R2R APP COMING SOON: If you can dream it...

Are you excited about a real deal APP for R2R?

• YES

Votes: 426 78.7%
  • Kinda

Votes: 58 10.7%
  • NO

Votes: 57 10.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This weekend I was over at my dad's, and he showed me this new app he has where he takes a picture of a plant, and it tells him what it is.

This would be so useful for fish, corals, inverts, and even algae. How many threads are ID threads here?

What app if I may ask?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What app if I may ask?
I believe it is called PlantSnap. But there are several out there that ID plants. My mother-in-law has another one that doesn't seem to work as well. But its specific for houseplants so when you take a picture, it will ID the plant and then give you care instructions.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is awesome news!

Having test result tracking and maintenance reminder type of features would be awesome.

I wonder too if those sorts of features could somehow link up with people’s build threads so the forum can share more of their daily activity and get ideas from how other people manage their tanks.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Device Orientation
2. Mobile-first Design ( when the website adjusts parts of it depending on the size of the screen)
3. User Feedback button
4. Automatic speech recognition( part of future update if not in the 1st phase)
5. Opportunity for personalization(flexible fonts, backgrounds settings etc)

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see an easy way for folks to upload short videos from their phones for fish disease diagnosis. Would probably need some sort of time limiter on that function though, in order to control file size.

Jay

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I was over at my dad's, and he showed me this new app he has where he takes a picture of a plant, and it tells him what it is.

This would be so useful for fish, corals, inverts, and even algae. How many threads are ID threads here?
I thought about making something like this in rust
the main issue with this idea is the amount of accurate training data the machine learning algorithm would need is hard to provide, it would need around 100 different images of each fish(I have no experience this is from google)

also please have an api for the website/app it would be so nice to get posts and parameter info(if you add it) in a simple way

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about making something like this in rust
the main issue with this idea is the amount of accurate training data the machine learning algorithm would need is hard to provide, it would need around 100 different images of each fish(I have no experience this is from google)

also please have an api for the website/app it would be so nice to get posts and parameter info(if you add it) in a simple way
This, and unlike plants and insects there is a massive variations within species (invert, coral and algae wise) which is very difficult to accurately id.
We already have google lens with a HUGE data base and millions of images to compare to but 40% of the times it doesn't work as wanted.
There is this app that I used in the past called "picture insect" for insect id.
I can see something similar working for fish, some inverts and even corals but I imagine it would be difficult for algae and pests.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to have a community way to answer problems about people's reefs via untagged photography in double blind fashion.

Basically you take a photo in the app, describe your problem or ask your question, then people can scroll up, see a photo and this person's tank data, with something like " Is this Bryopsis?" Or "what is this thing?" And then people can pick yes/no, or more information needed, indicating it may be worth an actual forum post.

I'd also enjoy seeing R2R integrate a photo bin model of sorts where we can sort photos by the tags they put on them, such as "wrasse" or" 120g" so that when we want to browse other people's tanks we get a sort of feed from people who have tanks that fit those tags so we can see what they do, what species they may have, and network more appropriately with reefers who may (hopefully) have ecosystems and setups fairly similar to our own. A great example of this is www.astrobin.com, where astrophotographers can compare and contrast photos from people with different or similar telescopic setups or processes from all around the world.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karen - You are really onto something here - your smartphone reading parameters, par levels, and other vitals!
Wouldn't that be a dream come true?!! Have a phone adapter that goes into the water and is attached to the phone. Stick the adapter in the calibration solution first then your tank. :) Or just make a phone that you can drop in the tank. Either way that is my wish list. :) IMO this is the next generation of testing solutions. :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put no. I'm not going through 5 pages to see if we get better emojis and replace these stale ones that replaced the fun emojis. I also don't care for gifs.

But... If we get the old fun emojis back. Yes, I'm excited. I guess that makes me simple?

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
app R2R image.jpg

Hey Reef2Reefers!! We’ve got some exciting news and WE NEED YOUR INPUT!!

We’re developing a brand new R2R app RIGHT NOW! And we don’t want this to just be any old app. We don’t want it to even just be the greatest forum app ever! We want it to be the greatest REEFING APP ever!! Think BIGGER than just the forum!!!

We’ve been putting together some ideas, but we need your input, and we need you to DREAM BIG! If you think about the greatest reefing app in the history of reefing apps, what are some things you’d want to see included?

Give us some of your best ideas!
OMG! I just posted a thread about an app! This is awesome!

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly? I'm really not interested.
I don't need a separate unique app for every forum I visit. That's best done through the browser.
I actually get pretty frustrated when the forums I visit keep bombarding me with prompts to "download the Tapatalk app", or when every third click takes me to the App store to download the forum's app instead of just taking me to the right page. I guess the point is - it's fine that you're building an app for those who particularly want it, but please don't let the mobile/desktop version of the forums languish and don't constantly try and push users to use the App. It's simply bad practice to try and segment your audience off into your own locked down ecosystem, instead of using the tools that they already have (ie: a mobile browser).

dieselgoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karen - You are really onto something here - your smartphone reading parameters, par levels, and other vitals!
I want to be able to stick my phone in the water while the app is running and it does all of my testing. ;-) OK, that might be a bit much to ask for out of the gate so things like logging parameters, adding video, more emojis, calculators, albums. These are all great. :)
The real question is how much would you pay for an ap on your phone that did this ?

Back