Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
I made a video about the two different versions of Radion G5, Pro & Blue.
I bought both of them because I didn't know which one to buy so I decide to make this video to guide you in your decision:

I will be honest the difference is very slim, to a point I asked my self the question; why they made 2 different versions but I understood the reason behind it.
I still think it could have been 1 model but at least like that, it gives the option for peoples who are focus on a specific target.
Here some screenshot of my video:
vlcsnap-2020-04-09-12h46m27s137.png
vlcsnap-2020-04-09-12h47m04s450.png

I'm not sure to understand why their a big visual difference between the two versions for the same Template, perhaps an update could fix that?

You can achieve the same color with both light manually, but where it gets really different is with the Warm White vs Cyan
vlcsnap-2020-04-09-12h46m41s389.png

This is what I believe where the real difference is.

I calculated the power consumption and the Photosynthetic Active Radiation for each individual channel LED.
You can see my table over here:
vlcsnap-2020-04-09-12h46m14s238.png

I have more details in my video but the main point are here.

I used the XR15 to make the video (because I'm not rich lol, quite the opposite actually) but if you want the bigger version XR30 It's exactly the same stuff, it just more LED, the ratio color LED remain the same.
Hope you appreciate this, I made my choice after making this video :)

- Aqua Splendor

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great video! I went with the pros and am happy I did so! The blues are just too blue and if they added about 2 more blue leds I think it would be the perfect gen5

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures don't seem to correctly depict what the blues look like in person. My blues definitely don't look "blue" even with AB+ at 80%
You are correct and in multiple different ways.

I can't replicate exactly what we see in real life, it's near impossible but we can get close.

I didn't touch any video/picture but Codec from the video and... so .. so many stuff goes into this ( I work in VFX, I have to deal with this constantly )

What I did is simply chose one of the default White balance, I selected one that was the most average for each color and reflect a little bit better what I see in real life. From this, I stick with that same white balance and didn't do any alteration.

The main goal was to compare the color for each LED and Light model with the same parameter for everyone. Like this, we can truly make comparison in my opinion. I didn't want to add judgment human error in my work.

To me, the Blue is more pronounced in therm of brightness in real life.

I also believe there's problem with Template in their light with Mobius but that is another story

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fair and valid points...However, if I looked at the pictures I would think “hmm...too blue“ when in person I’d say AB+ on Blues looks very comparable to the Pros pictured. It’s definitely confusing with the “Blue” name. In some ways “Reef” may have been a more suitable name.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracks on both units . Look like someone tightened the screws a bit too much . I’m guessing it’s only cosmetic but still for $800 a piece ... they could have at least checked it before going out .

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you are supposed to run the ab+ template on the blue. The leds were chosen to match ab+ Just set all colors to 100 and adjust the overall intensity. That’s what I saw on a Brs video.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch that hurt!
I would worry for the humidity to get inside over a long period of time
I sent in a request . I saw your videos . Replacing the clear plate is pretty simple .
I don’t think you are supposed to run the ab+ template on the blue. The leds were chosen to match ab+ Just set all colors to 100 and adjust the overall intensity. That’s what I saw on a Brs video.
My initial impressions are these lights are really bright ! I have the blues. My previous lights were the Orphek Atlantik v4.

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a request . I saw your videos . Replacing the clear plate is pretty simple .

My initial impressions are these lights are really bright ! I have the blues. My previous lights were the Orphek Atlantik v4.
How do you like them compared to the Orphek? I am currently using Orphek v4 and am thinking about switching to the g5.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The template AB+ for Blue version Is actually all the LED Active. Of course it's not the same AB+ has the G4 Since now they have Lime/Cyan.

People talk a lot about the AB+ but honestly, I find it a little useless since it's always the same recipe for each version.

My wish over the year is to "Flatten/Smooth" the blue curve special in the UV section were a lot of LED light are lacking.

Curious to know also, I don't own this light.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like them compared to the Orphek? I am currently using Orphek v4 and am thinking about switching to the g5.
I only had them for 2 days . I have 2 on a 57”x33x22 tank. Compared to the v4s they are a lot brighter. I have mostly frags in the tank and I put them at the bottom . I like the blues since it brings out colors not seen with the v4s. I’ll do a test with my par meter today .

Cracking issues aside and if you don’t mind the cost, I would say the new tech has its advantages. I’m leaning towards keeping the G5’s. I have space for a third when the frags grow out .

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Blue and I am glad I did. Visually it definitely doesn't look that blue as shown in the picture here. It actually looks a lot whiter than the AI that I had on the BRS recommended AB+ settings, which surprised me. I believe it's due to the cyan (which looks green) and lime (which looks yellow) LED spectrums. The Blue allows me to run all channels at 100% and still get a more natural reef look.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you want all blue you would keep only UV Royal and Blue. All other coloers set to zero?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back