R2R's Next BIG Author Contest!! May the best article win!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next Big Author R2R.jpg

CALLING ALL WRITERS and ASPIRING WRITERS!! REEF2REEF is offering YOU a chance to win CASH for CREATIVE CONTENT!

Welcome to R2R's Next BIG Author Contest! May the best article win!!

So...here's how it works...

The Prize(s):
  1. The GRAND PRIZE is $100 cash to the writer whose article selected as the BEST submission!
  2. As a RUNNER-UP prize, all authors whose articles are published on R2R will receive a cash prize of $30. That means that even if you don't win the GRAND PRIZE, you could still take home $30 for your submission!
How to Enter:
  • Each writer may submit their article(s) by emailing a Word document or PDF file to [email protected]. (Please put "R2R's Next BIG Author Contest" in the subject line of the email.)
  • Once you have entered (or if you are interested in entering), please make a post in this thread so that we can be sure you are included in a special usergroup we will be creating for content writers.

Guidelines for Entries:

There's no limit to number of submissions allowed, but the following criteria do apply to all submissions:

Entries must be submitted no later than May 1st to be considered (or until we have at least 15 entries). It will take us some time to go through the entries, so we will plan to announce the winner on May 15th.

Be sure to include your R2R username on all submissions so we know which ones are yours.

Purpose Statement: The goal of articles published at R2R is to provide a broad range of informative and useful content for saltwater aquarium hobbyists.

Format:
  1. Articles must include photos. They say a picture is worth a thousand words (except when it comes to guideline #2). One thing's for sure, pictures make reading articles more enjoyable. Please be sure you have at least 2 pictures in any article submitted (you can always use any pictures you find at Reef2Reef.com as long as you give credit to the member who posted them). Do NOT use pictures that are not your own without giving credit to the photographer.
  2. Articles must be at least 600 words in length.
  3. Articles should be submitted as MS Word documents or as PDF files.
Well written:
  1. The content is clear and concise, and the spelling and grammar are correct (we have editors who can help with meeting this requirement, so reach out to the staff if you want to submit an article to an editor for help in checking and correcting these issues); and
  2. Must be useful and informative
  3. Uses appropriate diction
Verifiable:
  1. If applicable, it contains a list of any references used (sources of information).
  2. All citations are from reliable sources, including those for direct quotations, statistics, published opinion, and counter-intuitive or controversial statements that are challenged or likely to be challenged.
  3. It contains no copyright violations nor plagiarism.
  4. While differences of opinion among articles will be tolerated, articles containing information that is deemed to be incorrect will be rejected.
Coherent:
  1. It stays focused on the topic addressed.
  2. Ensures any use of creative illustrations informs the reader rather than distracting them.
Fair:
  1. Opinions abound in this hobby, and there are 1000's of ways to keep a reef. Be sure you represent when a statement you make is a matter of opinion rather than purely factual.
  2. Be fair to the opinions and viewpoints of others even when disagreeing with them.
Article deadline:

We are accepting articles until we get to our minimum requirement of 15 entries, so please continue to submit your articles!

We've added a list of topic ideas that you can find by clicking HERE!

Now...dust off those keyboards and let the writing BEGIN!!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm excited about this! If you're interested please let us know!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
List of subjects or just our imagination?
Anything you can think of! I'll talk to Rev to see if there's a list of ideas we can post up, but honestly, sky's the limit!

Here's a list of ideas that I've got on hand:

