Quick review of the Coralvue HYDROS WaveEngine

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let see if we can get some help with your question...

@Jeff@CoralVue @shred5

Thank you for your interest, @Demmelition4! Thanks for tagging me, @Peace River!

With the help of one of our beta testers @120reefkeeper, I made a 1:30 second video that should help you get going.

Assuming you're not going to want to control EcoTech pumps at some point later, you'll want the standard WaveEngine:

item # is HDRS-WE

Next, you'll need one adapter cable for each of your 150/250 Gyre pumps:

HDRS-WE-230PA

You will need a 0-10V HYDROS cable:

For the Jebao pumps, you're going to need:

+ a power supply (as seen in the video I've not yet posted)

HOW TO CONNECT JEBAO PUMPS TO HYDROS WAVEENGINE
  1. Follow the instructions in the video I'll get posted here eventually
  2. Then follow the instructions in in this video: https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-waveengine-0-10v-quad-cable
If you have any trouble after taking these steps, just shoot our support staff an email at [email protected] and they'll walk you through the steps.

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your interest, @Demmelition4! Thanks for tagging me, @Peace River!

With the help of one of our beta testers @120reefkeeper, I made a 1:30 second video that should help you get going. I'm having a little trouble with the video software, though. I'll try to get that resolved today. In the meantime:

Assuming you're not going to want to control EcoTech pumps at some point later, you'll want the standard WaveEngine:

item # is HDRS-WE

Next, you'll need one adapter cable for each of your 150/250 Gyre pumps:

HDRS-WE-230PA

For the Jebao pumps, you're going to need:

+ a power supply (as seen in the video I've not yet posted)

HOW TO CONNECT JEBAO PUMPS TO HYDROS WAVEENGINE
  1. Follow the instructions in the video I'll get posted here eventually
  2. Then follow the instructions in in this video: https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-waveengine-0-10v-quad-cable
If you have any trouble after taking these steps, just shoot our support staff an email at [email protected] and they'll walk you through the steps.

Wow thanks so much for this. I really appreciate it! I am going to get the waveengine this week so I am excited!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks so much for this. I really appreciate it! I am going to get the waveengine this week so I am excited!

My IT guy is gonna help me in the morning so I can save and post the video. I just don't have permission on my PC to do so. As the admin. he'll be able to get me sorted out.

Once again. Shout-out to @120reefkeeper who shot you this tutorial!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
who can help me?

I want to run one gyre forward, while the other is in reverse and then switch. I cannot figure it out.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who can help me?

I want to run one gyre forward, while the other is in reverse and then switch. I cannot figure it out.

I thought the community may chime in on this one., but I should have replied much sooner. If you haven't already done so, please email [email protected] so that we can assist you!

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new 140g tank right now and have purchased most of what I "need" however I've been eyeballing the Wave Engine. My two wave makers are the Octopulse 4's and on the chart provided on what different pumps need to connect to the WE it shows them as Direct Connect as well as 0-10v so can I connect them either way or will I need to use my original power supply and controller? I was hoping to be able to get rid of the PS and controller. Thanks for the help!
@Jeff@CoralVue

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new 140g tank right now and have purchased most of what I "need" however I've been eyeballing the Wave Engine. My two wave makers are the Octopulse 4's and on the chart provided on what different pumps need to connect to the WE it shows them as Direct Connect as well as 0-10v so can I connect them either way or will I need to use my original power supply and controller? I was hoping to be able to get rid of the PS and controller. Thanks for the help!
@Jeff@CoralVue

Direct Connect is the way to go for sure! That way, the WaveEngine not only controls the Octo Pulse pumps, it powers them, too! Now you can get rid of their two controllers and two power bricks. The WaveEngine is capable of powering two more pumps should you need more flow in the future.

For your Octo Pulse pumps, you'll need 2 x WaveEngine Direct Drive Pump Adapters (SKU is HDRS-WE-OCTPA).

Something we get asked a lot is "How many pumps can I control with a single WaveEngine?"

You can directly connect up to four (4) pumps using the Direct Drive ports. You can also connect up to four (4) pumps to the 0-10V port by using a single HYDROS Quad Cable. You can actually control an unlimited amount of VorTech “W” model pumps wirelessly. In short, you can connect up to 8 pumps with cords and as many pumps as you want wirelessly!

