Quietest skimmer for bedroom nano reef

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a 12 gallon long aquarium in my bedroom. It’s just shy of 10 inches deep.

I’m looking for a quiet skimmer. The glass nano skimmers with drainage lines caught my eye, but another user mentioned it makes loud sucking/gurgling noises. My current/setup tank has a hob skimmer and it’s very annoying.

So I’m looking for a recommendation that isn’t huge budget, isn’t physically huge and isn’t hugely disturbing on the ears. Optimistic indeed.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 12 gallons, the quietest skimmer will be no skimmer at all. Nano skimmers are notoriously poor in the performance department. I know as reefers, we like to be gearheads with all the pieces of equipment we add to our tanks. However, for such a relatively small volume of water, you’re much better served doing regular water changes on a weekly basis.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many small desktop skimmers. The Tunze Comline DOC series are very quiet and efficient and it's a trusted and proven. At that size tank though...ever thought about forgoing the skimmer? Oversize an HOB filter and WC.
I’ll check out the comline. Yes I have considered forgoing, but a friend with far more experience convinced me otherwise. The aio filter will be very overpowered, so maybe I will omit omit the skimmer. Thanks for putting this in my head.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 12 gallons, the quietest skimmer will be no skimmer at all. Nano skimmers are notoriously poor in the performance department. I know as reefers, we like to be gearheads with all the pieces of equipment we add to our tanks. However, for such a relatively small volume of water, you’re much better served doing regular water changes on a weekly basis.
That’s 2 points for no nano skimmer. My pleasure to not buy it and not have to hear/look at it. I’m leaning in this direction.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no skimmer in my 29. nitrates are near 0 with a refugium i rigged in one of the back chambers. ordered some liquid phosban to knock down the .25 PO4

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the “no skimmer” tally, of all the nano tanks I ran I tried one nano skimmer once (IM skimmer) and was never impressed by the performance.

Routine water changes are the key to nanos imo. Take that money you would’ve spent on a skimmer and maybe work on an auto water change system instead :)

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no skimmer in my 29. nitrates are near 0 with a refugium i rigged in one of the back chambers. ordered some liquid phosban to knock down the .25 PO4

Be careful with lanthanum chloride (liquid phosban) without a skimmer or 10 micron sock it can precipitate in the water and find its way into fishes gills.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ice Cap K-1 skimmers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a skimmer on a tank that size of you keep up with water changes. But if you want one, I can’t say enough good things about the Aquamaxx NF-1. It’s got a tiny footprint, is virtually silent, is easy to adjust/dial in, has no micro bubbles, and is a workhorse. I think the MSRP is $89.99, but they were out of stock everywhere a few months ago, and I ended up paying 129.99 for mine (on Amazon). Excellent nano skimmer and will fit in the back of most AiO tanks.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a mockup but perhaps the no skimmer route with 385gph pump, slightly oversized aio media space. I think I’m going to give that a try and decide. Got a list of great skimmer in case I change my mind. Thanks all who contributed.

Pump is a Sicce Silent 1.5, arrives tomorrow :)

image.jpg

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a mockup but perhaps the no skimmer route with 385gph pump, slightly oversized aio media space. I think I’m going to give that a try and decide. Got a list of great skimmer in case I change my mind. Thanks all who contributed.

Pump is a Sicce Silent 1.5, arrives tomorrow :)

image.jpg
385gph seems like way too much for your filter, that pump will probably suck that aio chamber dry

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the “no skimmer” tally, of all the nano tanks I ran I tried one nano skimmer once (IM skimmer) and was never impressed by the performance.

Routine water changes are the key to nanos imo. Take that money you would’ve spent on a skimmer and maybe work on an auto water change system instead :)
I've never tried auto water change, not even sure how it works but ummm.....yes please :)

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
385gph seems like way too much for your filter, that pump will probably suck that aio chamber dry
It's adjustable flow but you have me thinking. If I don't make a mess of it I can return it. Do you think the 1.0 (250 gph adjustable) version is a better fit. That one was recommended in another thread.

My idea was to have a high gph pump with a spin steam and possible omit a powerhead. What you say about the dry chamber has be second guessing. I haven't built one of these before.

Last edited:

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's adjustable flow but you have me thinking. If I don't make a mess of it I can return it. Do you think the 1.0 (250 gph adjustable) version is a better fit. That one was recommended in another thread.

My idea was to have a high gph pump with a spin steam and possible omit a powerhead. What you say about the dry chamber has be second guessing. I haven't built one of these before.
If you have adjustments it should be ok, hard to really say. But I do understand what your trying to do with no wave pumps in display. I’m in the same boat setting up my new cube nano. I’d rather not have anything in the display.

there is always drilling a tiny hole in the aio wall to let water into the back chamber at a low level to keep the chamber with at least enough water for the pump and heater to remain submerged

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back