R2R APP COMING SOON: If you can dream it...

Are you excited about a real deal APP for R2R?

• YES

Votes: 426 78.7%
  • Kinda

Votes: 58 10.7%
  • NO

Votes: 57 10.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
app R2R image.jpg

Hey Reef2Reefers!! We’ve got some exciting news and WE NEED YOUR INPUT!!

We’re developing a brand new R2R app RIGHT NOW! And we don’t want this to just be any old app. We don’t want it to even just be the greatest forum app ever! We want it to be the greatest REEFING APP ever!! Think BIGGER than just the forum!!!

We’ve been putting together some ideas, but we need your input, and we need you to DREAM BIG! If you think about the greatest reefing app in the history of reefing apps, what are some things you’d want to see included?

Give us some of your best ideas!

this is exciting . I can’t wait .
1) to track and log parameters
2) dosing calculators .
3) reminder calendar

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If would be nice to have some solid data on people's tanks as a custom button for themselves so that when they ask for help on forums, the button pastes all the most recent data on the specific tank along with most recent photo of the tank. This would save a lot of typing and time and wondering.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a way to connect your R2r web account to app to quickly find saved bookmarks. That way you have easy access to ideas or DIY on the app, saving you time

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might just be a given, but I agree with the tracking and logging parameters - being able not only to see current parameters but past parameters (preferably going back to the tank’s founding, or to a customized date, or going back a set amount of time - i.e. 30 days, 90 days, ) as well would be helpful for seeing your tank’s health over time. I would also suggest making it so you can track this info for multiple tanks, not just one at a time (since many of us run multiple tanks simultaneously).

In addition to parameters, being able to track equipment, livestock (fish, corals, inverts, macros, etc.), feeding info (such as time fed, feeding frequency, what was fed, etc.), and tank information (gallonage, barebottom/deep sand bed/etc., live rock/dry rock/both/etc., how many lbs of rock, mixed reef/sps/FOWLR/etc.) would be great - It’s a lot, yeah, but I know a compressed build thread idea has been thrown around, and this could be one way of doing that in a snapshot while allowing for the tank owner (and anyone they decide to share this info with) to have all of this info (including the tank’s history if they want to look through it) at their fingertips. This could make it substantially easier for people to sift through the different builds and find ones they’re wanting to see.

Similarly, being able to track spawning/breeding and rearing info and events/milestones and share it would be nice too (particularly if it shared the info on parameters, time/timeframe, the tank and equipment, food, etc. as well as which livestock was involved). There seem to be a fair number of people interested in breeding their livestock, but there’s not a whole lot of engagement on the breeding forum - I think making it easier to find who’s having success with what and what they’re doing to have success would encourage/engage a lot of hopeful breeders, and I think being able to easily track/show off progress in their breeding would encourage/engage a lot of current breeders. Just my two - admittedly biased on this topic - cents. (As a side note, adding a “Breeder/Aquaculture” badge for people who have successfully reared species in captivity could help energize people on the forum to start breeding more livestock - you could even break it into “Fish Breeder”, “Invert Breeder”, “Coral Breeder” - specifically for spawning/actually breeding corals, not just growing and fragging them - etc.).

As others have mentioned, a way to share parameters/tank info to the forum easily.

Easy access to your bookmarks and followed threads/forums woyld

Beyond that, an obvious link labeled “Stickies” or “Sticky Threads” prominently displayed (so it’s borderline impossible to miss) that links to/lists all of the different sticky threads (including the libraries of fish, diseases/treatments, corals, etc. that everyone has suggested) under their forum headings. A lot of the threads that people might view as “clogging up the forums” could be avoided if people knew the stickies existed and where to find them. Plus, the info in the stickies is really helpful for beginners, so showing them off a bit more would probably be appreciated by a fair number of beginners (particularly the common hitchhikers sticky).

I know it’s a lot - sorry. Hopefully this is helpful despite its length!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to use my phone for work bidding automobiles and then managing the ones I buy. Not to mention FB and other bs. A little app pops up every Sunday morning showing my amount of phone time. Its horrific.

I did just build a new gamming PC last week. I like it much better.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use my phone for work bidding automobiles and then managing the ones I buy. Not to mention FB and other bs. A little app pops up every Sunday morning showing my amount of phone time. Its horrific.

I did just build a new gamming PC last week. I like it much better.
I use my desktop 80% and phone the other 20. If I’m at home, I’m deff not browsing on a phone :dizzy-face:

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A place to access .pub files or downloaded pdfs would be cool. I have 2 different subscriptions of Amazonas and TFK but a lot of information deeper in the hobby comes from papers and lengthy content. Would be nice to have a spot to consolidate these.

The other thing I'd request is clear app permission reasoning. I'd like to be able to feel comfortable installing this on my device. We're asking this app to do a lot so I'm definitely open minded.

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know i'm coming to this thread late, but i think the things i'd love to see most would be a reminders feature, so it could ping you whenever you set it to to remind you of certain bits of tank maintinence, and also i think it would be great to have a large section about tutorials and care guides. i think a section about that could first off help with new reefers, if someone asks for help figuring something out you could just direct them to the app. and care guides could be really useful in their own dedicated section so that if you see something at a LFS you can look it up and get a briefing on it. that could increase the amount of impulse buys but i also kinda think that it might help people not impulse buy things that are way out of their skillset

BioReefer ^_^

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I remember using the old app before it was retired and I loved the way that the buy/sell forums worked on it and you could get “push notifications” to your phone if someone responded to an inquiry you had. I believe this is a “must” for the new app.

Not sure if any of the developers here are familiar with ‘EBay Small Ads’ but they have such an app in Europe and it works fantastic. Users can snap a photo of what they want to sell, write a brief description with a price and then post it all from their phone in a matter of minutes. It also has a lot of the push notification options, so when someone responds to your sell ad, you know and vice-versa.

In short, please include “push notifications” for the buy/sell forums, thanks!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure I am in the minority here...but I am not really that excited for the app. Dont get me wrong, I am sure it is great..but more even more addictive things on my phone just makes we long for the days of the old ma bell rotary phones. I spent way too much time on R2R for the first 6 months I was on it and have now finally gotten my R2R time down to what is more casual grade addiction as opposed to obsessive compulsive, crack attic grade when i first joined. As such, regardless of how great it is...i will not be using it.

dog tick GIF

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this thread. Hope you maintain a usable website. I am not going to install an app. No reason for this content to require one.

I prefer the same experience across my computer, laptop, or phone. Modern web page styling was designed for this purpose...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing will change as to how you use R2R right now via mobile device, computer or whatever. The app will be an option for those that want it. :) No way we would do anything to what we have already.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through all of the feature requests and haven't read any that aren't easily accomplished with a web site using backend or front end programming languages.

What are some of the benefits the app will offer over a web page? I'm confused

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back