radion g5 or hybrid for large colonies?

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello guys after the many indecisions, I think I will opt to illuminate my reef with the g5 reasons. Mine is a 48x24x24 "full sps dominated reef tank with a 48x16" rock face. In your opinion, how many g5 radions should I use to make my acropora colonies (some quite large) grow well and colorful?
I would like to find the right compromise between savings and the well-being of my acropora. looking on the net I saw that some use these options, in your opinion which one would be the best for my reef?

2 xr30 g5 + 2 led light bars
2 xr30 g5 + 4 t5 bulbs
3 xr30 (positioned parallel or perpendicular to the long side of my reef?)

If you think there is a better option than these three that includes the use of radion, please let me know in the comments

2868232C-63C3-4A8D-B77A-DF94FD5DEBD7.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think there is a better option than these three that includes the use of radion, please let me know in the comments

Peppe,
If the reef is yours in the video (and photo), just keep pushing the same leds.

lol
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a led bar in each corner angled in, then a T5 in the front and back, and Radions in the middle.

If you don't like that option, T5 and Radion hybrid will work great for what you are trying to accomplish.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m kinda with @GoVols on this, your tank looks great! If you want to add some shimmer, just put a couple small Kessil a80’s to get some shimmer lines. Honestly, the only thing I would flip your current lights out for would be Kessil/T5 or halide/T5 (or led bars). Those GNC lights are no joke.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda with @GoVols on this, your tank looks great! If you want to add some shimmer, just put a couple small Kessil a80’s to get some shimmer lines. Honestly, the only thing I would flip your current lights out for would be Kessil/T5 or halide/T5 (or led bars). Those GNC lights are no joke.
Aren’t you a radions fan? why don't you like Radions?

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peppe Hi , can i ask you why are you swapping? You're currently using GNC lights right?

Asking this because I just bought a BluRay Pro and 2 led bars :D

Thank you!
hi, in my opinion Gnc BluRay pro is an amazing led light for both sps and lps corals. I would like to change my current light, only to try others light from competitors.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked at just XR 15s? I have a RS 900 and ran 4 xr-30s perp. to the tank and had a good spread. I started to do some tests as i was trying to repurpose by XR-30s for an upcoming larger tank. I removed two XR-30s from the center and installed three XR-15s in there place. PAR, spread and pentation improved with an overall reduced cost (~400 dollar savings). I will probably remove the remaining two XR-30s and install three more XR-15s...which will be nearly a blanket of light (6 XR-15s over ~78" of tank length).

I dont know which way is better but everything seems to be happy and thriving.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aren’t you a radions fan? why don't you like Radions?
I’m a Kessil user, but I do have an old xr30 gen2 over my nano (got it from my friend) and really don’t like it that much. I’ve seen plenty of tanks that use radions and the corals usually look good, but I’m not a fan of how it makes the tank look. They will absolutely grow and color up sps, but there’s something off to my eye whenever I see those tanks. I think T5’s can make/help any led lit tank look great, but it’s all about blending the two together. Any modern led light can be used to grow and color up sps, it really boils down to aesthetics, coverage and how many fixtures it takes to fully cover a tank.
The problem with the modern reefer is too many choices. It’s fine to experiment, but history has taught me to not mess with success. I totally get wanting to change things up, but completely flipping out lights can have an impact on your animals. If you do change your lights, at least map your tanks par levels and match it as best as you can. Then I would wait a while before you change anything with the new lights to help ease the transition. If this is what you do?

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, in my opinion Gnc BluRay pro is an amazing led light for both sps and lps corals. I would like to change my current light, only to try others light from competitors.
Oh ok , thought you were looking to an improvement because of some flaws with your current light. I've sent you a PM so I don't mess with your thread , good luck on the new light :)

