Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
title.jpg

R2R Username: @SteveM10

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/410-gal-sps-tank-build-in-sw-florida.125299/

_SGM0443.jpg

_SGM0444.jpg

Introduction:

First, a big thank you to Reef2Reef for selecting my tank to be a tank of the month. It’s quite an honor to be included with some of the fantastic tanks that have been featured here.

My current system is a 410-gallon reef tank featuring mostly SPS corals. I designed the tank room when we built our current home. I wanted the tank to be the main feature when you walked in our front door so the side of the tank can be seen as soon as you enter the house. The tank is three feet wide by eight feet long. It’s always fun to see people’s reactions when they walk in. I have had several delivery guys ask if they could come in and check out the tank.

_SGM0163.jpg

System Profile:
  • Display tank: 410 gallons
    Glass or Acrylic: ¾” glass with Starfire glass on the front and side. Tank was built by Coast to Coast Aquariums
  • Stand: Handmade wood stand
  • Sump: 200-gallon acrylic
  • Protein skimmer: Skimz cone skimmer (currently not running it due to the addition of a PaxBellum algae reactor)
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: none
  • Return pump: 2 Blue Line 70 HD pumps
  • Water circulation: 1 MP60 and 4 MP40s
  • Lighting (display): 8 Gen one Radions, 6 36” T-5 lights
  • Lighting (refugium): 1 high intensity bulb
  • Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing: I use a dual chamber Super Reef Octopus calcium reactor
  • Auto top-off: Neptune ATK
  • Heating/cooling: 5 large Eheim heaters, 1 HP chiller
  • System control: Neptune Apex
  • Any other details: I recently added a PaxBellum algae reactor that grows Chaeto like crazy.
_SGM0247.jpg

_SGM0250.jpg

_SGM0252.jpg

_SGM0257.jpg

_SGM0259.jpg

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:

With all the SPS in the tank I like to make sure the water is moving well in the tank and there are few dead spots. I have 4 mp40s across the back of the tank and 1 mp60 on the end. Those along with the 2 return pumps creates quite a bit of water movement. I occasionally move the return nozzles to adjust for dead spots.

_SGM0483.jpg

Water Parameters:
  • Temp: 79.3
  • pH: 8.05-8.20
  • Specific gravity: 34.8-35 PPT
  • NO3: 0
  • Ca: 455-500
  • Alk: 9.5
  • Mg: 1450
  • PO4: 0
  • Ammonia and nitrites: 0
_SGM0468.jpg

Photoperiod:
  • Display tank: 0830-2030 slowly ramps up and then down.
  • Refugium: Reverse cycle from the tank.
_SGM0543.jpg

_SGM0548.jpg

Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:

I try to keep thing stable. I use an Apex to run and track everything about the tank. I rarely check my water parameters anymore but I do keep an eye on my Alkalinity and Calcium. I do water changes once a week changing out 40 gallons of water and I clean the glass twice a week.

_SGM0611.jpg

_SGM0612.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
  1. Desjardini Sailfin Tang
  2. Yellow Tang (5)
  3. Purple Tang
  4. Yellow Belly Hippo Tang
  5. Bristletooth Tang
  6. Blonde Naso Tang
  7. Hovens Wrasse
  8. Mystery Wrasse
  9. Midas Blenny
  10. Watchman Goby
  11. Green Mandarin
  12. Lyretail Anthais (4) 1 male 3 females
  13. Magnificent Foxface
  14. Picasso Clownfish (2)
TankPics-47.jpg

_SGM0136.jpg

TankPics-44.jpg

_SGM0446.jpg

_SGM0495.jpg

_SGM0619.jpg

Other Invertebrates:
  1. Rose Bubbletip anemone
  2. Crocea Clam
  3. Variety of snails (not enough)
  4. Serpent Sea Stars (3)
_SGM0103.jpg

_SGM0592.jpg

Tank Inhabitants— Corals:

Way to many different SPS corals to list. I was never very good at keeping track of the names and types. But here are some pics :):

_SGM0124.jpg

_SGM0128.jpg

_SGM0135.jpg

_SGM0101.jpg

_SGM0115.jpg

_SGM0119.jpg

_SGM0140.jpg

_SGM0450.jpg

_SGM0458.jpg

_SGM0528.jpg

_SGM0529.jpg

_SGM0534.jpg

_SGM0538.jpg

_SGM0605.jpg

_SGM0557.jpg

_SGM0560.jpg

_SGM0573.jpg

_SGM0581.jpg

_SGM0596.jpg

_SGM0599.jpg

_SGM0601.jpg

Fish and Coral Feeding:

I never feed the corals. Fish get fed once a day. Mostly a variety of Ocean Nutrition. Twice a week I try and feed a variety of frozen meaty foods.

