Quietest skimmer for bedroom nano reef

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hob skimmer. Suck it up. You will hear water trickle or air being sucking into the air silencer maybe but a reef tank is far better or easier to take care.of with one imo...
D

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have adjustments it should be ok, hard to really say. But I do understand what your trying to do with no wave pumps in display. I’m in the same boat setting up my new cube nano. I’d rather not have anything in the display.

there is always drilling a tiny hole in the aio wall to let water into the back chamber at a low level to keep the chamber with at least enough water for the pump and heater to remain submerged
Good luck with your cube! I'm on the fence if I should downgrade the pump. Having enough inflow wasn't even considered previously. I thought 385/hr sounded juicy :).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Not my favorite. Lol. The diameter of the tube is too small or i was pushing too much air through it. It just turned into a bubble trap. I cleaned it and it worked again for a day and went back to a tube with a big air pocket in it. Lol
I was using a marina 200 air pump
D

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best, pulls out more crap than my reef octopus does on my big tank and it’s very very quiet only like 3 feet from my head when I lay down in bed.

I have it on my IM 20 gallon Peninsula and IM 25 Lagoon, it fits perfectly in the AIO compartments and is the perfect size to clean with a toothbrush. I usually have to empty it every 2 weeks or so just because of the smell, which means it’s working. You can find them for great prices on eBay

KCheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a 12 gallon long aquarium in my bedroom. It’s just shy of 10 inches deep.

I’m looking for a quiet skimmer. The glass nano skimmers with drainage lines caught my eye, but another user mentioned it makes loud sucking/gurgling noises. My current/setup tank has a hob skimmer and it’s very annoying.

So I’m looking for a recommendation that isn’t huge budget, isn’t physically huge and isn’t hugely disturbing on the ears. Optimistic indeed.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
You can try one of those skimmers that run with an air stone, pretty dang quite and amazingly work pretty well when a attached to a pump with high or controllable airflow... or ditch the skimmer and stick to a consistent feeding schedule and test your water weekly, that way you can determine how often you can do water changes before organics get to high. Water changes for the win

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try one of those skimmers that run with an air stone, pretty dang quite and amazingly work pretty well when a attached to a pump with high or controllable airflow... or ditch the skimmer and stick to a consistent feeding schedule and test your water weekly, that way you can determine how often you can do water changes before organics get to high. Water changes for the win
That’s a mame or air drive skimmer. I use one on my 14g AIO. It pulls some impressive crud out.

Last edited:

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your cube! I'm on the fence if I should downgrade the pump. Having enough inflow wasn't even considered previously. I thought 385/hr sounded juicy :).

yeah I bought the mighty jet 326gph for my cube, I was planning on the big 500+gph version but held back and I’m glad I did. I hope it’s not too much for my build, but it’s dc and variable speed so it should be ok. And the overflow can be whatever size we want/need also.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best, pulls out more crap than my reef octopus does on my big tank and it’s very very quiet only like 3 feet from my head when I lay down in bed.

I have it on my IM 20 gallon Peninsula and IM 25 Lagoon, it fits perfectly in the AIO compartments and is the perfect size to clean with a toothbrush. I usually have to empty it every 2 weeks or so just because of the smell, which means it’s working. You can find them for great prices on eBay
Can I run it at 9.9 in deep tank? The product height is 11.5" tall. Sounds about right but as I've said before, first time build.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run it at 9.9 in deep tank? The product height is 11.5" tall. Sounds about right but as I've said before, first time build.
My 20 gallon is 13” talk but I have to put the magnet way up on the tank. You have to make sure the collection cup on top is out of the water. I believe the only part that actually has to be submerged is the pump itself. This is a really good video on this skimmer.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the “no skimmer” tally, of all the nano tanks I ran I tried one nano skimmer once (IM skimmer) and was never impressed by the performance.

Routine water changes are the key to nanos imo. Take that money you would’ve spent on a skimmer and maybe work on an auto water change system instead :)
OMG...I ended up buying the Desktop IM skimmer and that silencer is loud as hell...I have the NUVO 20gal... trying to find something that is SILENT right now...

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG...I ended up buying the Desktop IM skimmer and that silencer is loud as hell...I have the NUVO 20gal... trying to find something that is SILENT right now...

I bit the bullet and bought a eshopps nano skimmer. It's dead silent and I actually ordered a second one to hush my other tank that had a cheapy that was sucking and gurgling to no end. I now have two of them running, ear level in my bedroom, no noise issues. What a difference!

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone else is trying to get a skimmer into a 12 gallon long. I actually had to chop about 1.5 inches off the eshopps nano skimmer (hacksaw), but it worked out perfectly. Other similar skimmers have the pump on the bottom which would have made modding it more difficult if not impossible.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bit the bullet and bought a eshopps nano skimmer. It's dead silent and I actually ordered a second one to hush my other tank that had a cheapy that was sucking and gurgling to no end. I now have two of them running, ear level in my bedroom, no noise issues. What a difference!
You are the second person on here to mention the eshopps...I am going to look into it...Feel like i am going to just eat the bullet on this IM and take a L on it...only a week old

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 12 gal bedroom tank, I’d go with no skimmer. In my experience, skimmers barely work in nano tanks, but most of my tanks run on the low nutrient side. A skimmer will be noisy and add heat to the water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back