R2R Sale forums going downhill since recent classified changes

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. Would love to have you make a list of what you don't like and why you don't like it!

Overall I like what you are trying to do here. The integrated feedback score is great (though I have not taken time to figure out how to use it). I like the categories (though a "system teardown" or similar category would be nice).

My List of what I dont like so far after minimal use as a buyer/browser only:
#1) It is different. Only half joking here I mean change is necessary if you ever want to improve, but it is hard on the users. I develop web software for a living so understand your pain in trying to get users to accept change.

#2) The multiple threads for a single ad. For me this is the most confusing part. Maybe I am just not smart enough, but I hate it.

#2) Map interface is pretty neat. Does not seem to work well. Sometimes I can drill down on the numbers to see the individual ads. Other times it just drills to a blank map.

#3) When using mobile phone and viewing an ad the map often does not show up at all. Seems intermittent. Would be nice to display location data at top of the ad so even if the map does not show up I can still easily see the location. As an added bonus it would be real nice if zip code was required in my opinion. When I see a pickup ad and the location is "California" it just seems to be wasting my time.

#4) I preferred the older traditional forum style where I just went and saw a long list of threads with last update time, etc and just seemed easier for me to browse the ads and know what I have looked at or not. Maybe I am not using it right, but dont like to just see the photo ad with no details (last posted, # comments, etc).

#5) Not a big fan of the auction idea personally, but if it is kept separate and easy to ignore then it wont hurt me. If there was an auction section for sponsors I may be interested. Unless there were a lot of limitations on it I think it is just inviting more chop-shop "hobbyists" to abuse the classifieds, but with too many limitation it would seem to make it useless.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I like what you are trying to do here. The integrated feedback score is great (though I have not taken time to figure out how to use it). I like the categories (though a "system teardown" or similar category would be nice).

My List of what I dont like so far after minimal use as a buyer/browser only:
#1) It is different. Only half joking here I mean change is necessary if you ever want to improve, but it is hard on the users. I develop web software for a living so understand your pain in trying to get users to accept change.

#2) The multiple threads for a single ad. For me this is the most confusing part. Maybe I am just not smart enough, but I hate it.

#2) Map interface is pretty neat. Does not seem to work well. Sometimes I can drill down on the numbers to see the individual ads. Other times it just drills to a blank map.

#3) When using mobile phone and viewing an ad the map often does not show up at all. Seems intermittent. Would be nice to display location data at top of the ad so even if the map does not show up I can still easily see the location. As an added bonus it would be real nice if zip code was required in my opinion. When I see a pickup ad and the location is "California" it just seems to be wasting my time.

#4) I preferred the older traditional forum style where I just went and saw a long list of threads with last update time, etc and just seemed easier for me to browse the ads and know what I have looked at or not. Maybe I am not using it right, but dont like to just see the photo ad with no details (last posted, # comments, etc).

#5) Not a big fan of the auction idea personally, but if it is kept separate and easy to ignore then it wont hurt me. If there was an auction section for sponsors I may be interested. Unless there were a lot of limitations on it I think it is just inviting more chop-shop "hobbyists" to abuse the classifieds, but with too many limitation it would seem to make it useless.
Great feedback. On your point 4 this could be easily accomplished with a binary switch for list view vs gallery view. Most grid controls do this out of the box with very little investment.

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooo please do not turn into my "local club" can't sell anything on there unless you are a paid member. I have a 120 gallon SPS reef with 30 different acros... I frag 4-5 a week because I have to and tired to sell them on my local forum... They called me a "vendor" and demanded I pay for a vendor membership. Please do not turn this forum into that same environment. A paid vendor or sponsor get the banners, and special placement of their names with ads. That's what should be the difference between a "paid" vendor and just a hobbiest that is fragging their display tank or one who have a few grow out tanks, it's still a hobby for them. If they create a following good for them, means they have quality corals and a good price. If they want a banner or advertising then they need to pay up.
Could it be that your local reef club is in financial trouble and needs the money? I know that my local club is struggling. Struggling to find members, struggling to find officers, considering liquidation. I can guarantee that these decisions are not because they want to hurt their members, but rather that they are struggling to stay relevant and alive.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys PLEASE give us some time on this. I promise you this! If the new classifieds END UP sucking then I will be happy to disable it for the old way. But we need more time.

We're constantly updating and adding more things. Changing things around, making things better. (just updated today and added some new things) But we need time. I'm not Zukerberg and this is not Facebook so I am hearing you and I sincerely want to make everyone of you happy. I can't do that 100% but I'm going to try to win as many of you over as I can. And again if we can't make it awesome then I'll pull the plug on it.

