RACKS OR TANKS? Where do you put your FRAG in front of?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 23 slot acrylic magnet frag rack has not seen a stick in months! So I built a nifty stand and got me a 50 gallon Low Boy.

That Green Toadstool Leather in the background is soon going to be cloned somewhere in the area of 40 frags

Where do your extra corals hang out?
BB067A6C-A827-4859-A895-F396659A5749.jpeg
E048ECC4-5C81-4E71-8E24-2B877EAFD96A.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do with your growing and maturing frags? Are you profitable? Would like to know. Thx.

I sell or trade them. Not profitable right now, but drastically reduces the cost of the hobby. A lot of them go to a couple different local LFS.

Longer story is I had to mostly get rid of everything due to some health issues a few years ago I did not have time to maintain that much coral so the past year been mostly about acquiring coral again and just in the past few months have I started selling/trading again. Prior to that shutdown though I was going to a lot of frag swaps and when doing that I was profitable in the sense that I was bring in a decent amount more than what I was paying for coral/equipment on an ongoing basis. If you factored in the initial investment, electricity, and value of my time I would have still been far from profitable. Growing/fragging coral though is just where I just have my passion for the hobby.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell or trade them. Not profitable right now, but drastically reduces the cost of the hobby. A lot of them go to a couple different local LFS.

Longer story is I had to mostly get rid of everything due to some health issues a few years ago I did not have time to maintain that much coral so the past year been mostly about acquiring coral again and just in the past few months have I started selling/trading again. Prior to that shutdown though I was going to a lot of frag swaps and when doing that I was profitable in the sense that I was bring in a decent amount more than what I was paying for coral/equipment on an ongoing basis. If you factored in the initial investment, electricity, and value of my time I would have still been far from profitable. Growing/fragging coral though is just where I just have my passion for the hobby.
Well it sounds like you’re moving in a positive direction health wise, I hope that’s true. I just moved the new stand and empty lowboy into place last night. My goal for now anyhow is fragging a large Tyree Green Toadstool Leather. Making a million dollars and fully retiring. Okay some of that is not true. But the Toadstool part is. I’m wanting to grow them out to good size and sell in a year or two when they’re of value. What do you think?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it sounds like you’re moving in a positive direction health wise, I hope that’s true. I just moved the new stand and empty lowboy into place last night. My goal for now anyhow is fragging a large Tyree Green Toadstool Leather. Making a million dollars and fully retiring. Okay some of that is not true. But the Toadstool part is. I’m wanting to grow them out to good size and sell in a year or two when they’re of value. What do you think?
What’s the going rate for a frag of that toadstool ?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to clarify I am far from an expert on this again I just do it because I enjoy it. I would say though that from a perspective of making any money growing out a frag for a year or two to a good size in my experience is not worth it. I mean if you are growing them out because you want to then it is worth it. If you are trying to offset some of your expenditures and make some money off them it almost always makes sense to cut the frags and keep them just long enough they heal and are looking healthy. Lots of people complain about the size of small frags, but the other side of that is most people dont want to pay the cost of a colony sized piece :)

Would also say that selling them I think depends on your location and the market of people interested in coral.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the going rate for a frag of that toadstool ?
Great question and the very reason I’ve purchased this tank. A good price is $40 for a 1” frag. Most online site have this coral as “out of stock”. As you well know the larger the colony the more money. So I’m fine with fragging mine and sitting on them for a year or more and then selling. Maybe $100 for one the size of your fist. We’ll see.
C12AB10E-02B9-46FF-A353-BDF580A631C6.jpeg

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and the very reason I’ve purchased this tank. A good price is $40 for a 1” frag. Most online site have this coral as “out of stock”. As you well know the larger the colony the more money. So I’m fine with fragging mine and sitting on them for a year or more and then selling. Maybe $100 for one the size of your fist. We’ll see.
C12AB10E-02B9-46FF-A353-BDF580A631C6.jpeg
Yes, I think I paid about $45 for mine. It wasn’t listed as a Tyree but it’s the same coral I’m sure.
Id say go for it but only if you love doing it. I would really enjoy doing the same thing.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think I paid about $45 for mine. It wasn’t listed as a Tyree but it’s the same coral I’m sure.
Id say go for it but only if you love doing it. I would really enjoy doing the same thing.
Well another angle here is market locations. In my world presently there are:
1. Reef2reef
2. Local fish stores
3. Az. reef club
4. An Aquarium maintenance company I know.
5. Offerup
6. Marketplace
I’ll try them all and then some. See who bites.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t grow a ton of frags out, I would cut it to the size you want in the display to grow back out. Then what you cut off make a few large frags, rubberband them to a rock and let them heal for a few weeks then sell. Maybe grow out a few pieces to sell, re frag, or to have as back up colonies in case something happens.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t grow a ton of frags out, I would cut it to the size you want in the display to grow back out. Then what you cut off make a few large frags, rubberband them to a rock and let them heal for a few weeks then sell. Maybe grow out a few pieces to sell, re frag, or to have as back up colonies in case something happens.
Great advice. Would you take the mother colony and frag her in the frag tank. Let her heal. Then return after a couple of weeks?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh cuts though would produce toxins no?
As mentioned earlier it is common practice to cut frags off leathers where they sit in your dt. Moving it to a new environment such as your frag tank then putting it back again would be putting it under unnecessary extra stress. Jmo

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
As mentioned earlier it is common practice to cut frags off leathers where they sit in your dt. Moving it to a new environment such as your frag tank then putting it back again would be putting it under unnecessary extra stress. Jmo
es, good information thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back