OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day: the smallest clown of the clown trio has been evicted from the magnifica.

I think I arrived a few minutes after trouble began.

At first, I noticed that the male was trying to push him out. Then I saw the smallest one make an attack at the male and from then on things escalated quickly with both the male and the female pushing him out with increasingly violent attacks.

These 3 have a sad story going back a few years ago. I got a 100 gallons shallow cube with the purpose of having a clown harem. I already had an adult couple and I added 11 small clowns.

In a few days... brook. It took out most of the fish, including the 10 year old darwin female. These 3 were the survivors and they have been getting along with a big hiccup when I gave them a magnifica. They eventually sorted things out with my help. I became their enemy for a couple of days to show them they needed all the help they could get in order to be allowed to stay in the magnifica.

It worked... until today.

Clowns are notoriously unpredictable, which doesn't mean that their behaviour is erratic, it's just difficult for us to understand at times.

I didn't get to see what happened right from the start, but my guess is that the little one rebelled after a few years at bottom of that little hierarchy.

At one point, there was some confusion and I even saw the male being aggressive towards the female, it looked like he was trying to evict her from the magnifica.

Maybe I'm seeing too much into this, but I think the male also saw this turmoil as an opportunity to keep the small rebel, kick out the female and become a female himself.

Finding Nemo was a missed opportunity to make a really interesting film.

I won't intervene for now.

If the smaller one really tried to rebel, maybe he will submit again and be allowed back in the magnifica.

If it doesn't work out, I will try pair him with a tomato clown

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The couple allowed the small clown to stay in the toadstool right next to the magnifica. They were not happy about it because they tried to chase him away from time to time.

They laid eggs and today they allowed the small clown back in the magnifica.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched him spit part of the eggs.

Yesterday I killed a bubbletip with aiptasia-X.

It moved from the anemone mountain to the rock in front.

The problem is that both waspfish live now under that rock and the anemone had its foot there too. It would have been very difficult to remove it, even if the wasps were not there.

It was an horrible thing to do, but I have to draw some limits for the anemones.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't expecting that these 2 would get along so well.

They are not very appreciated by the angels. You can see in the video that one of the heraldi angels tries to stab the wasps with the gill spines.

Anyway, these 2 are absurdly cute.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy models, they don't go too far and everything about them is fascinating. The way they swim or walk, how they eat, the way the dorsal fin begins so close to the forehead and their cute fades.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your Betta ! ! What does yours eat? I haven't had one in years but mine used to eat frozen and I'd spoil him every once and a while with ghost shrimp.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the last video is the smaller one, the altivelis. That one is eating mysis very well since the beginning, she was really small so I didn't feed her anything else, I thought it was enough.

The other one is larger and doesn't chase mysis with as much enthusiasm so I tried feeding him pieces of shrimp with tweezers and he went for it right from the start. Lately I have been feeding him scallops too.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very rare that I post photos, so here is one. I didn't know that gonioporas have sweeper tentacles. Only the purple has them.

IMG_20191109_183144.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby Banggai that had been sucked by the return pump to the DT moved in with the clowns. It's getting really hard to resist the temptation to move the whole banggai gang up to the DT.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer was pretty mild around here but in 2018 I measured 48 degrees C in the shade.

I am still considering getting a chiller, but in the meantime I got a fan to replace a Jebao unit that never worked as well as it should.

So, here's my review of the AquaMedic Arctic Breeze. When I turned it on for the first time I thought I had bought a drone, the thing looked like it wanted to take flight.

I really like preparing and seeing the results of these tests.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back