutral, with the other to the 0-10v signal line, it will halve the voltage to play nice with the 0-5v range that jebao pumps expect.

In this way, I could use the wave engine to provide both the 24v power, and 0-5v signal to the jebao pump, and directly drive them. Does this all sound right? Has anybody done that? I'd love to get something like the waveengine but don't want to spend a fortune buying all new pumps. I'm perfectly happy to do a bit of a soldering though... I'd be even happier to buy something ready made, though. Even more so if the cable were a bit longer. Hate how often you're given a 4-6 foot cord... but I digress.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I gather that the jebao pumps use a +24v power line, +0-5v control line, and a neutral line.
I also gather that the wave engine can provide a +24v power line to a pump, and on the third pin, a control signal of some kind. Is that control signal on the third pin 0-10v?

I've also gathered that if I place two resistors of the same value in parallel on one end of the 0-10v line, and one connected to neutral, with the other to the 0-10v signal line, it will halve the voltage to play nice with the 0-5v range that jebao pumps expect.

In this way, I could use the wave engine to provide both the 24v power, and 0-5v signal to the jebao pump, and directly drive them. Does this all sound right? Has anybody done that? I'd love to get something like the waveengine but don't want to spend a fortune buying all new pumps. I'm perfectly happy to do a bit of a soldering though... I'd be even happier to buy something ready made, though. Even more so if the cable were a bit longer. Hate how often you're given a 4-6 foot cord... but I digress.

Not sure Coralvue released that info. I know they have for the Control but not the Wave Engine.

For DC motors I do not think that is right though. I believe DC motors have no control they are controlled by varying the voltage. I believe there is no actual control line to the pump. I am no expert on this.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks. So basically best options would be gyres and octos inorder to get rid of their respective power and controller. Tunze doesnt let you ditch those. Vortech ofcourse demands a different WE model .

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it. Thanks. So basically best options would be gyres and octos inorder to get rid of their respective power and controller. Tunze doesnt let you ditch those. Vortech ofcourse demands a different WE model .

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . i went thru that chart. If my understanding of the 0-10V is correct, then even if the quad cable connects 4 pumps thru one , we would still need each of the power brick n controller of those 4 pumps. Am i correct?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks . i went thru that chart. If my understanding of the 0-10V is correct, then even if the quad cable connects 4 pumps thru one , we would still need each of the power brick n controller of those 4 pumps. Am i correct?
0-10v would require power supply. It is control only.

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your interest, @Demmelition4! Thanks for tagging me, @Peace River!

With the help of one of our beta testers @120reefkeeper, I made a 1:30 second video that should help you get going.

Assuming you're not going to want to control EcoTech pumps at some point later, you'll want the standard WaveEngine:

item # is HDRS-WE

Next, you'll need one adapter cable for each of your 150/250 Gyre pumps:

HDRS-WE-230PA

You will need a 0-10V HYDROS cable:

For the Jebao pumps, you're going to need:

+ a power supply (as seen in the video I've not yet posted)

HOW TO CONNECT JEBAO PUMPS TO HYDROS WAVEENGINE
  1. Follow the instructions in the video I'll get posted here eventually
  2. Then follow the instructions in in this video: https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-waveengine-0-10v-quad-cable
If you have any trouble after taking these steps, just shoot our support staff an email at [email protected] and they'll walk you through the steps.

Will this work with Jebao SLW wavemakers?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back