R2R Sale forums going downhill since recent classified changes

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally it is not my concern whether the money they get goes into their pocket or goes to improvements or giveaways. I am concerned only from the perspective that if the new style turns enough people away then the site becomes less useful to me and I visit ot less.

Its up to the owners of this for-profit business to determine the balance between obtaining/retaining users and forcing high volume hobbyist sellers to find a different venue or become a sponsor.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally it is not my concern whether the money they get goes into their pocket or goes to improvements or giveaways. I am concerned only from the perspective that if the new style turns enough people away then the site becomes less useful to me and I visit ot less.

Its up to the owners of this for-profit business to determine the balance between obtaining/retaining users and forcing high volume hobbyist sellers to find a different venue or become a sponsor.
It will become self-evident whether the system should be changed or not.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys PLEASE give us some time on this. I promise you this! If the new classifieds END UP sucking then I will be happy to disable it for the old way. But we need more time.

We're constantly updating and adding more things. Changing things around, making things better. (just updated today and added some new things) But we need time. I'm not Zukerberg and this is not Facebook so I am hearing you and I sincerely want to make everyone of you happy. I can't do that 100% but I'm going to try to win as many of you over as I can. And again if we can't make it awesome then I'll pull the plug on it.

That being said what we need is constructive criticism with ideas on how we can make the classifieds better. Not just moaning and empty complaints. Tell me WHY something doesn't work for you and any idea you have to make it work. The vision for the classifieds is something that puts a ton of tools in your hands and a place that draws a ton of people to buy, sell and trade.

Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not a fan of new forum myself and new limitations but I also understand the change in in alignment with upgrading of entire site

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im not a fan of new forum myself and new limitations but I also understand the change in in alignment with upgrading of entire site

I understand. Would love to have you make a list of what you don't like and why you don't like it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. We're also looking to give you the ability to have auctions!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. We're also looking to give you the ability to have auctions!
Oh I gotta say I hate this idea. Its already bad enough that most of the livestock sell forum is people asking vendor pricing or worse. Add in auctions and its going to be even worse. Might as well just open the floodgates of people wanting to be vendors basically. Expecting $800 for a torch because its a "new release" from a hobbyist...

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It would be nice to have both options, post it as a thread or use the classified add. I like both but would like the option.
having the thread that includes feedback and updates and lots of pictures is fun, i like the fact that you can just add to it and update it as you go.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I gotta say I hate this idea. Its already bad enough that most of the livestock sell forum is people asking vendor pricing or worse. Add in auctions and its going to be even worse. Might as well just open the floodgates of people wanting to be vendors basically. Expecting $800 for a torch because its a "new release" from a hobbyist...

We'll keep that in mind! May be a Sponsor only option.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys PLEASE give us some time on this. I promise you this! If the new classifieds END UP sucking then I will be happy to disable it for the old way. But we need more time.

We're constantly updating and adding more things. Changing things around, making things better. (just updated today and added some new things) But we need time. I'm not Zukerberg and this is not Facebook so I am hearing you and I sincerely want to make everyone of you happy. I can't do that 100% but I'm going to try to win as many of you over as I can. And again if we can't make it awesome then I'll pull the plug on it.

That being said what we need is constructive criticism with ideas on how we can make the classifieds better. Not just moaning and empty complaints. Tell me WHY something doesn't work for you and any idea you have to make it work. The vision for the classifieds is something that puts a ton of tools in your hands and a place that draws a ton of people to buy, sell and trade.

Thank you.
I agree. One of my jobs is designing software and the user experience is the trickiest part. Darn near impossible to make everyone happy especially if all they do is complain about what they don’t like, not comment what they do like and not make suggestions for improvements. Guys, this is our community. Make some constructive critisism for the betterment of our community. I’ll post one in the morning once I have had a chance to go through it thoroughly

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice to have both options, post it as a thread or use the classified add. I like both but would like the option.
having the thread that includes feedback and updates and lots of pictures is fun, i like the fact that you can just add to it and update it as you go.

Today we added the ability to update your AD in the classifieds and it will auto update your thread.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about setting up a forum where you all can start your on threads on what you don't like and we can work through your complaints and ideas. It's hard when it's all jumbled into 10 different threads.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @revhtree for listening to us and giving us your transparency as always. Personally, I think the what I liked most about the old style was the simplicity…you posted a picture, a price and a location and people could comment if they were interested. It seems now that it’s too “busy”; the map seems unnecessary and there’s too many clicks needed to see the discussion. I’d love to hear other people’s opinions. :)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think the core issue is the search bar. It is currently hidden behind a drop down in the upper right hand corner and the quick search items are hidden behind a few clicks. I think this needs to be more 'Amazonesque'. Why not collapse the quick filter that is currently on the left hand side of the screen and put that into a drop down on the filter screen and move the filter to the left hand side?

1633484575230.png

What is currently on the left hand side quickly becomes a drop down filter under 'what are you looking for' especially since it is not a multiselector.

1633484628238.png

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more suggestion, but the key word search right at the top. Having to open the filter submenu, and scroll mid way through the page is too much for us lazy peeps. Needs to be a quick hit and a quick find as that will be the most used option in the filter feature. Make it the most assecible control for the user.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t mind how things are going. I do like the idea of auctions, that may be interesting. The hardest part for me about the classified is that not all posts are in this format, and while looking through them I miss some other posts for sale when I just look there. It does seem a little cluttered but I trust that in time it’ll get better, I’m just gonna go with how it rolls on this one!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooo please do not turn into my "local club" can't sell anything on there unless you are a paid member. I have a 120 gallon SPS reef with 30 different acros... I frag 4-5 a week because I have to and tired to sell them on my local forum... They called me a "vendor" and demanded I pay for a vendor membership. Please do not turn this forum into that same environment. A paid vendor or sponsor get the banners, and special placement of their names with ads. That's what should be the difference between a "paid" vendor and just a hobbiest that is fragging their display tank or one who have a few grow out tanks, it's still a hobby for them. If they create a following good for them, means they have quality corals and a good price. If they want a banner or advertising then they need to pay up.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back