*** R2R Secret Santa 2021 is HERE!! Get registered!! ***

ReefGoddesss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
secret santa.jpg

Ho! Ho! Ho!! Let's get this party started!! It's our 2021 Secret Santa for Reef2Reef!!

Those of you who've joined us before know how much fun this will be, and for those of you joining us for the first time, you're in for a treat! This is going to be a great time to spread Christmas joy!!

I mean lots of us have family and friends who just don't get this crazy hobby of ours, and let's face it, they're probably more likely to get you another pair of socks than that thing you really want for your reef hobby... ;) But this gift exchange will be different because it's FOR REEFERS BY REEFERS! This will be lots of fun for everyone!!

Here is how it will work:
  • Requirements to participate:
    • At least 18 years of age (only exceptions to this will be participants who have been part of our Secret Santa before)
    • At least 14 days as a member of R2R
    • At least 10 posts on R2R
  • Gift requirement: AT LEAST $25 value and a splash of Christmas joy! (more on this below)
  • As you sign up, you'll get a link to the gift exchange on Elfster (it's the Secret Santa exchange website/app that we use to organize the gift exchange) where you'll need to register and create your own wishlist for your Secret Santa.*
  • Secret Santas will be assigned in batches of 75 (so we'll be monitoring this number as you guys sign up). The final matchup will take place on November 21st for those who aren't matched before then.
  • Buy or make gifts and ship them by December 4, 2021.
  • Delivery tracking is mandatory and will need to be sent to @Santa Claus and/or updated in Elfster.
  • International Participation: This year's Secret Santa will have 3 groups for those outside the US: 1) Canadian participants, 2) European participants, and 3) other international participants. While we wish that we had enough international participation to allow all participants to only send to members within their own country, that simply isn't feasible, so please be aware of the possibility that you may need to ship internationally to participate outside the US or Canada.
Here are a few guidelines for this year:
  1. Please, PLEASE, be sure your R2R username is entered on your Elfster profile as your nickname. This really does help your Secret Santa to find you on Reef2Reef and get better gift giving ideas.
  2. This is an event that is meant to spread Christmas joy, so we're asking all participants to try to make this special for whoever you receive. While we realize that this may look different for everyone, we're asking participants to avoid sending $25 e-gift cards as your only gift.
  3. All participants MUST make a post or send a message acknowledging their gift and thanking whoever their Secret Santa is. Most of you do this anyway, so I don't think it's a problem to ask. However, due to some situations we've run into before, we're making this a requirement this year. We'll start a Thank You thread specifically for this and link it here.
  4. About Elfster wishlists: We ask that you be conscious of the fact that the minimum gift amount of $25 should be the "expected" amount for your gift. Therefore, put at least 5 or 6 items that fall into that amount. No Secret Santa should feel obligated to give more than the $25 amount (though you are certainly welcome to give more). More about wishlists is included below.
  5. Your gift MUST be sent by December 4th. Now, we realize things can happen, and we're always willing to work with participants. However, if your gift has not been shipped and confirmation/tracking info sent to Santa by December 11, 2021, you may be banned from participating in future Secret Santa exchanges on Reef2Reef.
  6. Failure to abide by these guidelines may result in not being allowed future participation in Secret Santa gift exchanges. (We're really not expecting to remove anyone, but we do reserve the right to do so if a participant does not engage in the spirit of this gift exchange.)
All R2R Secret Santa participants will receive a special Secret Santa banner under their username.

To sign up, you will need to do these 2 things (PLEASE DO BOTH):
  1. PM @Santa Claus with your contact information (name, email, and country you're located in so that we can PM you the link to sign up on Elfster and join the gift exchange).
  2. Post in this thread with your answers to the questionnaire (see below) IN THIS THREAD (this is our official registration thread).
Secret Santa Questionnaire:
  1. What country are you located in?
  2. What is one thing you always need more of?
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends?
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests?
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work?
  6. Do you collect anything?
  7. What is your favorite color?
  8. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again?
  9. What type of music do you listen to?
  10. Do you follow any sports teams?
  11. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank?
  12. What gets you excited in the reef hobby?
  13. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in?
  14. Are you willing to ship livestock (could be either by sending it yourself or by purchasing from a vendor and having it sent)? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock*
At this time, we are unable to guarantee matching users based on a preference for shipping coral. If shipping coral we ask that you notify @Santa Claus via PM when you would like 2 ship so we can notify recipient and make sure they will be able to receive it. If recipient can't be there we will ask them for 2 other days and work out with sender. (We don't mind playing the go between here to keep it more a secret.)

