R2R Sale forums going downhill since recent classified changes

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am an active R2R member and supporter for many years. I love this forum and community. One thing I love most is being able to buy, sell and trade with other hobbyists, but with the new classified ad design and rules, it seems there’s fewer threads being posted in the sale forums, and less discussion overall on those threads as a result. Many hobbyists who also sell overgrowth have told me they’ve left the forum in favor of other channels (Instagram, local forums, Facebook) because the new rules are too restrictive and cumbersome. I know it’s a delicate balance and R2R has to manage folks who cross that hobbyist line into commercial territory to protect its sponsors here and I’m confident that’s the impetus behind the changes, but I feel it’s having a more negative intent than planned. I miss the days of scrolling through and seeing lists of overgrowth that members want to sell at hobbyist prices…now they’re limited to 2 “active ads” at a time. And I fear this will result in many choosing other forums to post their sales, which means many of us will be spending less time here if looking at those posts is something we enjoy.

Anyone else feel similar or am I alone on this one?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am an active R2R member and supporter for many years. I love this forum and community. One thing I love most is being able to buy, sell and trade with other hobbyists, but with the new classified ad design and rules, it seems there’s fewer threads being posted in the sale forums, and less discussion overall on those threads as a result. Many hobbyists who also sell overgrowth have told me they’ve left the forum in favor of other channels (Instagram, local forums, Facebook) because the new rules are too restrictive and cumbersome. I know it’s a delicate balance and R2R has to manage folks who cross that hobbyist line into commercial territory to protect its sponsors here and I’m confident that’s the impetus behind the changes, but I feel it’s having a more negative intent than planned. I miss the days of scrolling through and seeing lists of overgrowth that members want to sell at hobbyist prices…now they’re limited to 2 “active ads” at a time. And I fear this will result in many choosing other forums to post their sales, which means many of us will be spending less time here if looking at those posts is something we enjoy.

Anyone else feel similar or am I alone on this one?
Don't you think part of it might be that people are finding it easier to sell locally - for more money - to their LFS? (Or trade)? I mean our local LFS are giving great deals for trade-in's because their costs due to shipping are so high? I admit - I do not know the 'rules' here. But - I also know - I'd rather 'trade' somewhere with 'rules' as compared to Facebook or somewhere like that. Just MHO

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't you think part of it might be that people are finding it easier to sell locally - for more money - to their LFS? (Or trade)? I mean our local LFS are giving great deals for trade-in's because their costs due to shipping are so high? I admit - I do not know the 'rules' here. But - I also know - I'd rather 'trade' somewhere with 'rules' as compared to Facebook or somewhere like that. Just MHO
Maybe but I find it too coincidental that such a shift happens instantly and at the same time as R2R’s classified ad changes :). But I have no doubt many are likely making those pivots now as a result of the changes.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're still working out the kinks in the new classifieds system, and we appreciate the feedback. I do want to point out that members are still allowed to make ads with lists of corals for sale, so that option isn't taken away. Still, feedback like this is helpful to us as we work on it. Thanks!

Last edited:

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still working out the kinks in the new classifieds system, and we appreciate the feedback. I do want to point out that newness are still allowed to make ads with lists of corals for sale, so that option isn't taken away. Still, feedback like this is helpful to us as we work on it. Thanks!
I've seen listing with multiple corals, but they can only post a couple pictures so you can't see it all. Some have used the discussion section to add the pictures in... but then what is the point of the classified?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen listing with multiple corals, but they can only post a couple pictures so you can't see it all. Some have used the discussion section to add the pictures in... but then what is the point of the classified?

We’re going to increase the limit!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't like how you can no longer filter by state. The geographic map is the alternative, but it gets glitchy when you zoom in on a sale if multiple sales are in the same location on the map.

We’re going to fix the map and add a way to filter by location easier.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was easier before the changes. It wasn’t broken. Easier to maneuver and either find or sell.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto phone correct above, should’ve read ‘easier’

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was easier before the changes. It wasn’t broken. Easier to maneuver and either find or sell.

The goal is to make it just as easy and easier PLUS add new tools! We’re working on it. Offer suggestions please.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is to make it just as easy and easier PLUS add new tools! We’re working on it. Offer suggestions please.
Can you tell us what the "goal" is and what issues you are trying to fix? I've been through several software conversions, and they are always tough. However, with each iteration, they get better, and when you know what's at the finish line, it keeps you motivated.

I don't think we have a clear picture of where this is headed. However, if we knew what problems you had with the old system and how you were trying to change them in the new system, it could help. Also, it could get more support as people work towards a common goal.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you tell us what the "goal" is and what issues you are trying to fix? I've been through several software conversions, and they are always tough. However, with each iteration, they get better, and when you know what's at the finish line, it keeps you motivated.

I don't think we have a clear picture of where this is headed. However, if we knew what problems you had with the old system and how you were trying to change them in the new system, it could help. Also, it could get more support as people work towards a common goal.
Agree. I love the sale threads where folks post 20 corals they have available...which many of us have in our overgrowth...with pics, and have discussions on them, feedback on them, etc. With the new approach, it's entirely single deal "transactions" vs communities engaging around members who are selling to each other as hobbyists. I wish we could get a balance between these two solution designs vs classified transactions that disappear once a deal is done

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a seller on EB for years. To list a product there is easy, put in what you’re selling, choose the category, add the description and photos, (up to 10 if I remember right) price and done.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the ‘for considering’ add stuff and more clicking to get to the item, description, price, etc.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been a seller on EB for years. To list a product there is easy, put in what you’re selling, choose the category, add the description and photos, (up to 10 if I remember right) price and done.

And how much do you pay to list each item there?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cost to list unless you choose bold print. Final value fees are another story. I’m not a huge seller there but sometimes the product will sell there, more people searching, when it’s sitting here. I get where Rev is trying to get more people here, with that said keep the listing process clean and easy. Not ‘for the consideration’ of a sale then clicking more, less pics, etc… Why use that anyways…‘for the consideration’?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back