R2R Reef of the Month Spotlight: Broadfield - March 2017

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an engineer as well as an aquarium enthusiast, I must say that your tank tops all but one in my history of membership both here and at the "place that reefs centrally". Beautifully done, perfect finish, and the aquascape/livestock selection is most excellent. Very balanced presentation.

You get a 9.9 from the East German judge...:p

Well done!

Kev

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an engineer as well as an aquarium enthusiast, I must say that your tank tops all but one in my history of membership both here and at the "place that reefs centrally". Beautifully done, perfect finish, and the aquascape/livestock selection is most excellent. Very balanced presentation.

You get a 9.9 from the East German judge...:p

Well done!

Kev

Hahaha, well that means a lot Kev! I appreciate you taking the time to read the article and properly judge it. I appreciate you not giving me a 10.0... I now have something to work for lol.

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield Awesome job. I live just up I-39 from you in little old Minonk, Illinois. I started my small 40 gallon FOWLR setup about 18 months ago and have struggled quite a bit trying to convert to a reef tank which is why I've joined this forum. This inspires me to really start to learn and get it done.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the nicest tanks from top to bottom, inside and out. I don’t remember who quoted this - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.

Broadfield fits this quote perfectly. Well done trying to achieve greatness

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield Awesome job. I live just up I-39 from you in little old Minonk, Illinois. I started my small 40 gallon FOWLR setup about 18 months ago and have struggled quite a bit trying to convert to a reef tank which is why I've joined this forum. This inspires me to really start to learn and get it done.

Sweet, maybe we can hook up some time!?! If you are ever in B/N, I would be more than happy to let you check out the setup.

This is one of the nicest tanks from top to bottom, inside and out. I don’t remember who quoted this - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.

Broadfield fits this quote perfectly. Well done trying to achieve greatness

Thank you!... I like that quote.

Impressive!!!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Job well done sir.

Thanks!

my favorite tank and the one that inspired me to hop back into the hobby and get a Red Sea Reefer.

I'm honored that you think that highly of it... thanks!

acharpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this build after R2R posted a congrats link on FB - first thing I thought of when I saw the pics was one of our home club reefers here in MN.

Imagine my delight when you gave him some accolades : )

http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?53891-Chris-Elos-160

Beautiful tank sir - well done and this award is well deserved!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Anotherplanet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! How did you get that iPad display setup?

What program is it running, what is it connected to, etc?

I'm new to the Apex world and I'm using the newest model with Fusion as my iOS application and would love a stationary display like yours.

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who took the photos??? Best I've ever seen!!! I'd like to share but won't till I know who to give credit too!!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this build after R2R posted a congrats link on FB - first thing I thought of when I saw the pics was one of our home club reefers here in MN.

Imagine my delight when you gave him some accolades : )

http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?53891-Chris-Elos-160

Beautiful tank sir - well done and this award is well deserved!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Well thank you! Chris's tank is still my all time favorite. I hope one day mine will look as nice as his. He's also a better photographer than me... I have some work to do lol.

Amazing! How did you get that iPad display setup?

What program is it running, what is it connected to, etc?

I'm new to the Apex world and I'm using the newest model with Fusion as my iOS application and would love a stationary display like yours.

It's actually very simple. Just use the "AquaController Apex" app. Once you are connected, click on the little heartbeat looking icon in the upper right corner of the app... done! FWIW, I use Fusion for everything else.

Who took the photos??? Best I've ever seen!!! I'd like to share but won't till I know who to give credit too!!

I took the photos myself (Toby Broadfield).... thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby,
Congrats on your spotlight. It is well deserved and your "reefer" is one of a kind. (Star Wars but in the most classiest way)
Your for-site and craftsmanship is second to none and I was so exited when you pulled the trigger on the spectra.
I know you will continue to impress us in the future with more builds and I can't imagine where you go from here but I know it will be exciting to watch your mind and craftsmanship come together again.

Regards, Freddie

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby,
Congrats on your spotlight. It is well deserved and your "reefer" is one of a kind. (Star Wars but in the most classiest way)
Your for-site and craftsmanship is second to none and I was so exited when you pulled the trigger on the spectra.
I know you will continue to impress us in the future with more builds and I can't imagine where you go from here but I know it will be exciting to watch your mind and craftsmanship come together again.

Regards, Freddie

Thanks Freddie, it really means a lot coming from you!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Makes me consider getting a Red Sea tank. Did you have the sump custom made? What are the dimensions?

Thank you very much! The sump is not custom per say. It's simply a standard @Elite-Aquatics RS-33 layout, but flipped left-to-right. I did have Tyler at Elite bring in some orange acrylic to go with my theme. Then I modified the top plate of the sump so the two Red Sea drains would fit correctly.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an inspiration in so many ways... what an amazing tank/project! I'm planning a 93 cube and this will make me rethink some of my planning now...

Just awesome. ;Spiderman

Back