quiet pump suggestions or else my wife will evict me

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took over our storage area in the basement and turned it into my tank room. Currently have a two rack system with (3) 20 highs and (2) 40 breeders , with an Eshopps sump 200 on the bottom. Kinda all without my wife signing off on the permission slip. So the pump I currently own is driving my wife mad because she can literally hear it while she is working. The tank room is literally below her home office. So yeah, looking for some suggestions on pumps you guys have actually heard ( hopefully you didn’t ) in action. I’m upgrading my sump to 75 gallon tank instead an can possibly plumb it for an external pump if needed. Don’t need all the frills of the dc pumps in terms of controllability. So yes I hope you guys can help me stave off my impending eviction notice with your suggestions.
Ps- tank room still under construction

1AD63786-2F3D-4281-85E5-8D7F6492F105.jpeg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find internal pumps to be quieter than external. I have had good luck with the Reef Octopus Varios pumps. I have one in a tank next to my desk and I can't hear it and another one directly below my home office which pumps from the basement to the main floor, and again can't hear it. I would go 1 larger than you "need" and run it at a lower speed. The one I run in the basement is at 100% and you can hear the difference as you increase the speed, but it is still very quiet.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap jebao DC internal pump on mine and my undersized HOB skimmer is louder then it is. Can’t hardly hear it unless you’re trying to

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you running currently. Other than perhaps a mag drive, most submersibles are pretty quiet. Perhaps your issue is transmitted vibration rather than inherent pump noise. I’d suggest putting the pump on some kind of pad (I usually just use a poly filter pad). If that isn’t the issue, I can personally vouch for the fluval seas pumps or a Vectra. Latter is silent but $$.

Of course you could just buy an abyzz .... but then your wife will throw you out for a whole different reason LOL

Last edited:

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel your pain. I eventually went with a Royal Exclusiv because noise was a huge issue. They are very expensive but absolutely quiet. You have to put you hand in it to know it’s running. Still, worth every penny as it eliminated the problem of noise and it is very dependable.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took over our storage area in the basement and turned it into my tank room. Currently have a two rack system with (3) 20 highs and (2) 40 breeders , with an Eshopps sump 200 on the bottom. Kinda all without my wife signing off on the permission slip. So the pump I currently own is driving my wife mad because she can literally hear it while she is working. The tank room is literally below her home office. So yeah, looking for some suggestions on pumps you guys have actually heard ( hopefully you didn’t ) in action. I’m upgrading my sump to 75 gallon tank instead an can possibly plumb it for an external pump if needed. Don’t need all the frills of the dc pumps in terms of controllability. So yes I hope you guys can help me stave off my impending eviction notice with your suggestions.
Ps- tank room still under construction

1AD63786-2F3D-4281-85E5-8D7F6492F105.jpeg
I have a Sicce pump for mixing saltwater. I can barely hear it.

Attachments

• 8CA44D05-B286-4987-A22E-7D4645266B45.jpeg
    8CA44D05-B286-4987-A22E-7D4645266B45.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 38

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If vibration is the issue then you may want to try a silicon mat and a short section of silicon hose between the pump and the hard plumbing. If it is the pump itself then you may want to consider a DC pump that is not run at full speed. Pump noise is not an issue for me in most of my systems, but my Varios pump is quiet.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to run external Reeflo pumps and no matter what there was always a constant hummmmmmm. My Varios4 is in my office right behind my desk and it's dead silent

OP
OP
D

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If vibration is the issue then you may want to try a silicon mat and a short section of silicon hose between the pump and the hard plumbing. If it is the pump itself then you may want to consider a DC pump that is not run at full speed. Pump noise is not an issue for me in most of my systems, but my Varios pump is quiet.
Reading that was like an “ah ha “ moment. I just went on brs to get some tubing and see if it helps. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz whats the matter with all you people? Ool lol
Really the sicces are pretty quiet.

If u need to get the larger than needed dc controlled one and run it a cpl speeds down. I can gaurantee that will be quiet internally or external prob even.
D

OP
OP
D

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz whats the matter with all you people? Ool lol
Really the sicces are pretty quiet.

If u need to get the larger than needed dc controlled one and run it a cpl speeds down. I can gaurantee that will be quiet internally or external prob even.
D
What is cpl speed down mean ?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find internal pumps to be quieter than external. I have had good luck with the Reef Octopus Varios pumps. I have one in a tank next to my desk and I can't hear it and another one directly below my home office which pumps from the basement to the main floor, and again can't hear it.

If your Varios that pumps from the basement is still under warranty and you have an issue with it. DO NOT tell Coralvue that it pumps from the basement. This setup immediately voids the warranty because it is considered a pressure application and the pumps aren't designed for that.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least he'll live.... lol, my wife has daggers out if i even mention fish...can't imagine if they made noise...
Have you tried getting her into coral? Mine lets me spend whatever on fish, but I still got her into the hobby so we would have something else to share. Side effect, There are no complaints about the fish budget lol.

Also on the original subject, Double up on the silicone mat and youd be amazed at the noise reduction. Also check and see if the pump is sitting on a single edge or corner as this can cause alot of extra noise if its not mounted flat, as well as if its backed up against a wall.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back