OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny! I am looking forward to the survey you put together. Too bad patience isn’t as quantifiable as testing. My list, no order at this time:

- Test weekly. Pay attention to the trends. I’ve been using the Aquarimate app. Very nice way to keep track.
- Patience. Just when you are going to make a move browse the topic at R2R. Then wait a few days.
- Always have water ready to go.
- Go to LFS looking for your researched livestock on a written list. If it’s not on the list, no go. LFS is too easy to make spontaneous buys.
- Spend time viewing your tank daily. For me it is relaxing.
- Ignore fish body language telling you they are starving. Lite to very lite feeding, once or twice a day.
- Observe the efficiency of your cleaning crew. Don’t restock with poor cleaners.
We can’t say enough about tank observation. The basis for all scientific research.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say that R2R reefers are the best in the world and don’t let you down! I am inspired to complete this project and will start breaking it down tomorrow. Keep your thoughts coming even If they r similar.
Thanks

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Maintain *Stability*
2. Test Weekly - Know what is going on in the system
3. Have dedicated equipment for the reef tank to prevent introducing unwanted chemicals
4. Keep hands out of tank for personal safety and tank inhabitants safety
5. Patience
6. Slow Changes as needed
7. Research - Equipment and Livestock before buying
8. Keep the system simplified if possible
9. Don't stock too fast - add new inhabitants over time and allow system time to adjust for bioload
10. Less chemical treatment and strive for more Natural approaches to maintaining some system parameters (e.g. macroaglae)

These are not really in any particular priority except the top two. Stability and testing. I am sure there are plenty of other great ideas out there from other experienced reefers. Have fun and take care ;)
I like this list....

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add my thoughts...
1.) Plan. Proper planning involves lots of research. Plan the purpose (FOWLR, MIXED REEF, SPS, ETC.) Plan the tank, plan the equipment, plan the inhabitants, plan the course of action,and plan for adversity (power outages, water issues, tank issues, etc). Continually assess your plan.

2.) Have patience. Let the biology of the tank determine the speed at which you proceed. No 2 tanks are the same. And make sure you follow your plan. If your plan must change, go back and do your research again then proceed.

3.) Buy proper equipment after doing research. Have the end goal in mind, not what will get the job done today, but what will do the job long term. This will save time and more importantly money.

4.) Study your tank. Observe your tank. Be able to look at the tank at any given time quickly assess if its happy and know what to look for if it isn't.

5.) Maintain stability. Dont chase "perfect numbers" Test often when starting out. Maybe multiple times a week. Then test consistently when you have experience. Always test before and after major changes and test more often after major changes.

6.) Take the time to research, setup, and know how to properly use a quarantine tank. This will save you money. Its better to lose one fish than a whole tank full.

7.) Have a contingency plan. Heaters fail,pumps get old,the power goes out, and the DI resin will need replaced when you have an emergency that requires water. Have a back up plan in place.

8.) Unless you are experienced do routine water changes. Have a schedule, stick to the schedule. Its better to do routine water changes than emergency water changes.

9.) Have fun. Remember this is a hobby. You got into it because it intrigued you, it interested you, and it makes you happy. Remember to continually find your passion for it.

10.) Have more patience. Nothing in reefing happens fast. Slow down, breath, research, then act.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like trying to fit a tempest into a Mason Jar!

So much great advice, really! This will not b easy. I will use pure statistical evidence based on the entries.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Research everything
  • Filter your water
  • Be patient, never rush anything
  • Know what you’re buying first before you buy, research livestock requirements and compatibility before buying
  • Maintain stability
  • Keep on top of maintenance activities

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under maintaining stability I would add the necessity for maintaining a balance in the system. The number and size of fish and coral in a system will determine nutrient levels and the possible need for their increase or removal. Maybe feed less, maybe feed more.
If I had to put this is a one sentence rule I would say something like:
Test water with the intent to understand what the balance is for your system and to maintain it.

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine right now would have to be "don't go on a 3 day out of town trip 5 days after adding your 1st batch of fish". It was cold out when I left so I left the small heater on in my office where my new 350 gal tank is. The tank was perfectly clear and 76* when I left. When I returned my tank was a stifling 86 degrees, couldn't see through the glass due to algae and half of the 18 perfectly healthy newbies were floating.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things in our tanks that can cause adverse reactions such as bacteria that can get into a cut,

HI! 4 year marine biologist here. Worked at an aquarium and had my hands in every tank all day.
I want ALL the salt tank bacteria I can get in my cuts. When working there I never had a cut that didnt heal in 4-5 days and I even got bit by a green moray and the doctors told me NOT to stick my hands in tanks for two weeks...
well... that order lasted about three days before my arm was back in tanks... and welll.... see for yourself. This baby healed up pretty great.

