Rabb.D's 2 foot reef tank 14 gallon with sump

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone at reef2reef, greetings from Malaysia, I just started a slow but cheap build with a 60x30x36cm nano tank, sump included.

equipment

tank
2 foot tank crystal clear
2 foot sump

temperature
Hailea Chiller hs-28a

stand
Aluminum custom made

filtration
bubble magus hob bracket
bubble magus 4 inch filter sock

lighting
red sea 90

flow
nero 3 ai x1
jebao x1

skimmer
bubble magus curve 3 extreme

return pump
sunsun 2000lph
sunsun 2500lph

overflow
viv overflow

hardscape
shallow sand bed
dry rock

20230121_210825.jpg

20230120_093711 (1).jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank setup. What are your plans for the tank? Fish only? Mixed reef?

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too sure depends on budget... I want to get my parameters right first I'll have to buy hanna checker for alkalinity nitrate and phosphate

I really wish this to be a mixed nano reef so we will see how it will go... regardless I'm taking it slow.

Thinking maybe goby only or clownfish with wrasse ... but corals are definitely in the books maybe soft coral first...

Any input?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too sure depends on budget... I want to get my parameters right first I'll have to buy hanna checker for alkalinity nitrate and phosphate

I really wish this to be a mixed nano reef so we will see how it will go... regardless I'm taking it slow.

Thinking maybe goby only or clownfish with wrasse ... but corals are definitely in the books maybe soft coral first...

Any input?
Yep you've got the right attitude to do well. My only advice would be buy the coral you like, go slow, and enjoy the process. That's 90% of the fun

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you've got the right attitude to do well. My only advice would be buy the coral you like, go slow, and enjoy the process. That's 90% of the fun
Yea it truly is... taking everything slow and making sure everything is in order before plunging head in is more satisfying and more gratifying rather than making mistakes and regretting it later

I hope to make sure my knowledge in live stock is there before I start stocking my tank

Really don't want anything to perish

Most of my equipment are there so might be filling with water soon just looking to get another viv overflow for ease of maintenance

Will be posting more pics once it's filled with saltwater will be using red sea pro

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi imo just get the alk and phos hanna use another kit like salifert for nitrates..... i think these will serve you better ....good looking setup so far

I want to get my parameters right first I'll have to buy hanna checker for alkalinity nitrate and phosphate

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plan. Nothing good happens in this hobby quickly. ;)
Yes I realized that got to make sure there's no regre
Hi imo just get the alk and phos hanna use another kit like salifert for nitrates..... i think these will serve you better ....good looking setup so far
Thanks...Yes I'll take ur advice im just not keen on spending unless it's crucial if so then I won't skip the purchase but I went on youtube and watch brstv and they recommend alkalinity phosphate and nitrate but I'll go without nitrates if I can cut back on spending

Might fill with water soon will update... tq for the reply

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it truly is... taking everything slow and making sure everything is in order before plunging head in is more satisfying and more gratifying rather than making mistakes and regretting it later

I hope to make sure my knowledge in live stock is there before I start stocking my tank

Really don't want anything to perish

Most of my equipment are there so might be filling with water soon just looking to get another viv overflow for ease of maintenance

Will be posting more pics once it's filled with saltwater will be using red sea pro
Good to be cautious and prepared. Great starting point.

Just be prepared. Losses happen. The BEST aquarists still lose fish and coral from time to time. Be kind to yourself and know that it's all about learning and doing your best. I know I took it super hard when I lost my first fish.

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to be cautious and prepared. Great starting point.

Just be prepared. Losses happen. The BEST aquarists still lose fish and coral from time to time. Be kind to yourself and know that it's all about learning and doing your best. I know I took it super hard when I lost my first fish.
I agree... I have less problems with fish then with corals to tell you the truth I've rarely bought some corals just due to worry and fretting whether they will survive... fishes are not an issue... in fact prior it was mostly fowlr... even if I bought the one or two corals they never fare well... hoping of overcoming this this time around...

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm waiting for my two powered heads rated 2000lph and 2500lph then will be testing out the viv overflow once both arrives... which could take sometime due to the one week long holiday season... maybe next week

So its time to get hands wet soon...hehehe

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yas thank you.... does that mean I can add extra livestock...
For livestock there are considerations. 1st--filtration. If you can handle heavy bioload with biopellets and an oversized skimmer that's controlled. 2nd--space requirements. Certain fish need certain amounts of swimming space or rock hidey holes no matter what. 3rd--compatibility. Splitting up fish shapes and levels of aquarium/wild food niches can prevent clashing.

Essentially you've got bullet point 1 well covered. 2 and 3 depend on stocking choices

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For livestock there are considerations. 1st--filtration. If you can handle heavy bioload with biopellets and an oversized skimmer that's controlled. 2nd--space requirements. Certain fish need certain amounts of swimming space or rock hidey holes no matter what. 3rd--compatibility. Splitting up fish shapes and levels of aquarium/wild food niches can prevent clashing.

Essentially you've got bullet point 1 well covered. 2 and 3 depend on stocking choices

Yes true... regardless I'm more fascinated with goby's they're so cute so maybe If I have cecopod I'm my tank ill keep mandarin goby
And then Maybe a wrasse and I think that's it

Are mandarin goby difficult or feasible???

I'm also adding carbon filter it once it arrives

OP
OP
R

Rabb.D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon arrived...now waiting for return pumps.. acclimatization drip... venturi hose for the viv overflow... and maybe another viv overflow

20230202_104327.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back