R2R's Favorite Shrimp is....VOTE HERE

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 36 5.2%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 69 9.9%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 62 8.9%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 210 30.1%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 145 20.8%
  • Sexy Anemone Shrimp

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • Camel Shrimp

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.1%
  • NO shrimp in my tank

Votes: 50 7.2%

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blood red shrimp my husband picked out for over 8 years. It was great. My peppermint shrimp are only really in my qt tank to take care of aiptasia as they seem to not survive long in my main system. Not sure why although in the past I think it was wrasses.
I love sexy shrimp in my 6g. They are active and out and kids get a kick out of them.
I have had the anemone shrimp (pederson and white spots) and they are great but seem more fragile.
Forgot about my immortal pistol shrimp. Love him, but do not dare add him to the 210g. He lives in a qt tank or 6g.

So, I do not have a favorite really. I like sexies, but in my 210g, they get lost and my wrasse will snack on them.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love shrimp - the blood fire is just amazing. Mine passed away last year and I have not gotten another because I will soon have a flame hawk and I fear it will become a snack. I wonder if the longnose hawk would eat shrimp? I could put one in the nano ... hmmm.....
I voted other because I am just a huge fan of Bruce @OneInchPunch .... that is just the coolest creature alive. Sorry, Bruce ... I will call the Mantis a write in vote.
My long nosed hawk hasn’t touched either of my two peppermint

konafiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why?

Pro's - I always have had skunk shrimp. The most active and annoying shrimp money can buy. I am addicted to their own individual personalities. Some will just hang on your arm while you do maintenance. Others will follow you around to see what you are doing. They even come up to the glass and ask for food.
Cons -They rob corals and anemones for food even after you gave them their own chunk.
I never had one kill and eat a coral. Only irritate the world out of them.

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank?

I have had, reef lobster - coral banded - peppermint shrimp
They just don't do much other than cause problems when you aren't looking.

Blood Shrimp, this guy is very shy and never could get it to come out during the day. So beautiful, yet.. Never got to fully enjoy having the blood shrimp.
My skunk shrimp was visible for about a month. None of the fish wanted anything to do with his cleaning station. It has been hiding ever since. I don't know how it is still alive because I can't get close enough to feed it without the fish rushing in to take it's food and scaring it back into it's hole.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for peppermint as I have two of those. They give manicures. They ate those pesky torches, frogspawn, and hammers in the tank. I like shrimp but won’t be getting any more lps til they are gone

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a shrimp quesadilla for lunch. Delicious. Does that count?

I'd go with the Fire Shrimp all day long. Only downside is that they can rip corals apart if you target feed, and you rarely see them during the day. Personally, I wouldn't trust any shrimp around fleshy LPS corals.

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to have shrimp…. So would my fish, which have grown pretty large and would consider them gourmet delicacies.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My skunk shrimp was visible for about a month. None of the fish wanted anything to do with his cleaning station. It has been hiding ever since. I don't know how it is still alive because I can't get close enough to feed it without the fish rushing in to take it's food and scaring it back into it's hole.
Cases like this, I make sure there's a lot of broadcasted food for the fish to chase, and then target feed the shrimp.

chunkylovah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blood red fire shrimp for me. I like function. Cleaner shrimp are to aggressive of eaters and will take food from others and act psycho. Blood reds tend to be more low key and like to hide

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk shrimp in our reef tank! Shrimp can be very cool additions to your aquarium for multiple reasons including but not limited to activity, looks, cleaning up food, poo, fish and much more! They can be stunningly beautiful as well as hard working and beneficial to the ecosystem of your reef aquarium. Let's talk about them!

1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why? Don't say FRIED! :p

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank? Which ones?

bigstock-Nice-Color-Doctor-Shrimp-Sea-A-282499024.jpg

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted harlequin shrimp as think these look the coolest but ive never had one.

I have 1 tiger pistol shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimps in my tank at moment but looking at getting a coral banded shrimp in near future but not decided 100% yet

Edit : as post above says about they exclusively eat starfish,this is reason why wont have one.if could say keep asterina starfish in the sump or in my qt tank then would get one defo
If you get the coral banded shrimp make sure to only get the pigmy breed. Otherwise they will catch, kill and eat your gobies, mandarins and Jawfish if you have them.

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had large snapper for over 6 years. Sometimes you would think the glass broke over how loud it was. I like to watch the way my banded coral goes through the molting process.
CAEC5554-DF42-4F5A-BD74-10BF6619E5D7.jpeg

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk shrimp in our reef tank! Shrimp can be very cool additions to your aquarium for multiple reasons including but not limited to activity, looks, cleaning up food, poo, fish and much more! They can be stunningly beautiful as well as hard working and beneficial to the ecosystem of your reef aquarium. Let's talk about them!

1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why? Don't say FRIED! :p

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank? Which ones?

bigstock-Nice-Color-Doctor-Shrimp-Sea-A-282499024.jpg
I "had" cleaner shrimp but my "reef" safe wrasse got tired of what I was feeding him and one day when I was out of town there was no more cleaner shrimp. Oddly he's not eating the peppermint shrimp. Sometimes I wish he would! Feeding my anemones is always a chore with that peppermint shrimp. But I really love the blood shrimp. I had a tank issue, dosing peroxide, and lost one.

20210805_164130.jpg

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. They’re all just the worst. I currently have a coral banded shrimp, but I’ve owned all of the popular ones at one point or another (except harlequins), and they all walk over corals, steal food from corals, and are just obnoxious. The CBS I have now is on the verge of being taken back to the LFS, she’s a hateful and deranged tyrant and war criminal.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back