OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threadfin cardinals are 2 females and 1 male. Not a good combination.

The 2 females try to persuade the small male to hold their eggs and this means that the larger female isolates the smaller one.

I wanted to have a much bigger group but most of the fish I got just wouldn't eat at all.

I will stick to my decision of not adding more fish, not because of the sake of keeping my word, but because these fish don't acclimate easily and the risk of bringing diseases to the tank is high.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I went back to check when I started this thread and a lot has happened since I first posted 11 months ago.

It was a painful long wait for the tank, but things have progressed fast after that (the arrived little over 4 months ago) and the tank is now going steady and I (think I) have a tight hand on the rudder.

I read somewhere here in the forum that keeping a reef tank is like riding a bike... only that the bike is on fire and you're on fire riding through hell.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow, so much thought went into this build. I truly enjoyed reading through it.

I couldn't help but wonder what your occupation is looking at your 100% analytical approach? The planning, the drawings, the calculations, comparisons, wow - what do you do?

Either way, great job! Keep it up.

Not often you see real display tanks - you have certainly achieved it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot!

I studied maths and computer science but I ended up working in 3d animation with some teaching along the way.

I'm home 99% of the time in a very isolated place, so a great deal of my life revolves around this tank.

If I was going to setup a tank from scratch, I wouldn't be like this, but there's a lot of corals and fish that came from previous setups that I have to accommodate.

There's a large number of bta's that must be kept isolated, 1 orange drop bta that doesn't get along with the other bta's and also need to have it's own area and of course, the magnifica.

All this puts a great deal of constraints in terms of what I can do with the tank.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot!

I studied maths and computer science but I ended up working in 3d animation with some teaching along the way.

I'm home 99% of the time in a very isolated place, so a great deal of my life revolves around this tank.

If I was going to setup a tank from scratch, I wouldn't be like this, but there's a lot of corals and fish that came from previous setups that I have to accommodate.

There's a large number of bta's that must be kept isolated, 1 orange drop bta that doesn't get along with the other bta's and also need to have it's own area and of course, the magnifica.

All this puts a great deal of constraints in terms of what I can do with the tank.
Hello, sorry to bug you but I saw that you have a Marine Betta and some Banggai Cardinals. I could not find any other experiences with them and the betta and I wanted to try that out. I was wondering if the Marine Betta is ok with the Banggais. Also, I was reading through a bit and like the tank! :)

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the 2 waspfish from the refugium to the tank a couple of weeks ago.

I hadn't seen them since then until today. I saw the female in the back corner and she didn't look happy, she seemed that wanted to find a way out of the tank.

Yesterday I cleaned the 2 pumps and as a result, there was so much flow in the tank that I decided to just keep one pump in the tank and remove the other.

A single Jebao CP-150 is enough for the tank.

Even so, there was so much flow that the female waspfish couldn't stay still on the sand. Maybe this change in flow dislodged her from wherever she was spending the day.

She had good color though. When she is frightened she looks mostly white.

I decided to catch her and move her back to the refugium. I don't know if they're eating anything so I decided to give her an extended period of adaptation to the tank in a secluded area. She didn't look fat, but she didn't look too thin either.

I am trying to train the larger marine betta to come out to eat when I knock on the glass 3 times and I thought about doing the same to the female waspfish in the refugium before returning her to the tank.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks have passed since the 3 angels went in and started nipping (that's a mild word) at everything, especially a nice trachy. Time to bring the trachy back...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back