Quiet Nano Skimmers...Any Suggestions???

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Reefers, I am in the first week of cycling my IM 20gal...purchased the IM DC Skimmer...from a big online vendor...but I am not sure if that loud humming sound from the "air silencer" which can't be controlled is normal? This is going to be in the room that I sleep in... Downgrading from a 120g to 20g...Need help in getting a better quieter Nano Skimmer that can fit in the chamber of the IM 20gal...any suggestions?

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, but opted for the Eshopps nano skimmer. I think it is very quiet, but everyone has their own opinions. Just took a couple days for the micro bubbles to go away after break-in.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, but opted for the Eshopps nano skimmer. I think it is very quiet, but everyone has their own opinions. Just took a couple days for the micro bubbles to go away after break-in.
How often do you empty the cup and is it easy to tune in?

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple, I have mine set for a less aggressive skim right now, so I empty in once a week. There is a little play in the height as well as the pump has an adjustment option as well. I waited until the macro bubbles cleared then I adjusted it.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Reefers, I am in the first week of cycling my IM 20gal...purchased the IM DC Skimmer...from a big online vendor...but I am not sure if that loud humming sound from the "air silencer" which can't be controlled is normal? This is going to be in the room that I sleep in... Downgrading from a 120g to 20g...Need help in getting a better quieter Nano Skimmer that can fit in the chamber of the IM 20gal...any suggestions?

I had the exact same problem with my IM Skimmer. Rather than silencing, it almost seemed like the sound resonated in the silencer! I toyed with the idea of trying a different silencer but never got around to it.

Curiously I had to replace the pump recently and the new pump seems to be quite a bit quieter than the old one and I don't have that THE SKIMMER IS NOW ON thing quite so much. Not really a practical solution, though, since there really is no way to control the luck of getting a magically quieter pump.

I did hook it up to a CO2 scrubber for a while which actually helped with the noise a bit, just didn't help my pH as much as I wanted and I think it hurt the performance of the skimmer.

When I had a Tunze 9004 on my old tank the pump was dead silent, the only sound was that of the bubbles. Too bad it doesn't fit the skimmer chamber in my tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back