Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! Wild Friday! got the kids to bed then cleaned the skimmer...
everyone in QT is doing well despite the cramped conditions... I keep dosing prime and bio-booster so I don't kill the fish. water change tomorrow after prazi has enough time. I am sooo tempted to skip copper...
Clean skimmer: IMG_9681.JPEG
Back to the manual filter... IMG_9680.JPEG
Filter floss roller prototype in for modifications: IMG_9682.JPEG

QT Fish Pics:
IMG_9643.JPEG IMG_9670.JPEG IMG_9669.JPEG IMG_9668.JPEG IMG_9667.JPEG IMG_9666.JPEG IMG_9662.JPEG IMG_9656.JPEG IMG_9655.JPEG IMG_9654.JPEG IMG_9648.JPEG IMG_9657.JPEG
Nive Banggai's...im down to 2 out of 7 in a month and a half, I've never had them before I didn't realize how picky eaters they are..

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nive Banggai's...im down to 2 out of 7 in a month and a half, I've never had them before I didn't realize how picky eaters they are..
wow really? I was likening them to Oscars; mine seem to watch me like a hawk and goto the feeding spot whenever I'm in the room waiting for food.
I am actually planning to transfer the fish out of QT early based on how chill they've all been. Even the 6-line, who was in QT a week early is acting like a model citizen with the 8 other critters in there.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter is really getting into the tank! IMG_9691.JPEG
This is adorable. I relate to this because just today, unprompted, my 10 year old daughter asked me what the scientific name of her favorite fish was... This for her is our purple dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus). I was shocked on two different levels. One, when she was five, she referred to all of the fish as "This is RANDOM KID FISH NAME is a SCIENTIFIC NAME". this was usually followed by random facts about how Frank commonly known as a Mandarin Dragonet hunted copepods all day long. The second shock was realizing that she did not remember the scientific name. That's on me. Once I reminded her, she was able to remember. I need to ensure that she does not lose the engagement that she once had. That is the kind of interest that this simple post reminded me of.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter is really getting into the tank! IMG_9691.JPEG
That’s so sweet! One of my favorite things in life is seeing people try to spell “anemone”

Tank is looking great, Sam! :star-struck:

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That’s so sweet! One of my favorite things in life is seeing people try to spell “anemone”

Tank is looking great, Sam! :star-struck:
Thanks! oops, just remembered I entered this contest and took a full tank shot that I didn't put on the build thread!
IMG_9689.JPEG IMG_9690.JPEG
This has the two 54W 48” T5 Blue Plus - ATI T5s on (only 4 hrs a day for those) in addition to the old galaxy hydros. I think all the royal blue channels on the left fixture are out. I am so tempted to just spend the $340~ on 2 new Noopsyche... specially after seeing this on YouTube today.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is adorable. I relate to this because just today, unprompted, my 10 year old daughter asked me what the scientific name of her favorite fish was... This for her is our purple dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus). I was shocked on two different levels. One, when she was five, she referred to all of the fish as "This is RANDOM KID FISH NAME is a SCIENTIFIC NAME". this was usually followed by random facts about how Frank commonly known as a Mandarin Dragonet hunted copepods all day long. The second shock was realizing that she did not remember the scientific name. That's on me. Once I reminded her, she was able to remember. I need to ensure that she does not lose the engagement that she once had. That is the kind of interest that this simple post reminded me of.
I am so stoked; she watches me like a hawk whenever I am doing tank stuff and always wants to help.
I usually need a few beer before I let her catch the fish for transfers but if that's the price for involvement, I'll pay every time. lol I think mine is cut from the same cloth as yours!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Doh!
All my blues on the left light went this morning... If @noopsyche wants me for their contest they should speak up soon! I'm about to just pull the trigger on two of their lights to replace my blackboxes. I guess I could always add a third. $380 w/remote

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh!
All my blues on the left light went this morning... If @noopsyche wants me for their contest they should speak up soon! I'm about to just pull the trigger on two of their lights to replace my blackboxes. I guess I could always add a third. $380 w/remote
Pull that trigger!

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, nice tank! I came across your thread today and realized we have the exact same tank and stand (as far as I can tell from the pictures). I bought mine used off fb marketplace about 6 months ago. I haven't filled mine yet, still compiling equipment. But to be honest I am hesitant about the tank itself. Mine does not not have the two center braces that yours seems to have and some of my trim on the back is cracked. I don't know what these looked like new so wondering if the center brace is original and mine was just removed. It was fairly cheap so I thought I would give it a try and the glass is 5/8" thick so not sure a center brace was ever on it, but after seeing yours I'm not feeling very confident in filling it up. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, nice tank! I came across your thread today and realized we have the exact same tank and stand (as far as I can tell from the pictures). I bought mine used off fb marketplace about 6 months ago. I haven't filled mine yet, still compiling equipment. But to be honest I am hesitant about the tank itself. Mine does not not have the two center braces that yours seems to have and some of my trim on the back is cracked. I don't know what these looked like new so wondering if the center brace is original and mine was just removed. It was fairly cheap so I thought I would give it a try and the glass is 5/8" thick so not sure a center brace was ever on it, but after seeing yours I'm not feeling very confident in filling it up. What are your thoughts?
I am not sure the center brace is structural. I've only put leveling feet at the four corners and the center brace doesnt have a load on it. Mine only has the one brace in the front, nothing in the back. I love the tank; you can always make a stand out of 2x4s.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I got 3 my first time to the store then got another when I went to get their gobies... The 4th one died yesterday - even though it was from the same brood, when I picked him up the lfs person said they had some salinity issues in their tank. guess the fish was weakened. He was in my tank for a week; one Prazi dose, 3 days later I do a water change; the water was 1.5 degrees hotter then their existing water but was only 50% change. I noticed he was pale. Next morning I find him dead. :(
The other three are doing great still at least

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure the center brace is structural. I've only put leveling feet at the four corners and the center brace doesnt have a load on it. Mine only has the one brace in the front, nothing in the back. I love the tank; you can always make a stand out of 2x4s.
Ha sorry I meant on the tank itself. I wasn’t very clear. I don’t have any center braces spanning the middle on the top trim of the tank. The stand looks fine.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
7E6F2DCF-FE56-4D40-91CB-57B5888FC9A5.jpeg

Here is picture of the top center
oh wow! that's kind of nice no shadow from the brace. Regarding structural integrity I really cannot give you advice. Did the person you bought it from say anything about it? It'd be pretty easy to RTV another in, could do a smaller one.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sam - You have come a long way in a very short period of time! You are a very talented young man! Kudos!
Thanks! I've been reading and watching a lot of videos about it before I started :). You're only seeing the execution portion.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've been reading and watching a lot of videos about it before I started :). You're only seeing the execution portion.
Obviously you did a lot of research to be able to execute so much in only a few short months! But there is more - Quick learner, astute observations, and keen mind! Your accomplishments are very impressive!

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow! that's kind of nice no shadow from the brace. Regarding structural integrity I really cannot give you advice. Did the person you bought it from say anything about it? It'd be pretty easy to RTV another in, could do a smaller one.
Yeah I did ask about a center brace when I bought it. I know its a big no no to remove that, and of course they said no the tank has not been altered. So your center brace looks original?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I did ask about a center brace when I bought it. I know its a big no no to remove that, and of course they said no the tank has not been altered. So your center brace looks original?
It is original; I got the tank from the first owner and I've seen other Oceanics. The heavy build-quality is what attracted me to the brand.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back