stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't think you will get a strong consensus of opinion for or against any of these options this far away from a product launch.

And that's good because if you posted this right when Sky/G6 launched you would have gotten a bunch of bad advice based on regurgitated marketing saying things like "one light is sufficient for 3ft of tank even when set to AB+ equivalent"

It looks to me like Sky piqued your interest and you have started migrating. You should keep going and go all Sky IMO so you can see first-hand the difference between top-tier lighting platforms. Worst case you sell them second-hand and pick up a few second-hand Radions to revert to what you had.

I would only hesitate if you are hoping a switch will produce a huge difference in performance. At this point, most lighting platforms are equivalent so it mostly comes down to $/W. I would think they would be easy to set up since this is a rebadged Phillips (ie Neptune was prob able to spend their time/money on integration vs design)

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the implications of the 25% discount on Neptune Sky today. Bertram Capital (Aperture) 'runs' these companies (Neptune, BRS and Ecotech) could they be re-positioning the portfolio and getting Neptune out of the lighting business as lighting is one of Ecotech's mainstays? Or Ecotech could be redesigning the Neptune fixture for greater economies of scale, for the greater good of the 'group'? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
From a business point of view, it doesn’t make sense to have two reefing companies/brands that are competing hard against each other. Ecotech Radion seem to have a large chunk of the high end LED market. Compare that to AI that has a cheaper range of LED lighting to hit a different budget point.

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading my lights. Currently have Radion G5 Pros on my 150g corner tank. I'm all apex right now except for my MP40s and my G5s. Should I grab the upgrade kits and get my lights up to G6s or should I take the plunge and move to some Neptune Skys?? I have the Pros now. Should I stick with Pro or go Blue? Decisions, decisions.

I've looked for any reviews or comparisons but they have all be for G5s vs Sky and it's kind of split mainly due to the coverage and the improvements on shadowing with the sky. Now the G6s seem to have a larger spread and less shadow, so perhaps that puts them back ahead of the Sky? Also worried that this is Neptunes first go at lighting... maybe the Sky2 will come sooner than later and be awesome after they address any current Sky complaints.
skys are on sale right now 650 bucks

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
nice! i have 3 now. about to upgrade to a 210g, should be enough lol hopefully
Nice! Talking to one of my new favorite reefers @Jon's Reef and he mocked up a sweet setup for my tank.

2 Skys with the Kessil in the middle. They should all hang nicely from my canopy.

1660443360653.png

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choosing between the above options I would go with EcoTech.

If your 150 corner is shaped the same as my 92corner I think the flexibility of three lights would have to be far better than only two for “real world coverage”
Cant go Ecotech, good hardware but unreliable software.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay the heck away from Ecotech, their software is terrible and will probably be the death of their brand. I am slowly replacing my G5 blues with Sky and feel they are MUCH better, setup is super easy too. The spread on the sky is also much better than the ecotech.

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay the heck away from Ecotech, their software is terrible and will probably be the death of their brand. I am slowly replacing my G5 blues with Sky and feel they are MUCH better, setup is super easy too. The spread on the sky is also much better than the ecotech.
love my sky, have one on my 92g corner reef! have some g4s on my frag tanks and other mp pumps i run from ecotech still. but the sky has been a great and cant see going back to radions, just bought 3 more for my new 125 gallon peninsula build!

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New module was announced mxm which would give you back full control of radions/mps from mobius back to apex

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading my lights. Currently have Radion G5 Pros on my 150g corner tank. I'm all apex right now except for my MP40s and my G5s. Should I grab the upgrade kits and get my lights up to G6s or should I take the plunge and move to some Neptune Skys?? I have the Pros now. Should I stick with Pro or go Blue? Decisions, decisions.

I've looked for any reviews or comparisons but they have all be for G5s vs Sky and it's kind of split mainly due to the coverage and the improvements on shadowing with the sky. Now the G6s seem to have a larger spread and less shadow, so perhaps that puts them back ahead of the Sky? Also worried that this is Neptunes first go at lighting... maybe the Sky2 will come sooner than later and be awesome after they address any current Sky complaints.
You should check out Telegrahm’s (YouTube) break down of a Sky. Cheaply built like most Neptune products. Having taken apart Radions, and having been an electronics technician in the military, I can assure you that they are well built, but not as well built as a Kessil.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check out Telegrahm’s (YouTube) break down of a Sky. Cheaply built like most Neptune products. Having taken apart Radions, and having been an electronics technician in the military, I can assure you that they are well built, but not as well built as a Kessil.
Ecotech does seem like it has good build quality, it’s a shame the software is developed by nudniks.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, just found this post! :) What did you end up doing?

Back