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Kessil user, but I do have an old xr30 gen2 over my nano (got it from my friend) and really don’t like it that much. I’ve seen plenty of tanks that use radions and the corals usually look good, but I’m not a fan of how it makes the tank look. They will absolutely grow and color up sps, but there’s something off to my eye whenever I see those tanks. I think T5’s can make/help any led lit tank look great, but it’s all about blending the two together. Any modern led light can be used to grow and color up sps, it really boils down to aesthetics, coverage and how many fixtures it takes to fully cover a tank.
The problem with the modern reefer is too many choices. It’s fine to experiment, but history has taught me to not mess with success. I totally get wanting to change things up, but completely flipping out lights can have an impact on your animals. If you do change your lights, at least map your tanks par levels and match it as best as you can. Then I would wait a while before you change anything with the new lights to help ease the transition. If this is what you do?
it is always risky to change the lights, but this is what I would like to do. I just have to find the best and at the same time most convenient solution for my reef and my pockets

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in agreement with some of the posts above. You couldnt pay me to make a major change like that if I had colonies that pretty and doing that well. If I wanted to play with new lights, I'd plumb in a frag tank to the main system, take frags from the mother colonies, and then play with the lights over the frags. If they perform well, then I might consider it. But good luck and beautiful tank either way!

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peppe Hi , can i ask you why are you swapping? You're currently using GNC lights right?

Asking this because I just bought a BluRay Pro and 2 led bars :D

Thank you!
How's your GNC Pro coming along. I ordered a GNC M Pro yesterday. And would like to hear from your updates along with you lighting settings, e.g for SPS or mixed reef.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your GNC Pro coming along. I ordered a GNC M Pro yesterday. And would like to hear from your updates along with you lighting settings, e.g for SPS or mixed reef.
Gnc bluray pro is an Amazing Led light. You can see my build thread or My Instagram account for many photos or videos. I've been using it for a year.

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jcosta98 , How's your GNC Pro coming along. I ordered a GNC M Pro yesterday. And would like to hear from your updates along with you lighting settings, e.g for SPS or mixed reef.

p.s. Thank you Peppe; the message supposed for @jcosta98. I have followed you, Bubblemytip and Hellfish on GNC topics for quite sometimes.

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jcosta98 , How's your GNC Pro coming along. I ordered a GNC M Pro yesterday. And would like to hear from your updates along with you lighting settings, e.g for SPS or mixed reef.

p.s. Thank you Peppe; the message supposed for @jcosta98. I have followed you, Bubblemytip and Hellfish on GNC topics for quite sometimes.

I love the light, , I was running 80% whites what ended up bleaching some SPS frags, sitting like 80cm away from the light hahaha , with @Peppe help , I switched my whole light schedule to only 40% White , I'm now running the same schedule as @Peppe , waiting for the results. I'll make a build thread of this aquarium soon

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the light, , I was running 80% whites what ended up bleaching some SPS frags, sitting like 80cm away from the light hahaha , with @Peppe help , I switched my whole light schedule to only 40% White , I'm now running the same schedule as @Peppe , waiting for the results. I'll make a build thread of this aquarium soo
Would you measure the size (mm) of hanging cable hole on the acrylic face plate for me please. Planning to make a DIY lighting mount by installing a long machine screw through it. (I don't like hanging cable method). Thank you.

Last edited:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 3) xr30 blues over my 48x24x16" acro dominant tank. Perpendicular to the length and coverage was great. I wouldn't do any less personally. Judging by that video you'll want the pros. The blues, well, are just that!

Amazing reef, well done!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you measure the size (mm) of hanging cable hole on the acrylic face plate for me please. Planning to make a DIY lighting mount by installing a long machine screw through it. (I don't like hanging cable method). Thank you.

well the lights are still technically hooked in and not a permanent solution the brackets are nice and attach to just about anything. You will have one heck of a time knocking them loose.

I ended up going with a 71” GNC bar and brackets for my Pros

16D9BCA7-433C-4111-9394-AFA438B07AAF.jpeg
FB0BDCD1-3805-4A30-930D-97FA3C6A4279.jpeg

Not to derail @Peppe thread I ran 5 G5 XR30’s over my 8’ but ultimately still got the best coverage by going to 4 Stratons. If I had to do the Radions all over again I would mount them higher using the rail at and use a higher percentage. I did not have colonies but from testing that was my conclusion
02AC43A6-4BA7-4B6B-A7F7-E9AE6BEFF4A3.jpeg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back