Radion G5 Blue Settings

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the lights for about 2 months now and not really happy with them. I have played with the settings but can not find the best way to go. Today I borrowed a PAR meter from my LFS and tested. I have gone with the AB+ settings at a 40% intensity.

Just curious what others are doing.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your concern? I’m not sure I understand your problem. Can you elaborate?

The whole point of the G5 blue is that you can set all the channels to 100%, adjust your point intensity, and forget it. At 100% on all channels, it’s AB+. If you wanted something else, that’s why they offer the Pro model. TBH, I find myself just setting AB+ on the Pro which makes me wish I had gone with the Blue because I’m sacrificing PAR for white channels I’m not really utilizing now.

OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried AB+ with an overall intensity of 50% and it was a train wreck. I then set somethings manually for a month, not much better. Today using the PAR meter I went back to AB+ and went down to 40% since the PAR values seemed fall in line with what I can find is recommended for my mixed reef system.

My main concern is am I thinking of this incorrectly or no I am just not being patient enough (highly likely)

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what “train wreck” means, but nothing good happens fast with reefing. Corals especially need time to get used to changes. The more you mess with stuff, the longer it will take. I’d leave it where the PAR meter suggested, and then just sit back for a couple of months before making any more changes.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your PAR reading and what PAR number are you looking for? I have a SPS dominant tank and installed G5's Blues at the end of March. So far I like them. The first 6-8 weeks my SPS did not like the change from MH / T5 but that was to be expected. I'm currently having some of the best growth ever and my dkh consumption has increased dramatically.

OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trainwreck means everything gone, lost both SPS and LPS corals. I right now have them setup with the AB+ and par readings of 270 at the highest point with 109 at the lowest.

njudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ at 65% no idea on the par but my first few sps are doing well. 2 xr 15s on a 3 foot tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back