R.I.P Nemo need help

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we just lost a clown fish. We thought it was clownfish disease and treated it as so. ( Died in QT) Medication that were used Focused+ kannplex, neoplex, rally pro. Medication available all above, ich-x, copper safe, metroplex, medic x. Please see pictures below to help determine disease. Noticed gills are not normal.
PXL_20211120_235057807.jpg
PXL_20211120_235210599.jpg
PXL_20211120_235057807.jpg
PXL_20211120_235131827.jpg
PXL_20211120_235156885.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice to know - ammonia levels, etc. It sounds like you used a lot of medications. It would be helpful to know - 'when' each was used - to get an idea. What is 'clownfish disease' - Brooklynella?

OP
OP
F

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes brook...
Current perameters:

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitirate 0
API test strips and red sea for amonia
I placed a few bio blocks from my cycled tank for now until the meds kill off the bacteria. Water change planned tomorrow.

When the QT was set up i started with 1 dose of neoplex. Then mixed focus and kannplex with the food. Then started rally pro after day 1. I was hoping someone could help me come up with a medication plan/ schedule.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes brook...
Current perameters:

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitirate 0
API test strips and red sea for amonia
I placed a few bio blocks from my cycled tank for now until the meds kill off the bacteria. Water change planned tomorrow.

When the QT was set up i started with 1 dose of neoplex. Then mixed focus and kannplex with the food. Then started rally pro after day 1. I was hoping someone could help me come up with a medication plan/ schedule.
What other fish were in with this clown?
Do they have any symptoms?
What was the history of this fish? It is pretty large, so either wild caught or a long term captive I’d say.
Jay

OP
OP
F

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete history is that this clown came as a pair when we first started our RS 170. It was fine. We recently started a new RS 425. In that process we bought a small school of clowns (5) and they were doing well until about 2 weeks ago. We started to lose clowns only one by one until only 1was left. As the new ones started to die I was thinking it was the new tank not cycled or something along those lines and put one of the last clowns that were struggling into the 170 to see if it would turn around. Well that brought brook into my 170 with my original clowns Spreading it into my 170. Now I have the 425 going fallow for min 6weeks and all fish that were in the 425 in a new QT I set up since.

425 tank mates: (all in QT)

pigmy dwarf angel
Flame angel
2x engineer goby
White Wyoming clown

170 tank mates not in QT still acting fine (only pulled the clown that started acting up after the clown from the 425 died in the 170):

Valentini puffer
Yellow corse wrasse
Blue tang ( the reason for getting the 425)* for tang police
Sleeper gold head goby

symptoms included:

stopped eating
Started to swim near the top
Had some white on the body
Noticed when taking pictures that the white was missing scales.
Gills looked red but like they were fading to grey white.
Stomach didn’t look or feel empty
I did notice white stringy poop

image.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like Brooklynella, but to be honest, all those details are tough to follow.
Brooklynella is difficult to treat without formalin. Those antibiotics and focus won’t have any benefit. Ruby Reef has reportedly worked in some cases, but only early on in the infection.
Jay

OP
OP
F

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay i have been contemplating ordering it through Amazon thinking 500ml is way to much for what I need but might be the only thing I can do to save the fish my family have gotten attached to. Ordering it Rn to see if that can help i know there is an article explaining how to use it so I'll be on the look out for it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay i have been contemplating ordering it through Amazon thinking 500ml is way to much for what I need but might be the only thing I can do to save the fish my family have gotten attached to. Ordering it Rn to see if that can help i know there is an article explaining how to use it so I'll be on the look out for it.
oh! I may be too late here, but Amazon sells something called neutral buffered formalin, it is a 10% fixative solution. I don't think you can use that as fish medication. What you need is pure formalin with methanol stabilizer. It is sold as "37% formaldehyde".

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back