quiet pump suggestions or else my wife will evict me

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the reef Octo pumps. I though my old sicce was silent until I got the reef octo.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a internal submersible jeabo dc pump ( 15000 )
It’s quiet .
the loud part is the gurgling from the over flow .

If overflow is the issue, how is the lines run currently? Most overflow noise can be minimized depending on the layout. One of our 125s is right next to us in the living room and aside from a very light trickle you would never know its there if you were blindfolded.

Couple Questions come to mind

1) Is it all hard pvc tubing?
2) Is it a straight shot from overflow to sump? (no bends, etc)
3) One the overflow, is it direct into the box then direct to the hole? Many tanks it overflows but then fills to a certain level first which will cut down on noise.

Edit: Editing for spelling, thank my buddy Michter's :cool:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If overflow is the issue, how is the lines run currently? Most overflow noise can be minimized depending on the layout. One of our 125s is right next to us in the living room and aside from a very light trickle you would never know its there if you were blindfolded.

Couple Questions come to mind

1) Is it all hard pvc tubing?
2) Is it a straight shot from overflow to sump? (no bends, etc)
3) One the overflow, is it direct into the box then direct to the hole? Many tanks it overflows but then fills to a certain level first which will cut down on noise.

Edit: Editing for spelling, thank my buddy Michter's :cool:
It’s a bulk head fitting through the glass .
straight into a T and down to the sump .
That overflow is right beside my as we watch movies .
I don’t mind but my wife says it’s loud .
image.jpg

OP
OP
D

davidstenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried getting her into coral? Mine lets me spend whatever on fish, but I still got her into the hobby so we would have something else to share. Side effect, There are no complaints about the fish budget lol.

Also on the original subject, Double up on the silicone mat and youd be amazed at the noise reduction. Also check and see if the pump is sitting on a single edge or corner as this can cause alot of extra noise if its not mounted flat, as well as if its backed up against a wall.
Great suggestions. Thank you

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new sicce sdc are quiet as is the reef octopus. Ive heard good things about the neptune cor 20 as well but unsure what gph or head height we are talking about

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried getting her into coral? Mine lets me spend whatever on fish, but I still got her into the hobby so we would have something else to share. Side effect, There are no complaints about the fish budget lol.

Also on the original subject, Double up on the silicone mat and youd be amazed at the noise reduction. Also check and see if the pump is sitting on a single edge or corner as this can cause alot of extra noise if its not mounted flat, as well as if its backed up against a wall.

My wife hates fish and coral. Lol. The 200 gallon i am putting together will be the most beautiful thing/piece of furniture in our home and she'll still hate it... I love her but she has no hobbies to speak of--even before we had kids, kinda interesting, maybe a little weird. She'll just look at all the downsides of having a reef tank and would rather spend money on anything else. I am lucky, on a good day, to have her tolerate my hobby.

If my aquarium pumps made noise or bugged her--oh lord--i'd be buying every silicone mat on Amazon. :)

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try moving that flexible tube so there is a bit of horizontal space, that will slow the running sound of the water but still allow for flow. It looks like it straight shots right now which will cause it to accelerate and add additional noise.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bulk head fitting through the glass .
straight into a T and down to the sump .
That overflow is right beside my as we watch movies .
I don’t mind but my wife says it’s loud .
image.jpg
Dont know if it's been answered or resolved, but if the gurgling is bothering the Mrs. It's due to you overflow trying to set up a sipgon, and sucking air. Try rotating it 90 to 180 degrees and see if it solves the problem. However if the pump stops, make sure you have the extra reserve in the sump to hold the overflow from the tank. In addition, I'd get a guardover that intake to prevent a snail or fish or other critter from blocking the tube. If that were to happen your pump will pump all the water up to the tank, maybe out and flood. If the heater is in the sump, it may become uncovered and start a fire.

Back