Last edited:

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive here but I'm still a little confused due to what I'm seeing on the chart posted for the Wave Engine on most vendor sites. It states;

0-10V Input Pumps:
Requires 0-10V adapter cable
Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2, 4
Reef Octopus VarioS 2, 4, 6, 8

But then the charts shows this as well;
Direct Connect Pumps
Requires pump adapter cable
Reef Octopus VarioS 2, 4

I have two Octo Pulse 4's and one VarioS 8. The chart I think is what's causing me to be a little confused. First off it shows the Octo Pulse 2 & 4 in both columns and secondly it shows you can only run the VarioS 2 & 4 direct connect, no 6 or 8, is that just a misprint?

So my question/s are;
1) Will the WE run my Octo Pulse 4's direct connect, ie; no power supply and control box needed?

2) Will the WE run my VarioS 8 direct connect with no PS and control box needed?

Sorry for being difficult Jeff, I'm just "a little" confused and trying to get this right. I've already got a box of several items I'm having to send back to exchange due to a little bit of confusion and would like to avoid any more mistakes on my part. lol. Thank you!

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive here but I'm still a little confused due to what I'm seeing on the chart posted for the Wave Engine on most vendor sites. It states;

0-10V Input Pumps:
Requires 0-10V adapter cable
Reef Octopus VarioS 2, 4, 6, 8

But then the charts shows this as well;
Direct Connect Pumps
Requires pump adapter cable
Reef Octopus VarioS 2, 4

I have two Octo Pulse 4's and one VarioS 8. The chart I think is what's causing me to be a little confused. First off it shows the Octo Pulse 2 & 4 in both columns and secondly it shows you can only run the VarioS 2 & 4 direct connect, no 6 or 8, is that just a misprint?

So my question/s are;
1) Will the WE run my Octo Pulse 4's direct connect, ie; no power supply and control box needed?

2) Will the WE run my VarioS 8 direct connect with no PS and control box needed?

Sorry for being difficult Jeff, I'm just "a little" confused and trying to get this right. I've already got a box of several items I'm having to send back to exchange due to a little bit of confusion and would like to avoid any more mistakes on my part. lol. Thank you!

You're not being difficult at all! The R2R community, by and large, is super polite, helpful, charitable... I wish R2R members were my neighbors!

So the Octo Pulse 2 & 4 and VarioS 2 & 4 can all be connected directly to the WaveEngine with the appropriate Direct Drive Adapter Cables. The WaveEngine can control, monitor, and power them. You can get rid of the power bricks and external controllers for those pumps.

In addition, they can all be monitored and controlled using the 0-10V port. If they are connected this way, you cannot get rid of the power brick and external controllers for each pump.

VarioS 6 & 8 pumps can only be monitored and controlled via 0-10V by the WaveEngine. They are not Direct Drive compatible and cannot be powered by the WaveEngjne.

There is a HYDROS 0-10V Quad Cable that allows you to connect up to 4 pumps. Pumps connected via 0-10V still have to have their external controllers and power bricks.

So, to recap: You can get rid of the power bricks and controllers for your Octo Pulse 4 pumps by directly connecting them to the WaveEngjne using the appropriate Direct Drive Cables.

You can't for the VarioS-8. But it can still be controlled by the WaveEngine using the HYDROS 0-10V Quad Cable.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it now, thank you Jeff, much appreciated! Off to go drop another $400! ha ha.

Awesome!

Please email us if you need help getting going.

There is a HYDROS playlist on our YouTube channel as well!

Nzac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here comes a potentially dumb question...

With this and a pair of gyres, can you ramp the gyres up and down or is it just on /off? This has been the downfall to me with gyre pumps, not being able to ramp them the way I can with other pumps

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here comes a potentially dumb question...

With this and a pair of gyres, can you ramp the gyres up and down or is it just on /off? This has been the downfall to me with gyre pumps, not being able to ramp them the way I can with other pumps

You mean what they are talking here as cycle duration:

By the way that site answers pretty much every question...

I actually thought you could also do it with the original Gyre controller but it has been a long time since I used one and it could have changed since i did. I switched to the IceCap interface module that allowed them to be controlled by Apex pretty quickly and then I used the Maxspect Connect and now the WaveEngine.

Nzac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly, my pumps work as left ramps up from 0 to 75% over an hour time, stays at 75% for an hour then ramps down for an hour to 0, stays at 0 for an hour then repeats. Right does the exact opposite. I couldn't get a ramp option with gyres so got rid of them but really liked the wide flow I can't get anywhere else.

F7FE1CCA-E3FE-4A2F-BDD2-F41DFB5C9BEA.jpeg

Back