That being said what we need is constructive criticism with ideas on how we can make the classifieds better. Not just moaning and empty complaints. Tell me WHY something doesn't work for you and any idea you have to make it work. The vision for the classifieds is something that puts a ton of tools in your hands and a place that draws a ton of people to buy, sell and trade.

Thank you.
Filtering by state is a decent option, but searching by radius would be fantastic. For example, I'm about 2 hours from NYC, but most NY listings are from there and closer to me than many PA and NJ listings.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nooo please do not turn into my "local club" can't sell anything on there unless you are a paid member. I have a 120 gallon SPS reef with 30 different acros... I frag 4-5 a week because I have to and tired to sell them on my local forum... They called me a "vendor" and demanded I pay for a vendor membership. Please do not turn this forum into that same environment. A paid vendor or sponsor get the banners, and special placement of their names with ads. That's what should be the difference between a "paid" vendor and just a hobbiest that is fragging their display tank or one who have a few grow out tanks, it's still a hobby for them. If they create a following good for them, means they have quality corals and a good price. If they want a banner or advertising then they need to pay up.
I'm curious - what is the difference between a 'vendor' and a 'seller'. In reality (IMHO), there is no difference. Hopefully, everyone who is 'fragging and wanting to sell' 4-5x/week - is making sure that they are providing that information to the tax people. (i.e. 'hobby income' vs 'business income'.

I'm not Zukerberg and this is not Facebook
At this moment you - can be glad for that:). PS - Re: Auctions - there are a number of stumbling blocks potentially - 1) the risk of 'shill bidding', 2) the taxation paperwork for R2R (sending out 1099's to people who sell a certain amount per year) - as Ebay has recently been required to do. I have no clue whether this is the case or not but - something to consider.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - what is the difference between a 'vendor' and a 'seller'. In reality (IMHO), there is no difference. Hopefully, everyone who is 'fragging and wanting to sell' 4-5x/week - is making sure that they are providing that information to the tax people. (i.e. 'hobby income' vs 'business income'.

At this moment you - can be glad for that:). PS - Re: Auctions - there are a number of stumbling blocks potentially - 1) the risk of 'shill bidding', 2) the taxation paperwork for R2R (sending out 1099's to people who sell a certain amount per year) - as Ebay has recently been required to do. I have no clue whether this is the case or not but - something to consider.
A vendor in my opinion is someone who pays for banners, advertising on a forum, reports to the irs, and all the perks that the vendor membership gets you on this forum. If somebody has display tanks in their house with corals that are growing and they're cutting those corals and selling those corals I don't see that to be a vendor, and they should be allowed to sell those corals without limitations.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A vendor in my opinion is someone who pays for banners, advertising on a forum, reports to the irs, and all the perks that the vendor membership gets you on this forum. If somebody has display tanks in their house with corals that are growing and they're cutting those corals and selling those corals I don't see that to be a vendor, and they should be allowed to sell those corals without limitations.

We walk a very fine line between "Vendor" and "hobbyist" in this "hobby" . Even as a "hobbyist", there are cases where you SHOULD report to the IRS regardless if you do not consider yourself a vendor. Once I started selling corals (even if it's just a few dollars), I file it as hobby income. If there is ever a question, I would just talk to a tax professional. Fortunately, I just had off all the numbers to my tax guru.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO just curious - so then a - hobbyist who sells as many corals as a 'vendor' (if there were no rules) - could just sell as many as they want. By the way - anyone selling corals whether a 'vendor' or a 'person in their house' needs to report income to the IRS. Its called 'hobby income'. We just sold a litter of puppies, we had to both have the buyers pay state sales tax - plus we need to report the sales to the IRS and the state.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO just curious - so then a - hobbyist who sells as many corals as a 'vendor' (if there were no rules) - could just sell as many as they want. By the way - anyone selling corals whether a 'vendor' or a 'person in their house' needs to report income to the IRS. Its called 'hobby income'. We just sold a litter of puppies, we had to both have the buyers pay state sales tax - plus we need to report the sales to the IRS and the state.
Imo yes, if you want the advertising, publicity, thread placement, your own dedicated thread, banner then you have to pay for the sponsorship.

However with that being said, if this hobbyist has 20 meat corals 50 scoles a tankful of torches at that point I think it's known that they're importing and not growing the stuff out. At that point I would consider them a vendor.

And as far as the whole IRS thing well that's up to that particular person and what they want to do. I can guarantee you that most people are not claiming it unless you have a brick and mortar or doing a ton of business and income but a few frags a week not being reported.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s start with the very basics. When you open the listing, IMO, it should default to the Overview tab, not the Discussion tab. I want to see what the item(s) listed are all about, their cost etc. Then, if I’m interested, I’ll go to the Discussions tab.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back