Quieter DOS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good tips on making the DOS quieter? It is so loud when it runs, I can hear the vibration through the cabinet on to the floorboards from downstairs! It is only running at 7ml/min but these things are ridiculous loud. I also have a Coral Box and a Jebao dosers and I cannot here them at all.
Just wondering if anyone has managed to dampen the noise on their DOS ?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good tips on making the DOS quieter? It is so loud when it runs, I can hear the vibration through the cabinet on to the floorboards from downstairs! It is only running at 7ml/min but these things are ridiculous loud. I also have a Coral Box and a Jebao dosers and I cannot here them at all.
Just wondering if anyone has managed to dampen the noise on their DOS ?
Would be nice but if I didn't live in a concrete bunker and sleep one floor up on the other side of the house I'd have ditched mine for another method of auto water changes. You could try an insulating box built around it with sound dampening foam since it doesn't run all that often. I can't do that with mine due to the volume of water mine has to move overnight. There would be too much heat build-up.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove each dosing head and put some silicone lubricant on the tubing inside.
Should quiet it down considerably.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove each dosing head and put some silicone lubricant on the tubing inside.
Should quiet it down considerably.
Thought I'd give your suggestion a try. Opened them up and there already was a considerable amount of silicone grease in there. I placed more. Slicker than snot on a doorknob but I'm dubious. I'll report back.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I am not alone. Be interested to hear how the silicon goes. It's the clicking noise as well as the motor noise.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I am not alone. Be interested to hear how the silicon goes. It's the clicking noise as well as the motor noise.
Ok, I slathered the living tar outta the tube and rollers. Still sounds eerily like a slow train leaving the station. Not a lick quieter. Maybe my silicone grease is not the sound dampening variety? ;) Oh well, no harm no foul.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually came up with a solution. I built a small doser cabinet with sound proofing and installed that into the aquarium cabinet. It is now at an acceptable sound and although I can still hear it, it is fine. I could make it quieter by removing the perspex front and replacing this with a solid wooden front but I like the ability to see into the doser cabinet itself. I have used sound proofing material to line the inside of this cabinet which I think helps reduce the noise further. Also, the DOS pump speed is running at the slowest possible speed so I suspect if I ran it at its highest speed, this may not be acceptable.

Just for info, the 2 circuit boards at the bottom of the cabinet detect any drips from the dosers themselves. They are linked up to the Apex via a breakout and kill the power to the doser and send me an alert that a leak has been detected.

Hope this helps.

DOS.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back