R2R Member Auctions In the Classifieds Idea Thread

Would you like the option to auction off your corals and equipment?

• YES

Votes: 252 56.3%
  • NO

Votes: 82 18.3%
  • Maybe Depending

Votes: 113 25.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're working with a dev to possibly add the ability for auctions within the classifieds. So you would be able to list live good items as auctions if you choose to do so.

BUT if we're going to do this we need ideas on what you would like to see when it comes to auctions. Options, ideas, etc..

If we don't get ideas we're going to assume it's not anything you want and it will be dead in the water.
bigstock-Bidding-Process-Auction-Paddl-401821193.jpg
I can’t help seeing this a huge business mistake.
Aside from the need for customer grievance management, state sales tax management, seller’s account information management, transaction fee processing, creating a shipping label processing portal, predatory purchasing by those focused on exploiting seller ‘rating’ scores, it will take sales away from your dedicated vendors who’ve helped build your brand at a time when the economy is becoming more unpredictable and volatile by the day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure. I post an item for people to bid on, say Monday at 10 a.m. Presumptively the auction ends Thursday at 10 a.m. Now suppose Thursday at 9:45 a.m. there is a new higher bid placed. It pushes the auction ‘closing time’ to 12:45 that same day. But theoretically the window to bid can keep getting bumped back by three-hours at a time until all people have entered a bid. Kind of like a last-flurry of activity. (Or it could finally close after one-hour, or after two-hours without a bid— whatever you decide.)
I would have a flat deadline (i.e. the auction ends at xx:xx on xx/xx/xx. with no extensions). Like Ebay.

I would consider (and assume the developer does) - have some mechanism to notify the bidder if they have been 'out bid', that their bid is accepted, etc.

Would consider making every coral a WYSIWYG - as compared to someone taking a picture of 1 frag out of 20 then posting the same picture.

Would consider criteria before someone can put up an item for auction (or some kind of verification) - to avoid scams. Same for bidders.

Are you going to have a buy-it-now option - like Ebay? or a 'Make an offer'? option.

Sorry - but you wanted ideas:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My mindset is to make it fair for everyone, buyers and sellers alike. What if you put up a 5 head Indo torch.. you base the auction at $1000.00. Would you want to see bids roll in at 5 cents each? What if you are a serious buyer and your last bid was say $2500.00 and at the very last second, someone bids $2500.02 and wins.

See where I am going here?
Usually - the minimum bid is a percentage of the current price - and thats built into the program.

Thought though of something else - which would solve this problem. Put in the maximum price you're willing to spend. Then the price automatically goes up by the bid increment until the auction ends or you're overbid. Shill bidding has to be watched for, of course.

Another thought will there be an option for 'private bidding'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t help seeing this a huge business mistake.
Aside from the need for customer grievance management, state sales tax management, seller’s account information management, transaction fee processing, creating a shipping label processing portal, predatory purchasing by those focused on exploiting seller ‘rating’ scores, it will take sales away from your dedicated vendors who’ve helped build your brand at a time when the economy is becoming more unpredictable and volatile by the day.
IMHO - you wouldn't need many of these things for a small site like this. It could be run in a manner similar to the marketplace. R2R could just act as the 'conduit'. I.e. people using the system are responsible for managing their own shipping, sales tax, etc. There is already a marketplace for used goods - so I don't see it as taking away from 'dedicated vendors' - who would also be allowed to be 'sellers'.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the benefit of the seller, have you auction site offer a minimum “floor price”. For example,,,,,let’s say that I want to sell an item where the minimum I’d be willing to sell the item for is $50.00 but the highest bid only comes-in at $40.00. In this case the seller would retain the right to “pull” the item out of the auction.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While a good idea, we must consider risks and challenges,

Risks:
Shipping and on-time delivery
Shipping costs (always seem higher than quoted online)
Proper packing

Challenges:
Dead livestock
refund policy
DOA policy
Size is not what buyer expected

Once turned over to shipper, they become in essence responsible party. So package arrives a day later, we blame seller and shipper and then problems begin

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back