Radion G5 better than G6 for narrow (18") tank

JKSmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to set up a 72" x 18" x 25" mixed reef tank and my canopy is already routed for 3 Radion XR30's. I was planning on getting G6's, however, now I am wondering if the wider spread of the G6 would just be lost in my narrow tank and the better value would be to go with the G5. Opinions?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XR30 G5s on a 4ft tank and it lights the tank really well. I’d say if you are planning to put 3 XR30s on a 6ft tank then the G5s would work well. Never seen the G6s other than on in-store frag tanks, but from what they said about the increased spread with reduced PAR, I don’t think you want that. As long as you have enough lights, the higher PAR and less spread is better.

Maybe if you were trying to get away with less lights, like 2 XR30s or 4-5 XR15s on the same tank the more spread of a G6 would be best, but 3 XR30s will cover your tank really well so I’d go G5s.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would look at the kessil ap9x for your unique tank dimensions.

The radions will have a LOT of wasted light spread.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dare I say... G4's if you can find some in good condition for a good price... their spectrum is close to G6 without all the waste...

OP
OP
J

JKSmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'll look into all of the above options. I tend to agree that there is probably a better solution than the G6's. I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back