Rabbitfish Poop

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to be difficult to explain but the best way I can put it is my scribbled rabbitfish has been pooping weird today. Ever see a Euphylia poop that brown slime out of its mouth. Thats what it resembles. Almost like cyanobacteria. Has anyone seen anything like this before. Unfortunately can't grab a picture as the fish is skittish and darts away if I get to close to the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid description (grin). So - my general rule is you shouldn’t see poop hanging out of your fish...can be a sign of the internal parasites, or simply constipation. Have you recently changed its diet? Can you add more roughage? Bok Choy cabbage leaves work well if it will eat them. Dried (not roasted) Nori is another option.

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid description (grin). So - my general rule is you shouldn’t see poop hanging out of your fish...can be a sign of the internal parasites, or simply constipation. Have you recently changed its diet? Can you add more roughage? Bok Choy cabbage leaves work well if it will eat them. Dried (not roasted) Nori is another option.

Jay

Hey Jay. The fish is eating nori twice a day on the clip. I feed smaller portions multiple times per day. It also eats a combination of mysis, brine, and LRS when I feed the rest of the tank. It didn't seem like the usual internal parasite poo, white and stringy. It was literally brown and just staright mucus. Happened a couple of times today. The fish also pooped normal in between as well.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

20200810_214226.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen brine is also a good laxative, so slow transit time shouldn’t be an issue then. Sorry, I’ve got nothing else.

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen brine is also a good laxative, so slow transit time shouldn’t be an issue then. Sorry, I’ve got nothing else.

Jay

No worries. I actually think it may be diarrhea. Saw undigested bryopsis in the poop.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I actually think it may be diarrhea. Saw undigested bryopsis in the poop.
Oh - that’s a good thing then, lots of roughage!
Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - that’s a good thing then, lots of roughage!
Jay

Jay, do you think this is just related to eating some type of algea growing in the tank. I do have GC I can feed to the fish but didn't want to medicate if not necessary.

Back