*A note on creating your Elfster wish list. Our minimum gift amount is $25, and you shouldn't expect more than that to be spent on a gift. HOWEVER, please feel free to throw anything you'd like on that list. I find it's fun for folks to list out even those crazy expensive things they'd like, so put that new 300-gallon custom tank on there! LOL No harm in dreaming! Go wild! Also, as you look at the wish list created by your recipient, don't be alarmed if there are items on there you won't be able to buy them. Please don't feel obligated to spend more than you planned. Remember, it's a "wish list," and there's no harm in their wishing. :) While it's great to be generous, your recipient isn't expecting you to give more than the minimum. From experience, I know that your gift (whatever it may be) will bring joy because of the thought and kindness that goes into it.

Also, notice that we have a special Secret Santa forum going on! Feel free to start other threads in here to talk about everything Secret Santa related, holiday related, or just anything you want to talk with all of us other SS peeps!

#R2RSecretSanta

Secret Santa Questionnaire:
  1. What country are you located in? United States
  2. What is one thing you always need more of? Fun
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends? Travel, Explore, Watch Sports, Visit Fish Store
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests? Sewing, Riding My Motorcycle, Sports, Traveling
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work? Read, Watch TV, Spend Time w/ Family & Friends
  6. Do you collect anything? Star Wars & Harry Potter Items
  7. What is your favorite color? Purple
  8. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again? Office
  9. What type of music do you listen to? R&B
  10. Do you follow any sports teams? Carolina Panthers Football
  11. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank? The Fish
  12. What gets you excited in the reef hobby? The Variety of Species & New Equipment
  13. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? No Thank you
  14. Are you willing to ship livestock Not Really

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure who has mine. To be honest, I'd be ok with no gift at all. I enjoyed sending something from the wish list of the person I was given. For me, it's about giving the gift. I never expect anything in return. In fact, I'm that awkward family member who hates people staring at them to open gifts. I much prefer watching others open what I got them. :cool:

That said, it has been done and proof sent to Santa. I hope everyone gets something that they really wanted/needed!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
  1. What country are you located in? USA
  2. What is one thing you always need more of? CORAL
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends? Water changes
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests? Nothing this hobby takes too much!
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work? I can't, I'm a reefer!
  6. Do you collect anything? Corals and equipment.
  7. What is your favorite color? All
  8. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again? Shamless
  9. What type of music do you listen to? All
  10. Do you follow any sports teams? No
  11. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank? Corals
  12. What gets you excited in the reef hobby? Starting a new tank
  13. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? No, unless it's HG torches then YES
  14. Are you willing to ship livestock (could be either by sending it yourself or by purchasing from a vendor and having it sent)? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock* NO
Hope this wasn't too too too late

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Omg did I miss the deadline to sign up? Been out of state for work ☹️

Sign up and ask them to match you with me. It's no secret, but I'm happy to send you something if you build a list. Mine is already done and I'd hate for you to be left out. @Santa Claus I'm happy to be matched here if you can make it happen. One less delivery for you on the 25th.

Oh and in case you didn't know....I would be your completely not secret Santa. If you're cool with it not being a secret, I'm happy to oblige.

Edit: To be clear, when I say mine is already done I meant my gift has been sent out already. I don't require a gift from you.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm an XL (t-shirt size) and I love basically all forms of chocolate...and cookies with chocolate... I definitely have a soft spot for Reese's. :)

OP
OP
Santa Claus

Santa Claus

View Badges
Reaction score
WooHoo!! All of our participants who had not yet been matched have now received matches!!

(If anyone didn't get matched, I don't have you registered on Elfster for this year's exchange. Shoot me a PM if you don't see your match.)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
  1. What country are you located in?USA
  2. What is one thing you always need more of? Salt
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends?Tinker with the tank
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests?Cigars, music and sports
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work? Watching the fish swim ar
  6. Do you collect anything? Bourbon
  7. What is your favorite color?
  8. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again?Godfather
  9. What type of music do you listen to?Variety
  10. Do you follow any sports teams?
  11. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank?Tang
  12. What gets you excited in the reef hobby?
  13. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? Yes, Zoanthids
  14. Are you willing to ship livestock (could be either by sending it yourself or by purchasing from a vendor and having it sent)? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock*Yes

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone was assigned to me or not, haven't gotten any notification of shipping or questions on Elfster.

Also, I encourage everyone to please add lots of stuff to your Elfster list and your Q/A answers next year. The list I saw was very short and the questions didn't have a lot of detail. I love to give gifts and I didn't have a lot to go off of and wasn't able to be creative. Regardless I sent out my secret santa gift :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back