Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Spotlight' started by mdbannister, Mar 1, 2017.

R2R Reef of the Month Spotlight: Broadfield - March 2017

I first want to introduce myself. My name is Toby Broadfield and I am from Normal, Illinois. My overall goal for this setup was to be ultra...
  1. kattz

kattz Old surfer dude... R2R Supporter

As an engineer as well as an aquarium enthusiast, I must say that your tank tops all but one in my history of membership both here and at the "place that reefs centrally". Beautifully done, perfect finish, and the aquascape/livestock selection is most excellent. Very balanced presentation.

You get a 9.9 from the East German judge...:p

Well done!

Kev

revhtree and Broadfield like this.

2. porterreef

porterreef Active Member

I can't stop drooling, and I hope one day to have a tank like that in my place!

Broadfield likes this.
  3. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Hahaha, well that means a lot Kev! I appreciate you taking the time to read the article and properly judge it. I appreciate you not giving me a 10.0... I now have something to work for lol.

revhtree likes this.
  4. talh

talh Active Member R2R Supporter

@Broadfield Awesome job. I live just up I-39 from you in little old Minonk, Illinois. I started my small 40 gallon FOWLR setup about 18 months ago and have struggled quite a bit trying to convert to a reef tank which is why I've joined this forum. This inspires me to really start to learn and get it done.

Broadfield likes this.
  5. Bob E

Bob E Active Member Partner Member 2019

This is one of the nicest tanks from top to bottom, inside and out. I don’t remember who quoted this - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.

Broadfield fits this quote perfectly. Well done trying to achieve greatness

Broadfield likes this.
  6. jwshiver

jwshiver Active Member R2R Supporter

Impressive!!!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Job well done sir.

Broadfield likes this.
  7. burtbollinger

burtbollinger Active Member

my favorite tank and the one that inspired me to hop back into the hobby and get a Red Sea Reefer.

GoVols, revhtree and Broadfield like this.
  8. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Sweet, maybe we can hook up some time!?! If you are ever in B/N, I would be more than happy to let you check out the setup.

Thank you!... I like that quote.

Thanks!

I'm honored that you think that highly of it... thanks!

revhtree likes this.
  9. acharpenter

acharpenter Member

I found this build after R2R posted a congrats link on FB - first thing I thought of when I saw the pics was one of our home club reefers here in MN.

Imagine my delight when you gave him some accolades : )

http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?53891-Chris-Elos-160

Beautiful tank sir - well done and this award is well deserved!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

revhtree likes this.
  10. Anotherplanet

Anotherplanet Member

Amazing! How did you get that iPad display setup?

What program is it running, what is it connected to, etc?

I'm new to the Apex world and I'm using the newest model with Fusion as my iOS application and would love a stationary display like yours.

11. Y2KReef

Y2KReef Active Member

Who took the photos??? Best I've ever seen!!! I'd like to share but won't till I know who to give credit too!!

12. Y2KReef

Y2KReef Active Member

Oh, and your tank is amazing!!!

13. Broadfield

Well thank you! Chris's tank is still my all time favorite. I hope one day mine will look as nice as his. He's also a better photographer than me... I have some work to do lol.

It's actually very simple. Just use the "AquaController Apex" app. Once you are connected, click on the little heartbeat looking icon in the upper right corner of the app... done! FWIW, I use Fusion for everything else.

I took the photos myself (Toby Broadfield).... thanks!

14. GoVols

GoVols Cobb / Webb - 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Toby,
    Congrats on your spotlight. It is well deserved and your "reefer" is one of a kind. (Star Wars but in the most classiest way)
    Your for-site and craftsmanship is second to none and I was so exited when you pulled the trigger on the spectra.
    I know you will continue to impress us in the future with more builds and I can't imagine where you go from here but I know it will be exciting to watch your mind and craftsmanship come together again.

Regards, Freddie

15. Broadfield

Thanks Freddie, it really means a lot coming from you!

GoVols likes this.
  16. dontlookatme

dontlookatme New Member

Beautiful tank. Makes me consider getting a Red Sea tank. Did you have the sump custom made? What are the dimensions?

Broadfield and GoVols like this.
  17. Broadfield

Thank you very much! The sump is not custom per say. It's simply a standard @Elite-Aquatics RS-33 layout, but flipped left-to-right. I did have Tyler at Elite bring in some orange acrylic to go with my theme. Then I modified the top plate of the sump so the two Red Sea drains would fit correctly.

Elite-Aquatics likes this.
  18. locito277

locito277 Valuable Member

Well deserved

19. oO_PR_Destination_Oo

oO_PR_Destination_Oo Member

Shout Out to Toby! Awesome build with forward innovative design. Thanks for your help and feedback.
    Check out his classic seamless gauges on his website for you auto enthusiasts looking to take your auto builds to another level.

http://www.broadfieldcustoms.com/

Broadfield likes this.
  20. sekunda2003

sekunda2003 Member

This is an inspiration in so many ways... what an amazing tank/project! I'm planning a 93 cube and this will make me rethink some of my planning now...

Just awesome. ;Spiderman

Broadfield likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted