R.I.P to my Clownfish :(

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an ocellaris clownfish from my LFS and named him Mercury! He was an energetic little dude that enjoyed saying hi when I walked up to my tank. One morning I woke up and I found him dead and stuck to the back of my powerhead :( I had taken off the fish guard so that I could get the best angle for optimal flow in my tank, but now I would rather have poor flow than having blood on my hands :( USE THE FISH GUARD ALWAYS!!!!!! I am ashamed that I am the reason my clownfish died but I have to share my story so that hopefully it can be prevented in the future.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, I suspect your clownfish might have had issues. I have clowns in both of my tanks and each tank has TONS of flow and clowns survive easily. The other option is get a variable speed powerhead if your next one is a juvenile, but clowns are pretty tough.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, I suspect your clownfish might have had issues. I have clowns in both of my tanks and each tank has TONS of flow and clowns survive easily. The other option is get a variable speed powerhead if your next one is a juvenile, but clowns are pretty tough.
I have the Nero 3 and have the variability for flow ranging between 35% and 75% depending on the time of day. He was eating regularly and didn't seem to be exhibiting erratic or irregular behavior. My purple firefish is still going strong though

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 3 and have the variability for flow ranging between 35% and 75% depending on the time of day. He was eating regularly and didn't seem to be exhibiting erratic or irregular behavior. My purple firefish is still going strong though
Stuff happens. I've had fish turn up dead and have no idea what happened... it's part of life/reef keeping. Just do your best and watch for signs it's the best you can do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back