OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occurred to me that with the cabinet being covered in red glass, at night the refugium light will probably turn that cabinet into a huge red chinese lamp.

I live in the countryside and the tank will be right in front of a glass wall... I think I will have guys knocking on my door asking if any of the ladies is available...

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one female and she lives with 2 males :)

With the last layout I posted here, the bta's will be on the left corner, the magnifica on the right corner and the corals in the middle.

I keep thinking about the possibility of having a pair of clowns of another species on the bta's. I always end up giving on the idea. Here's why.

The 2 clowns that definitely will go to the bta's are the most aggressive of all: maroons and all clowns from the tomato complex (I love how this sounds).

These 2 options would pose a problem to the rest of the tank population.

There are other clown species that could take to the bta's, but it's not guaranteed that they wouldn't covet the magnifica. I'm thinking about the clowns of the Clarki complex.

Then there's some oddballs like the latezonatus, but it would be risky as well. I don't know if they could also prefer the magnifica.

Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that all the clowns that can be hosted by both mags and bta's, will prefer mags.

It wasn't easy to get that trio of ocellaris to live in harmony and I don't want to put that relationship in risk.

The bta's will have remain a devolute real estate.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 doors are in place and they are ready to be painted, tempered in the oven and then painted again.

Can't wait to see them with the locks.

received_2445393115503135.jpeg

Last edited:

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how much would a system like this cost in the US?
From a manufacturer or custom tank builder I’m gonna throw a estimate (for just the tank and stand) 5000-7500. Probably in the high end because of the build quality.

If I had the skill to build I would throw out a geuss of 2000-3000. (Still just tank and stand)
Edit: this is in USD

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for this tank since the end of last September and sometimes I get really tired of the wait. Tired like unmotivated.

The guy who's building the system really puts his heart into it, but building fish tanks is not his main source of income, so through all this time, the tank often took the backseat.

Hopefully when I finally get the tank here, it will feel like it was worth the wait.

Since that time that I have everything ready for the change, because it takes me nearly a week to get all the saltwater I need for the new system and I can't be caught off guard when the tank arrives.

One way I try to keep the spirits up during this long wait is to plan around the new fish.

I am planning to double the fish population shortly after and that takes a great deal of preparation too because I want to quarentine the new fish all at once.

My main goal with this quarentine is to reduce the odds of getting my existing fish sick.

This topic by Paul B made me settle my ideas about how I want to quarentine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.534274/

Although this is a topic about a no quarentine method, I learned a few things that I plan to incorporate in the quarentine and how I manage the tank: get better and more diverse foods and run an oxydator alongside with an UV unit.

I have a 300 liter tank ready to receive the new fish. The tank has live rock and ceramic media that I had left from my old Tanganyika tank. It has no sand yet, but I will add it soon.

I have been changing water between my tank and the quarentine tanks a couple of times per week.

I will not medicate that tank until I see a sign of disease. It will hopefully be just a 2 week observation period where the fish will be allowed to recover and adjust to new conditions before joining the main tank.

When they finally enter the tank, even if they are carrying some hidden disease, the new environment will not be friendly to diseases due to the oxydator and UV.

I will also transfer the rock from the quarentine to the new tank at the same time so that the new fish have unclaimed familiar territory at the time they enter the tank.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No news about the tank... so I ordered the new fish. Why does this sound like a bad decision.

I already have the 300 liters quarentine tank cycled with live rock and ceramic media, so if the tank arrives in the next weeks, that's the time I need to quarentine the new fish. It would be a good idea to put them all at the same time in the new tank.

Just to recapitulate, I have:

- 3 Clownfish (ocellaris)
- 2 Flame angels
- 2 Threadfin cardinals
- 2 Banggai cardinals
- 2 Yellow assessors
- 1 Diamond goby
- 1 Tomini tang

I ordered:

- 2 Marine bettas
- 2 flame hawkfish
- 7 threadfin cardincals
- 2 Matted filefish
- 1 Diamond goby

I told them that if they find a couple of Latezonatus clowns and a few apogonichthys hyalinus I could be interested in them as alternates.

In the meantime, I was thinking about what to do with my current 100 gallons shallow cube in the future. I was thinking it would be a nice tank for the magnifica when it grows.

Mag1.jpg

Mag2.jpg

I make this images and then I begin to salivate imagining them coming to life.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said that he needs to make a little correction on the tank.

He doesn't like the way the brace is laminated.

He's going to take the brace out and make a new one.

He will cut the 2 glasses again, laminate them and glue them back to the tank.

I told him that I live in an isolated place, there won't be queues of people coming to see the tank and that I promised to never take macro pictures of the brace... to no avail.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this tank in August.

If you take into account his OCD, his time management skills and that making fish tanks is not how he earns his living, you have the explanation for having to wait almost 6 months for the tank.

He's losing money with this tank but he doesn't seem to care much about it. Right now the only option I have left is to kidnap his family.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this tank in August.

If you take into account his OCD, his time management skills and that making fish tanks is not how he earns his living, you have the explanation for having to wait almost 6 months for the tank.

He's losing money with this tank but he doesn't seem to care much about it. Right now the only option I have left is to kidnap his family.

Ha! Do it! Seriously, it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back