Some general article ideas:
  • DIY Feature – Article on some DIY reef innovation (could be equipment, chemistry, etc.). Basically a how-to-do-it-yourself article on something useful and not easily figured out by most people without some instruction.
  • Zoa Spotlight - Article spotlighting some specific zoa
  • LPS Spotlight - Article spotlighting some specific LPS
  • SPS Spotlight - Article spotlighting some specific SPS.
  • NPS Spotlight – Yeah…you get the idea…
  • Fish Spotlight - Spotlight article on a specific fish species.
  • Featured Pest / Tank Terror - Anything from a particular nuisance algae to cyano, AEFW, fish disease (ICH, velvet)...you name it...anything that is an aggravation in this hobby that can be a plague to hobbyists.
  • Equipment Feature - This could be a review of a specific new piece of equipment (i.e. Radion G4) or it might just be a general article on skimmers or ATO's, etc. I'd be looking at full out reviews for specific items, but for the general items focus on general function, benefits, best practices, price range, etc. The sky's the limit.
    clip_image001.png
  • Incredible Invert Article – pick your favorite invert and write about it
Some more specific ideas:
  • An article about the basics of working with acrylic
  • DIY article on working with LEDs
  • Articles on Reef Photography – Here are a few ideas for articles on reef photography:
    • Integrity in reef photography
    • The over-saturation question - what a picture should or shouldn't look like (I would include how to avoid crying "wolf" over every coral picture that looks decent)
    • Taking pics under actinics
    • In-tank photography - Getting your camra wet (underwater cameras, etc.)
    • Taking quality videos
    • Fun with reef photography (creative ideas)
  • Redundancy in Reefing - how having various fail-safes could save your tank
  • Recovering from a crash
  • The Benefits of Reefing in Community - Why Local Reef Clubs are important
  • How to Start a Reef Club
  • Articles on latest crazes (WD, Bounce Shroom), etc.)
  • Exotic Seahares - Here's a link that sparked the idea: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/exotic-sea-hares.220854/
  • Pygmy Seahorses - like the ones here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/has-anyone-ever-tried-keeping-pygmy-seahorses.220871/
  • Aquascaping how to’s
  • What to look for when picking a skimmer
  • What to look for when selecting LED lighting
  • More DIY article ideas:
    • battery backup
    • Auto Top Off
    • Apex break-out box
    • Apex Alarms (e.g. sump level, wet floor, etc)
    • Sump design
    • sump room electrical panel
    • Fault-tolerant electrical design ideas
    • the basics of working with acrylic
    • working with LEDs
    • plumbing
  • An article on reefer acronyms and slang
  • Equipment reviews and explanations
  • Sponges (care, fragging and different types)
  • Encouraging bonded pairs for certain species
  • Common misconceptions/old wives tales in the hobby
  • Flow
  • Plumbing (head loss compensation, size of pumps needed, etc.) (maybe include calculators?)
  • Skimmers (circulating vs non-circulating)
  • ATO options and designs
  • Auto water changes with equipment lists
  • Water chemistry for beginners: keeping water parameters stable, dosing cal, mag, buffers etc.
  • All in 1 on the different reef keeping methods (triton, balling, aquaforest, ect) to make it easier to compare them
  • Filtration: specifically bio media and do we need all that other stuff (purigen, Kent chemi pure, etc.)
  • Alk monitoring options (comparing the available options) …you could include the options that are currently available and also give a nod toward options that are still in the works.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next Big Author R2R.jpg

CALLING ALL WRITERS and ASPIRING WRITERS!! REEF2REEF is offering YOU a chance to win CASH for CREATIVE CONTENT!

The Prize(s):
  1. The GRAND PRIZE is $100 cash to the writer whose article selected as the BEST submission!
  2. As a RUNNER-UP prize, all authors whose articles are published on R2R will receive a cash prize of $30. That means that even if you don't win the GRAND PRIZE, you could still take home $30 for your submission!
How to Enter:
  • Each writer may submit their article(s) by emailing a Word document or PDF file to [email protected]. (Please put "R2R's Next BIG Author Contest" in the subject line of the email.)
  • Once you have entered (or if you are interested in entering), please make a post in this thread so that we can be sure you are included in a special usergroup we will be creating for content writers.

Guidelines for Entries:

There's no limit to number of submissions allowed, but the following criteria do apply to all submissions:

Entries must be submitted no later than May 1st to be considered (or until we have at least 15 entries). It will take us some time to go through the entries, so we will plan to announce the winner on May 15th.

Be sure to include your R2R username on all submissions so we know which ones are yours.

Purpose Statement: The goal of articles published at R2R is to provide a broad range of informative and useful content for saltwater aquarium hobbyists.

