Quick review of the Coralvue HYDROS WaveEngine

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say I was excited when I heard about the Coralvue HYDROS WaveEngine and even more excited when I was asked if I wanted to beta test one. My system has 7 aquariums and two sumps. Each tank has one or more circulation pumps so I have a lot of cords and pump controllers. It is a mess and I have done very little cord management because I am not sure what to do with them all. On my WaveEngine right now I am running one IceCap 3k, two XF-250 Maxspect Gyres, and a VarioS-2 directly. So I eliminated 3 controllers and 3 power supplies and put them all on one.
I also set up a VarioS-4 on 0-10v control. I wanted to push it to the limit to see if this could handle it. So basically I am running 5 pumps off the WaveEngine.

Everything was really easy to set up and after my first pump, it only took a few minutes to set the next pump up. You set up a pump, you then set up a preset and a trigger. Preset is the type of flow you want. An example would be constant, random, SPS mode, etc and there are like 10 to choose from right now. A trigger is when you want it to run.

I was not using any controller on this tank so it is nice to be able to see my pumps on the cloud now and have control over them remotely. The APP tells you some pretty good information about the pumps too like what speed the pump is running at, power draw, shaft RPM, etc. (see pictures)

The only issue I have is now I want another for my other system and a second for this system

1568657215187.png

1568657232871.png

1568657252070.png

1568657269981.png

1568657280699.png

1568657305579.png

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say I was excited when I heard about the Coralvue HYDROS WaveEngine and even more excited when I was asked if I wanted to beta test one. My system has 7 aquariums and two sumps. Each tank has one or more circulation pumps so I have a lot of cords and pump controllers. It is a mess and I have done very little cord management because I am not sure what to do with them all. On my WaveEngine right now I am running one IceCap 3k, two XF-250 Maxspect Gyres, and a VarioS-2 directly. So I eliminated 3 controllers and 3 power supplies and put them all on one.
I also set up a VarioS-4 on 0-10v control. I wanted to push it to the limit to see if this could handle it. So basically I am running 5 pumps off the WaveEngine.

Everything was really easy to set up and after my first pump, it only took a few minutes to set the next pump up. You set up a pump, you then set up a preset and a trigger. Preset is the type of flow you want. An example would be constant, random, SPS mode, etc and there are like 10 to choose from right now. A trigger is when you want it to run.

I was not using any controller on this tank so it is nice to be able to see my pumps on the cloud now and have control over them remotely. The APP tells you some pretty good information about the pumps too like what speed the pump is running at, power draw, shaft RPM, etc. (see pictures)

The only issue I have is now I want another for my other system and a second for this system

Thanks for sharing! I was impressed with the Hydros at MACNA but it is nice to get the feedback from someone using it in their own tanks!

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s cool! What do the gyres do for sps mode and things like that? Just curious.

Honestly I do not know all the differences between all the modes. I thought I saw a thread where they mentioned it but I could not find it. Maybe it was in a video somewhere.

Might want to ask the question in this thread where they are talking about my controller:

I have played around with some of the different flow patterns and I really like random and sps mode.
I think some of the modes are the same as other controllers like the Gyre controllers etc. I want to get two more pumps and try 4 pumps in some of the modes with one each side and two on the back. You can pick in the App where the pump is located, front, back, left or right.

The WaveEngine really has me excited about the new Hydros Control 2 and Control 4 from Coralvue and too see how these integrate with it...

The control 2 looks really cool.. I have been saying someone needs a lower cost with basic functions controller and the market is there for the taking since DA left and so did Neptune.
For someone like me who has 4 separate systems right now I do not want all my systems on one controller. I mean if something fails it could take out all my systems. That can get pretty expensive buying controllers for each separate system at over 500 dollars a pop...

I was totally took by surprise by the Control 2 & 4. I had not idea they were working on this and saw a teaser photo of Facebook I was like what is this thing. One of the best kept secrets out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea still love it.. Hardware has been rock solid.
Not sure if we are in beta or not anymore, it has been really quiet which means they are probably getting close.

I do not have to much new to report other than it has been working great and I want two more.

I believe they are still working on a few software things. About all I hear is update the app.
Probably will be working on software/app forever as they add compatibility with other pumps and new pumps.
Nice thing is if there is a software issue the unit will stay on with last settings.

App is pretty easy to use to.

I have been running android.

The IceCap gyres are great with this thing and some one like me that has so many tanks they are a cheaper option.

I really like the fact I can see so much info about my pumps in the app and especially while I am at work.
Matter of fact I play with it more at work than at home.. LOL

Now I want to see how this integrates with the new Hydros controllers coming out..

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thanks for sharing, I was just looking for info and considering one myself for my new build.
Not sure if we are in beta or not anymore, it has been really quiet which means they are probably getting close.

I do not have to much new to report other than it has been working great and I want two more.

I believe they are still working on a few software things. About all I hear is update the app.
Probably will be working on software/app forever as they add compatibility with other pumps and new pumps.
Nice thing is if there is a software issue the unit will stay on with last settings.

The IceCap gyres are great with this thing and some one like me that has so many tanks they are a cheaper option.

I really like the fact I can see so much info about my pumps and especially while I am at work.

Now I want to see how this integrates with the new Hydros controllers coming out..

We're about 2 weeks away from launch... :D

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really like the fact I can see so much info about my pumps in the app and especially while I am at work.

Cool, I have an Icecap Gyre, and plan to get several MP40s and maybe a 350 Gyre for my new tank. It would be great to avoid some of the extra controllers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot recall, is this vortech compatible?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, helpful!

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cannot recall, is this vortech compatible?

It is through wireless..
You will still have to use the controller and power supply.
You can use it to sync with other pumps which can be nice.
I do not have the chip in my beta unit.
I was offered it but I only use my mp-40s as back up and are pretty old.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems pretty cool. I have an apex/WXM, but a friend of mine was asking about the wave engine and yours was the only review I easily found from somebody with credibility.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to have a sku without the RF chip, since ETM support probably adds $50 to the end user BOM.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back