I say if youre worried about personal safety, its not that bad. ive been stung by lionfish and longspine urchins and bit by more fish that i can think of. (but you didnt hear that from me-- all aquarists are pristine and never get hurt)
IMG_5156.jpg

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a complicated hobby involving biology. Select a reliable source for information and learn. I depend on BRS for help solving my reefing problems. They also have excellent YouTube videos.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always have backups of critical equipment, power heads, pumps, heaters......they always fail when the lfs is closed.
another of mine would be plan for an extended power outage. It will happen one day and you'll lose your tank.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Always chime in with "following" on topics you no nothing about.
2. Always post blurry pictures of your tank saturated in dark blue light in threads giving no context.
3. Always blame PETCO in any thread about LiveAquaria even if you weren't around before then.
4. No matter how mad you are at Petco, you still buy from LiveAquaria.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Patience

Allocate time weekly to tend to your system

Buy the BEST you Can't afford, thereby buying it once

Use the best salt possible REGARDLESS OF COST

Do NOT buy a cheap test kit and expect Exceptional results- It will be the opposite

Quarantine !!! As inconvenient as it may be- It pays off

Invest in an RO system

Hitch-hikers - If in doubt - " chuck it out !! ". Not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Maintain *Stability*
2. Test Weekly - Know what is going on in the system
3. Have dedicated equipment for the reef tank to prevent introducing unwanted chemicals
4. Keep hands out of tank for personal safety and tank inhabitants safety
5. Patience
6. Slow Changes as needed
7. Research - Equipment and Livestock before buying
8. Keep the system simplified if possible
9. Don't stock too fast - add new inhabitants over time and allow system time to adjust for bioload
10. Less chemical treatment and strive for more Natural approaches to maintaining some system parameters (e.g. macroaglae)

These are not really in any particular priority except the top two. Stability and testing. I am sure there are plenty of other great ideas out there from other experienced reefers. Have fun and take care ;)
This is a really strong list. Great job!

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi every reefer new and not so new! I have compiled the list based on everybody’s super great feed back! If it was mentioned it was noted. I must say that there was much excellent advice. As we all know Reefing is a complex hobby and doing a top ten seems impossible if not unreasonable. I tried to narrow the margins a bit as there are many nuances such as “Stability” and ” Don’t chase numbers”. I also Tried to combine a few that were mentioned once With other similar entries.

I will make a list which WILL narrow the entries down....a bit.....but I will need help on the follow up.
I figure at that point we could arrange a voting thread....which I have know idea how to do.
For those in the know please reach out to me so we can accomplish this task!

So without further adieu...

1) Planning & Research...R2R, BRS, Youtube Books, magazines.

2) Have patience....take your time.

3) Invest in good equipment...Get the biggest tank you can afford.

4) Don’t chase numbers....Maintain Stability.

5) Have regimental tank care, test weekly and keep a log.

6) Use Reef 2 Reef

7) Use RO water only, no tap water.

8) Observe your tank regularly.

9) Quarantine.

10) Use quality test kits.

11) Have back up power as well as equipment.

12) Plan ahead when buying livestock, No impulse buying.

13) Every tank is different. Do not try to emulate another reefers tanks.

14) Be prepared for large water changes.

15) Make changes slowly.

16) Invest in auto water change system.

17) Do not over feed.

18) Do not over react.

19) Know your equipment.

20) Have dedicated equipment solely for your Aquarium use.

21) Use ground probes.

22) Keep your hands out as much as possible.

23) Keep it simple.

24) Less chemicals more natural remedies.

25) Dip your frags.

26) Limit online buying of livestock. In person as much as possible.

27) Do not get discouraged and have fun!

This is a rough list.

The top of the list Has more weight then the bottom but there are many entries that were equal.
The importance is general and subjective. In total I think it’s a great list but if you want a more stringent list we have work to do.
Thanks to all the reefers that added their input and those still that will.
Happing Reefing All.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back