Format:
  1. Articles must include photos. They say a picture is worth a thousand words (except when it comes to guideline #2). One thing's for sure, pictures make reading articles more enjoyable. Please be sure you have at least 2 pictures in any article submitted (you can always use any pictures you find at Reef2Reef.com as long as you give credit to the member who posted them). Do NOT use pictures that are not your own without giving credit to the photographer.
Well written:
  1. The content is clear and concise, and the spelling and grammar are correct (we have editors who can help with meeting this requirement, so reach out to the staff if you want to submit an article to an editor for help in checking and correcting these issues); and
Verifiable:
  1. If applicable, it contains a list of any references used (sources of information).
  2. All citations are from reliable sources, including those for direct quotations, statistics, published opinion, and counter-intuitive or controversial statements that are challenged or likely to be challenged.
  4. While differences of opinion among articles will be tolerated, articles containing information that is deemed to be incorrect will be rejected.
Coherent:
  2. Avoids unnecessary detail.
  3. Ensures any use of creative illustrations informs the reader rather than distracting them.
Fair:
  1. Opinions abound in this hobby, and there are 1000's of ways to keep a reef. Be sure you represent when a statement you make is a matter of opinion rather than purely factual.
  2. Be fair to the opinions and viewpoints of others even when disagreeing with them.
Article deadline:

All articles must be submitted by May 1st for consideration as entries. Winner will be announced on May 15th.

Haha very strict rules for a creative competition : P

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you think was overly strict about them?
I wasn't trying to start anything so I'll just briefly explain the big one, imo:

14. Avoids unnecessary detail. - this is probably the one that could end up being the most restrictive. Whether certain details are unnecessary is definitely a matter of personal opinion. Many writers use a ton of detail in their writing to make the reader feel like they are there or experiencing what the writer is describing. Some may deem this unnecessary and that the content itself is all that matters, while others enjoy it and believe it makes the actual information hit harder by engrossing the reader. I for one would prefer an entertaining article vs a robot article about the same subject.

Just sayin.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to start writing Reefing After Dark – Bioluminescence in the Reef Aquarium - Part 2. I can't guarantee I will get an entry in on time but I will be working on part 2 once I get some research documented.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

Here ya go buddy! We need your copper article!

Yeah yeah, I'm working on it. I will def write the article. I just am holding off to see if Hanna will validate. I think they will based on recent conversations with them. In the case that they don't, I would have to write the article from a different angle... Know what I'm saying?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't trying to start anything
Absolutely no worries! I asked not as a challenge, but bc we really don't want to be overly strict or for anyone to feel like they can't be creative. :) Btw, I am glad you gave us the feedback so we can hopefully help clear up any confusion and make any needed corrections ESPECIALLY as we are just getting started with the contest...now is the best time to get it right! :D
so I'll just briefly explain the big one, imo:

14. Avoids unnecessary detail. - this is probably the one that could end up being the most restrictive. Whether certain details are unnecessary is definitely a matter of personal opinion. Many writers use a ton of detail in their writing to make the reader feel like they are there or experiencing what the writer is describing. Some may deem this unnecessary and that the content itself is all that matters, while others enjoy it and believe it makes the actual information hit harder by engrossing the reader. I for one would prefer an entertaining article vs a robot article about the same subject.

Just sayin.
I absolutely agree! We hope people will be creative in the content. The main point here was to try to keep people from "chasing rabbits" that distract from the point they're trying to make in their article. However, I can absolutely see how this line itself might stifle creativity by some who are worried about it more than we intended. So...I'll strike that one out so that it doesn't confuse anyone. Thanks for the feedback! Thanks for giving us the chance to interact with you on it and make a needed correction.

Please don't ever worry about letting us know if you find something confusing or (as in this case) conflicting with the goal. In any case, we always want to hear from you guys, and even though we may not always take every suggestion given, we do really value them and listen to what you guys say.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the comments. This is new to us so we can tweak the details and rules as we go to make it better. Hope some of you writers will give it a shot!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and the chances of us using your submissions are GREAT!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next Big Author R2R.jpg

The Prize(s):
How to Enter:

Guidelines for Entries:

Format:
Well written:
Verifiable:
Coherent:
  2. Ensures any use of creative illustrations informs the reader rather than distracting them.
Fair:
Article deadline:

All articles must be submitted by May 1st for consideration as entries. Winner will be announced on May 15th.

Next Big Author R2R.jpg

The Prize(s):
How to Enter:

Guidelines for Entries:

Format:
Well written:
Verifiable:
Coherent:
Fair:
Article deadline:

Oh and the chances of us using your submissions are GREAT!
Yes, I'm interested...

Back