quick way to get rid of dinos or cyano. How to ID it?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something going on in my tank and need help quick. I have new corals not doing so well and new ones on the way!

Ok so this is going to be a long post so here goes! I had this problem for a while but thought I got rid of it from dosing MB7 and Vibrant! I also starting stirring up sand bed daily and blowing off rocks and corals! Corals were dying but stopped and seemed to go away. It all starting after dosing nopox and phosphates bottomed out! I eventually got a phosphate reading and keep them around 0.003 to right now 0.011.

Like an idiot I ran out and got a bunch of new corals. Some of them dont look so hot, some seem fine but I have had a few die which is weird because my duncan who went through the first battle is dying and was doing fine through it before. I have 2 other duncans dying. Long story how I acquired so many duncans..lol.

I have more corals coming in next week and recently it got worse. For a while I was just coasting with my tank and only doing WC once a month and stopped feeding corals. I was doing this because I read not to change water if its dinos. Anyway since I got my new corals I started feeding reefroids 2 x a week and recently I started feeding brightwell aquatics restore which is an amino acid blend that says helps restore coral tissue and helps with coloration and all. I feed that 1 x a week and reedroids 1 x a week and was thinking of just switching to restore for feeding since I have suffering corals and not supposed to effect nitrates as much! I basically only use wc to keep nitrates down since I have a small 36 gallon tank with no room for refugium ect.. I do dose the mb7 which is suppose to help and use chemipure elite in filter sock.

Another thing going on is since I started topping off daily my salinty has been lowering! Seems there is no truth to the fact that salinty rises! Now I am checking salinty daily because 2 times I had to bring it back up! I dont know if this is whats effecting my corals or the dinos cyano or whatever it is because its strange how the duncans have been fine until this salinty problem happened even through the problem before and I lost a lot of other corals! I do need to get rid of this regardless of what effecting them because it didi kill about 1/3 of new corals before and I bought some real pricey ones! almost 2 k worth! I know I am nuts but got carried away on ebay bidding...lol I do have a small 20 gallon nuvo that has room and is doing fine. Ihad the same problem before but shut lights out for months since I had no coral in it yet! I also overdose the nopox at the same time on that tank and they po4 bottomed out as well! !

My question is since I have corals on the way how can I get rid of this gently and not effect the new frags I just recieved about a month ago? will attach a pic later but I spoke to someone from IM in tech support over the new uv light I got to help and he said it sounded like cyano and I said I have tried chemiclean so many times and it does nothing. He said it dosnt work for him either so dont just assume its dinos since that dosnt work! What does work?

I am scared to shut lights down because of the new frags!

There basically is a red matt everywhere, on glass rocks and sandbed. Its not weblike or snotty or stringy with bubbles attached. Just a mat of red. the rocks have gotten a lot better but glass seems to have gotten worse. The glass does have bubbles though and noticed today its looking weblike on the glass only. I dont know if its from water changes more often now(every 2 weeks) of the addition of recover, or salinity swings, more feedings!

I was hoping the uv would help but got worse. I also quit blowing the sand because I was told it would spread it but before it helped. I also preformed a paper towel test a while back for dinos and I passed. It didn't clump back like dinos would. Someone please help!

Also what do I do about wc? My nitrates are up to 20 now! I did overdose the nopox! I followed the directions but kept dosing because I couldn't get to go below 10 and all the while I should have just did a wc when it got to 10 because that usually cuts it in half, temporally anyway! Should i not do a wc until I figure this out and dose nopox? It does scare the hell out of me but I need to figure out a way to keep nitates down because it always hits 20 after 2 weeks of a wc! My rock is not porous at all so maybe I need to add more bioballs. Should I presoak them in mb7? how do I do that?

So sorry this is such a long post but wanted to give all the details!

Please help! Thanks to all that read this insanely long post!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae happens don't fight it, you will not win.

You need to set up a biome that will support the growth of "coral". Focus on that. The "coral" will out-compete the algae. If your "coral" is not winning you are doing something wrong. Figure it out and work to promote the "coral" and this will in turn minimize the algae. Ignore the algae it's not the problem. Don't get lost in nitrate and phosphate they are not the problem.

This is the only proven successful way to "get rid of" algae. This does not come quickly nor does it happen without constant long term husbandry on your part. The chemicals are drugs and they will not work long term and create problems and hurdles for the future of your aquarium. Just remember the easy way is the hard way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back