qustion on hanna ultra low nitrate checker

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently acquired the Hanna ultra low nitrate checker. After figuring out how to use it, I managed to get through the first test. it flashed 5.00 which means if I understand correctly the nitrates are above 5 ppm and the test sample needs to be diluted. After diluting per instructions and running the test again I came up with 0.88. Is this 0.88 ppm or do I need to multiply this answer due to the dilution? It dawned on me this morning that 5.00 is higher then 0.88ppm. Hence my question.

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to do the math yourself... (The checker can not know if you have diluted the sample or not)... If you followed the dilution steps in the manual you should multiply by 10. (The manual also tell this).

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed that. Thank you. Guess my Nitrates are a little higher then first thought. Glad I asked.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the video with Mr. Saltwater. For me this was the best description of how the unit worked. There are a lot of steps but overall it's not horrible. Just time consuming

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also to stop the leak from the filter, you should use nylon tape to wrap around the thread and it will stop the leak.

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm debating buying one. I'm using the Red Sea Low Nitrate kit which also gives a decent reading down to 5PPM, but I think you can dilute that test with RO/DI water.
I dilute the RS Nitrate test - 4ml sample : 12ml r/o. Multiply the result by 4.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm debating buying one. I'm using the Red Sea Low Nitrate kit which also gives a decent reading down to 5PPM, but I think you can dilute that test with RO/DI water.
They are about to release a 1 regent Nitrate checker from Hanna that I think will do up to 20 ppm, I have the OG test hanna and I'll GIVE IT TO YOU, it's absolutely stupid. I plan on picking up the new one after awhile.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back