Quicker way to fill the tank?

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have my 100G tank.
now if I put my ro unit in to fill it will take days due to the water pressure is very slow here.
Is there another way I can fill it quicker?
I was thinking off filling up with normal tap water and using prime but can’t find anything on that subject.
What do you think?

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now if I put my ro unit in to fill it will take days due to the water pressure is very slow here.
I was thinking off filling up with normal tap water and using prime but can’t find anything on that subject.
What do you think?
Fish only or reef? Not a good idea for reef. Can do for fish only with prime.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait the days until your RO/DI fills it up, or else you most likely will battle high nutrients, metals, and silicates in your tank from the tap (it might take months to get all that nasties out and your tank will not look pretty).

If you really want to be ahead of the game, get a booster pump for your RO/DI.

Disclaimer: some places have really clean tap water. If you are one of those exceptions, carry on.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think?
Two thoughts.

Start with RO water. Spend days filling. No hurry right? To relieve the pain of waiting, dump in nitrifying bacteria and ammonia at the start of the fill with saltwater made with RO and let the aquarium cycle during the fill. By the time the aquarium is filled, it will be cycled.

If your tap water is free of metal contamination, nitrate, phosphate, yes, dechlorinate and go. Most people don’t know what is in their tap water.

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think?
do not, i repeat do not do that.

booster pump can make your rodi pump faster, buy alot from your LFS, i know one of mine does free delivery with 50+ gal, or be patient.

if i can give only one piece of advice, one motto to do this WHOLE hobby in, that practically anyone in the hobby or industry can attest and agree to is:

NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait the days until your RO/DI fills it up, or else you most likely will battle high nutrients, metals, and silicates in your tank from the tap (it might take months to get all that nasties out and your tank will not look pretty).

If you really want to be ahead of the game, get a booster pump for your RO/DI.

Disclaimer: some places have really clean tap water. If you are one of those exceptions, carry on.
Booster pump definitely the way to go. I used to have city water pressure. When I bought a house with well water the time it took to make water was insane. If you have low pressure With a tank that size a booster pump will make life easier.

OP
OP
R

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone I will just wait for it to fill and then transfer all my live rock etc to the new tank

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back