Radiant Wrasse Still Scratching After TTM and Hypo

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a radiant wrasse that went through TTM and now in Hypo (1.009) for 12 days, but the guys still occasionally scratches/rubs against PVC, specifically targeting the mouth/nose/head area. And he does what seems like twisting/shaking his head trying to get rid of something. I don't know what to treat for at the moment, and could really use a pointer here.

Thanks!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo should have taken care of flukes, TTM take care of ich. So could be velvet, or bacterial or ???

Any other signs? where the treatments you did prophylactic or because of observed infection?

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other signs, thats why I'm scratching my head too. I do have a black molly in there to detect external parasites but the BM looks fine. BTW, I did the modified TTM (transfer every 36 hours). But again, this particular radiant wrasse has been scratching since day 1, non stop! (I've had him for almost 2 months now, still in QT). It looks very much like hes trying to shake something off, but I cant figure out if its flukes or ich/velvet still

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand in there ? It may be looking for sand. Or it could be the sites the fluke where attached to is healing and it’s just scratching it

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I put a cup of sand in there for him and two other leopard wrasses to sleep in. I did fw before, nothing came off. Then I did TTM with 2 GC doses. Now 12 days in true hypo but he's still scratching. I do see scratching/rubbing/twisting head and yawning from time to time, everything pointing towards flukes but I thouhgt hyposalinity will supposedly take care of that. Maybe hypo-resistant flukes...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The General Cure should have taken care of flukes for you. I'd be suspicious of velvet though. There is also something else to consider here. When a fish has parasites and they are all killed, the fish can itch afterwards for a bit. Its like a healing wound.... they can itch as they heal. However, if it's bad enough and with the yawning and stuff I'm suspicious of several things. Could you do another freshwater dip on him? The full 5 minutes with aeration the whole time. See if anything dislodges.

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's really velvet, I think the black molly should definitely show symptoms by now as I have it in the QT with the wrasses for 3 weeks now. I'll do the FW dip tomorrow and post back. Will try to get a video tomorrow too. Thanks all!

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used purified water. RODI from LFS and Distilled from Walmart. TDS is not 0 though.

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to skip the FW dip and went a head with a dose of 2.4ml Prazipro in 10g QT. A couple minutes later, I noticed an increased level of yawning and scratching. What do yall think?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to skip the FW dip and went a head with a dose of 2.4ml Prazipro in 10g QT. A couple minutes later, I noticed an increased level of yawning and scratching. What do yall think?

Flukes spasm when they die from prazipro. It could be that's what's happening to increase the yawning and scratching.... but since there wasn't a freshwater dip done then we can't be totally sure that's what it is.

Back