R2R's Favorite Shrimp is....VOTE HERE

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 36 5.2%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 69 9.9%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 62 8.9%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 210 30.1%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 145 20.8%
  • Sexy Anemone Shrimp

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • Camel Shrimp

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.1%
  • NO shrimp in my tank

Votes: 50 7.2%

• Total voters

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire shrimp is pretty much my biggest purchase regret. Wanted one so bad but it literally does nothing. Kinda like when you wanted to date the hottest girl in High School only to realize she is one cold fish.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. They’re all just the worst. I currently have a coral banded shrimp, but I’ve owned all of the popular ones at one point or another (except harlequins), and they all walk over corals, steal food from corals, and are just obnoxious. The CBS I have now is on the verge of being taken back to the LFS, she’s a hateful and deranged tyrant and war criminal.
I agree! My blood shrimp was less aggressive though.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the coral banded shrimp make sure to only get the pigmy breed. Otherwise they will catch, kill and eat your gobies, mandarins and Jawfish if you have them.
Ok will bare this in mind if decide to get one.as knew could get blue and yellow legged but never heard of pygmy variant.
I got a yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp at moment and possible may get some kind of sand sifting goby/ or jawfish in 6 months when my tank 1 years old to get sandbed more established first.
The ywg very rarely comes out onto the sandbed ,just sits and sticks his head out a rock i hollowed out and they use as there main entrance and when does its if he spots bit off food on sandbed or his buddy the pistol coming out for whatever reason.maybe the pistol shrimp would stick up for him? Or think it every fish/ shrimo for himself ha ha

Screenshot_20210805-230435_Gallery.jpg

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and grits.
IMG_1723 (1).jpg

sorry @revhtree :cool:
ok... fav is a harie.

had a harlie, 2 jumbo skunk cleaners (size according to lfs posting tiny shrimp as medium to large :rolleyes: ) and 2 large blood.
down to one large blood. the rest disappeared completely. no body parts... zip... zero... nadda.
Dude, that looks delicious

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put down Banded coral shrimp, but I love all shrimps and lobsters especially the mantis shrimp.Currently have a banded coral shrimp,a Peppermint and a very well behaved Mantis of 5 cm.

Last edited:

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and grits.
IMG_1723 (1).jpg

sorry @revhtree :cool:
ok... fav is a harie.

had a harlie, 2 jumbo skunk cleaners (size according to lfs posting tiny shrimp as medium to large :rolleyes: ) and 2 large blood.
down to one large blood. the rest disappeared completely. no body parts... zip... zero... nadda.
My favorite!! Maybe blackened?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I can't have any. Bought 3 peppermint and saw yellow wrasse eat one end haven't seen the other 2.

When you say yellow wrasse, is it Halichoeres chrysus? That's fairly unusual for them. I had one that was pushing 6" and he never bothered my shrimp or any other inverts. Just goes to show they're all individuals.

Blood red fire shrimp for me. I like function. Cleaner shrimp are to aggressive of eaters and will take food from others and act psycho. Blood reds tend to be more low key and like to hide

My Blood Shrimp were shy and hid.....for the first year or year and a half. Now they are every bit as aggressive as any skunk cleaner I've had. When I feed my RFA's with chunks of LRS I have to stand over them with a long pair of forceps and chase the two Blood shrimp off.....repeatedly. Only once the anemone has completely engulfed the food do they cease and desist!

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say yellow wrasse, is it Halichoeres chrysus? That's fairly unusual for them. I had one that was pushing 6" and he never bothered my shrimp or any other inverts. Just goes to show they're all individuals.

My Blood Shrimp were shy and hid.....for the first year or year and a half. Now they are every bit as aggressive as any skunk cleaner I've had. When I feed my RFA's with chunks of LRS I have to stand over them with a long pair of forceps and chase the two Blood shrimp off.....repeatedly. Only once the anemone has completely engulfed the food do they cease and desist!
Yellow coris wrasse

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Do they eat large Brittle stars or just the meaty starfish? I would love a pair but I have a 6 year old brittle star that I don't want eaten.
To be honest I don't know. I read somewhere they avoid bristles but I wouldn't know. Mine feasts on asterinas and then chocolate chips once that was done. Kind of expensive diet but I love it.

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pistols. I have a tiger pistol who lives with my pink spot. And I have a Purple Claw who does not pair but is absolutely stunning. He's the closest I'll get to a Peacock Mantis. That's my dream shrimp to own

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my fire shrimp for looks but god he doesnt do anything but steal food when i feed. Great looker but bad Cleaner.

my 2 male sexy shrimp dont really do much besides moving homes from Frogspawn to RBTA daily.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back