_SGM0149.jpg

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?

My wife. One day we were chatting and I mentioned that I would really like to have a saltwater tank. Later that year for my birthday she said let’s go find you a fish tank. I ended up getting a 110-gallon tank that started out as a FOWLR system. I had no idea what I was in for.

I started researching saltwater tanks and found a local reef club and joined up. I met several awesome people that were more than happy to help me out. Pretty soon I started upgrading my equipment and got into soft corals. Naturally that led me into hard corals and upgrading more equipment. Pretty soon I had the bug, and I’ve been reefing ever since.

_SGM0617.jpg

ReefTankNov17-4.jpg

How long have you been doing this?

13 Years
Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?

There have been several people I met thru the reef club I belonged to in the DC area that were awesome and really inspired me to make my tanks better and better. I have also been fortunate enough to meet some of the truly greats in the hobby to include Tony Vargas who has been to my house.

_SGM0608.jpg

What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tank?

I want to add more fish. I really love Angels and want to add some to the tank. I had to pull out the original ones I had due to being coral nippers. Now that the tank has grown up I’d really like to add some back in. I also really like clams and want to add more so at some point I need to decide what I want more, the Angels or the clams. I may just stick with a couple of dwarf angels and leave it at that. I will probably also add another 5 or 6 Lyretail Anthias.

I do not have a lot of room left for SPS corals so I may starting adding some LPS. There are several varieties that I like and I like seeing some movement in the tank and LPS add to that look.

At some point I will probably have to change out my Gen 1 Radions. With as much as they cost I’m hoping I don’t have to do it anytime soon. Other than that I don’t think I need to add or change out any equipment.

_SGM0513.jpg

Final Thoughts:

A couple of final thoughts. First, do not skimp on equipment and do not buy cheap. I have found out the hard way at times that you get what you pay for in this hobby. Spend as much as you can afford and if that’s not enough save until you can. This hobby is not cheap and it is hard on equipment. Please do not buy something because it is cheap.

Second, redundancy. Have backups for everything. I use two return pumps just in case one stops working and I keep a brand new one in my garage in case I need it. I have a generator that runs my entire tank room in case the power goes out. I live in Florida and for the last hurricane we had we lost power for 15 hours. I never had a problem. I have a chiller that is programmed to come on should the temp in the tank gets to high. It never runs unless the power goes out or the A/C system I have in the tank room goes out. I have several heaters, not because I use that many but just in case one or two quit working the others will maintain the temp. I could keep going but you get the point.

Having a reef tank is a big investment. I am not very technical when it comes to my tank and if I can be successful anyone can. I keep things simple and I try to automate as much as I can. I do weekly maintenance like water changes and cleaning the skimmer every Sunday. I believe there is a responsibility to the inhabitants to keep things as stable as possible and allow them to thrive and I try my best to that.

I hope that everyone that sees this enjoys the pics and likes it as much as I do. If anyone is in the Tampa area feel free to hit me up and stop by to check it out in person.

_SGM0615.jpg

_SGM0138.jpg

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely stunning, from the beautiful open aquascaping to those gorgeous mature colonies!

Some Genicanthus angels might help feed that craving while minimizing the risk to your LPS and clam . . . but if you never add another fish, I wouldn't blame you!

~Bruce

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank @SteveM10 ! And congratulations on the award,

I’m going to read and enjoy your write up again and the stunning photography.

And how did i miss the build thread!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and photos. Would it be possible for you to take a pic from the doorway? I'd love to see how it looks when you walk in. I guess if someone didn't know it was an 8 foot tank they'd assume they are looking at the long side when they walk in?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! I used to live in the Tampa area, and get beck to visit friends every now and then. Maybe next time i can stop by and see this piece of art in person!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one amazing reef tank!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back